Serious Religion Thread

venutianPunk

Leftist Cuck
Nebulae
63-637028_pray-hands-png-image-transparent-praying-hands-coloring.png

What faith/religion/spirituality do you ascribe to? Why? Do you find any part of your practice of faith personally challenging due to any reason? Do you have any audio/reading/video material you'd recommend to those outside or inside your faith?

Be civil, please.

Reactions: List

venutianPunk

Leftist Cuck
Nebulae
I'm agnostic but I was raised presbyterian (a variant of protestant Christianity). I swapped when I was around 13 or so as I just didn't find church compelling.

Zarail

Atom
Nebulae
been agnostic since i first heard the term in my early teen years. i used to identify as christian (not any specific form of christianity but there arent really any here in my area besides the swedish church lol) but looking back i think it was less because of a deep belief in god and more because i still get uncomfortable about what comes after we die. i just really wanted to believe in a heaven, i think.
i stopped calling myself christian when i was maybe 13 or 14 years old.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
im an atheist, and the concept of a deity that actively punishes you for not believing in them is the root cause for why i do not believe in a deity

bilack

Electron
Nebulae
I used to be Orthodox Christian as I was brought up as such, but now I'm atheist.

As MaXenzie said, if god (or any deity) was up above and benevolent, surely, he wouldn't punish those that don't believe in him. Plus there's far too much nasty stuff in the world and I just can't see how a god or upper being would allow any of it to happen

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
I went to a catholic primary school and gained a lot of my values and morals there. I don't subscribe to the belief in God as 'someone', more a representation of values and belief. I believe that there's a higher power, but it isn't something that can be quantified as an anthropomorphic being (i.e. old man in the clouds).

The closest I get to that is the Green Man, though I just like to believe there's something that generally controls nature & plants; plants are smart and cool

venutianPunk

Leftist Cuck
Nebulae
I went to a catholic primary school and gained a lot of my values and morals there. I don't subscribe to the belief in God as 'someone', more a representation of values and belief. I believe that there's a higher power, but it isn't something that can be quantified as an anthropomorphic being (i.e. old man in the clouds).

The closest I get to that is the Green Man, though I just like to believe there's something that generally controls nature & plants; plants are smart and cool
Do you still attend mass or any other similar service?

Trains

ms paint artist extraordinaire
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
I'm agnostic but I was raised presbyterian (a variant of protestant Christianity). I swapped when I was around 13 or so as I just didn't find church compelling.
i thought they the mfs that eat fish

e: i have learned thats pescatarian

Hunk

Extraction Point
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
im Christian. i live in a mostly catholic family in a mostly catholic country but i haven't decided which "doctrine" to follow so to say.

i consider myself religious although I try to make it a personal matter rather than something political that "others" should "convert to".

i like to think i have a different perspective on religion. i.e: i do not necessarily believe religion is a way of worshipping a god/entity/being. rather i consider it primarily a moral order that helps you differentiate good from bad. these values/moral order is what god represents (rather then a "supreme and almighty being").

thats how i see it. its a very personal matter in the end

venutianPunk

Leftist Cuck
Nebulae
im Christian. i live in a mostly catholic family in a mostly catholic country but i haven't decided which "doctrine" to follow so to say.

i consider myself religious although I try to make it a personal matter rather than something political that "others" should "convert to".

i like to think i have a different perspective on religion. i.e: i do not necessarily believe religion is a way of worshipping a god/entity/being. rather i consider it primarily a moral order that helps you differentiate good from bad. these values/moral order is what god represents (rather then a "supreme and almighty being").

thats how i see it. its a very personal matter in the end
Well ty for sharing what you felt comfortable enough to share =o)

Mic15000

The Underdog
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Agnostic as well, cause used to be Christian since I was forced cause I was born in Rome. Other then that I think Religion and spiritualism is a very personal thing and everyone has their own opinions on it, it has caused a lot of bad but also good.

That said, having moved to America I do believe that mega-churches are soul less cash grabs and hurt more than they help

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
Seems like Religion is a current affairs topic, gonna request general be hidden now
While this is a joke I do wanna make the distinction

The thread isn't necessarily debating religon, it seems to be more about asking people what their beliefs are. Maybe the odd bit of back and forth would be okay but the main focus seems to be about finding out what people believe, rather than debating any particular idea

I think if the thread veers off into being more about debating or applying religious ideas to policy then it'll get moved - otherwise it's probably fine where it is

Merlinsclaw

Risen From Ruins
Nebulae
Raised as a Lutheran. A few years ago I had a stint where I considered myself agnostic because of how the Lutheran Church I was attending was handling my confirmation. It made me generally dislike some of the doctrines of Lutheranism and Protestantism in general such as the 'faith alone' doctrine. However, I generally came back to religion a few years ago and have been considering where I stand on it.

I genuinely considered converting(?) to Catholicism because of how close it is to Lutheranism and the fact that I sorta agreed with its doctrines more. However, alot of Christianity always confused me such as the Holy Trinity. My mom and dad both are spiritual/vaguely religious with my dad having sorta converted to Islam in prison. I had a conversation with him about it probably about 2 years ago and the Muslim view of Jesus, which I considered the most valid. He responded with something along the lines of, "Do you believe in the same God as Abraham? Because, if you do, you are a Jew, you are a Muslim, and you are a Christian." I think(?) this is mainly a Muslim belief/doctrine.

Anyways, I've placed myself in the general category of 'Abrahamic' for now. I bought the Bible and (a translation of) the Quran recently and I intend to read through them and probably attend services for both. Still not entirely sure where I stand and how I feel about certain aspects of both Islam and Christianity. Anyways, that's it for now.