RDR 2

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
multiplayer will be less shit with people to play with on pc though innit
good addition to the library
Well RDR 2 uses the same flawed networking as GTA V that does nothing to prevent cheaters so I very much doubt that.

ddæ

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
Well RDR 2 uses the same flawed networking as GTA V that does nothing to prevent cheaters so I very much doubt that.
that wasnt what i was talking about

lucid

aussie battler
Nebulae
Still makes it completely shit because the cheaters will run riot quickly

Surely they’ll learn from their mistakes and get a decent anti-cheat because GTA 5 is completely ruined by cheaters atm. It’s basically a wasteland

Ricsow

professional retard
HL2 RP Administrator
Media Developer
Nebulae
Surely they’ll learn from their mistakes and get a decent anti-cheat because GTA 5 is completely ruined by cheaters atm. It’s basically a wasteland
If they learned, they would‘ve just fixed the anti cheat instead of just releasing more and more expensive items in updates that only cheaters can really buy.

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
Anti-cheat is useless with P2P networking, it relies on a player as the host and each player is telling the other what's going on so if they spawn a vehicle using a cheat then the other players just get the message of 'vehicle spawned at position'; Not sure if that makes sense but it's effectively no anti-cheat.

Basic networking for games teaches that you never trust the client (player) and you go through the server for all actions to confirm they can do that action but with no dedicated servers that's basically not possible.
[doublepost=1570512858][/doublepost]@Kafe probably knows about some of this with his industry experience.

Reactions: List

lucid

aussie battler
Nebulae
Anti-cheat is useless with P2P networking, it relies on a player as the host and each player is telling the other what's going on so if they spawn a vehicle using a cheat then the other players just get the message of 'vehicle spawned at position'; Not sure if that makes sense but it's effectively no anti-cheat.

that makes sense - if they're using P2P networking practices cheaters basically have free reign once they're in, but an anti-cheat will still check if the player's injected anything into the memory of the game or w/e in the first place right? it's better than nothing

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
that makes sense - if they're using P2P networking practices cheaters basically have free reign once they're in, but an anti-cheat will still check if the player's injected anything into the memory of the game or w/e in the first place right? it's better than nothing
The problem is that won't really be effective after a couple of weeks because the players can just block the anti-cheat detection because it's not reporting any of it to the server being connected to, they can just kill all of the anti-cheat checks and make it think the checks passed. The game will need regular updates to keep on top of the cheats and it's just not feasible.

Theplahunter

Electron
Nebulae
Honestly i'm just excited for PC because of the RP schemas that can be made. I've been wanting an old school western RP for a while, ever since I saw what is possible on a framework like GTA5.

Although with how strict people have the rules on GTA RPs, I can't wait to see people justify why people can't have guns in the wild west... "Y'gotta apply for a Pinkerton permit, sir. I can't sell you this revolver to protect yourself out in the fucking grizzlies."

lucid

aussie battler
Nebulae
The problem is that won't really be effective after a couple of weeks because the players can just block the anti-cheat detection because it's not reporting any of it to the server being connected to, they can just kill all of the anti-cheat checks and make it think the checks passed. The game will need regular updates to keep on top of the cheats and it's just not feasible.

sounds like they've pretty much set themselves up for failure in that regard then, i don't have high hopes at all

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
sounds like they've pretty much set themselves up for failure in that regard then, i don't have high hopes at all
It's most likely just to save money which makes it suck even more, there's no reason to be using P2P like this other than to save money.

lucid

aussie battler
Nebulae
It's most likely just to save money which makes it suck even more, there's no reason to be using P2P like this other than to save money.

absolutely. the seperate release of RDR 2 between console and PC is a cash grab in itself - they want people to buy copies of the game over and over. dedicated servers cost $$$ and i'm not surprised that they didn't opt for it at all

rockstar may produce really good singleplayer experiences and overall well built games but they have some really anti-consumer shit going on, progressing on GTA 5 multiplayer was incredibly hard back in the day and you basically had to buy shark cards to get anywhere.

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
absolutely. the seperate release of RDR 2 between console and PC is a cash grab in itself - they want people to buy copies of the game over and over. dedicated servers cost $$$ and i'm not surprised that they didn't opt for it at all

rockstar may produce really good singleplayer experiences and overall well built games but they have some really anti-consumer shit going on, progressing on GTA 5 multiplayer was incredibly hard back in the day and you basically had to buy shark cards to get anywhere.
I don't really care that they're doing a seperate release because that's proven to maximise profits, even if it does suck a little but they're going to earn enough to pay for the servers which imo would lead to much longer life of the online anyway.

lucid

aussie battler
Nebulae
I don't really care that they're doing a seperate release because that's proven to maximise profits, even if it does suck a little but they're going to earn enough to pay for the servers which imo would lead to much longer life of the online anyway.

yeah well what they're doing is a bit scummy but it's definitely working out for them, iirc gta 5 is the most profitable game of all time for example

GustavasSve

Don’t forget Hawaii!
Nebulae
I’m probably one of the few to actually enjoy Online. I mostly RP on it but eh, it’s fine overall I believe. GTA Online wasn’t that all great at the start either and now look at it