Suggestion resource nodes?

GenericPlayer

i like firetruck and moster truck
Nebulae
Suggestion: Resource nodes, you walk up to them, maybe do a line or two of roleplay, hold E and get [x] item. Maybe certain kinds of nodes are locked behind certain tools/weapons, like a wood log requiring an axe or what have you. I vaguely remember DUST having something like this a few years ago.
Why it would be worth adding: I'm honestly not sure how things work as is, I haven't really played the server enough, but going around the map doing your best anteater impression looking for random script spawns has never really been a fun part of any HL2RP server. This introduces a more consistent way of finding stuff. Would probably also put a little less strain on staff to do events related to raw material gathering and what not, opening more opportunities for other event ideas.
Necessary content:
Coding socks and some knowledge of lua.

Reactions: List

Deleted member 906

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
So resource nodes like in rust? I have seen this on WN as well it would be good to have something like this. Would make crafting more viable in this iteration.

Tyrone

Electron
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Suggestion: Resource nodes, you walk up to them, maybe do a line or two of roleplay, hold E and get [x] item. Maybe certain kinds of nodes are locked behind certain tools/weapons, like a wood log requiring an axe or what have you. I vaguely remember DUST having something like this a few years ago.
Why it would be worth adding: I'm honestly not sure how things work as is, I haven't really played the server enough, but going around the map doing your best anteater impression looking for random script spawns has never really been a fun part of any HL2RP server. This introduces a more consistent way of finding stuff. Would probably also put a little less strain on staff to do events related to raw material gathering and what not, opening more opportunities for other event ideas.
Necessary content: Coding socks and some knowledge of lua.
love the idea. players shouldn't have to rely on staff for everything, including the basics of gathering resources

why deny the player a way to get resources? to build, to craft? why deny them their inherit human nature of developing?

+SUPPORT!!

Numbers

ok
Nebulae
Only thing I hate about crafting materials is the fact that they're tied to crafting flags

And i fucking hate crafting flags bro, I hate grind

So before introducing an automated crafting material source, I want to figure out wtf I want to do with all these (frankly obsolete) materials first, before I have people gather mountains of them and expect a use out of them

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
So before introducing an automated crafting material source, I want to figure out wtf I want to do with all these (frankly obsolete) materials first, before I have people gather mountains of them and expect a use out of them
Allow people with broken weapons to only need a flag (and roleplay) to fix them, no materials.

Streamline all materials into a single resource, call it something like 'Improvised Resources'.

You want to craft something? Need # amount of them.
You want to repair something that's not a weapon? Need # amount of them.

Material sources give different amounts of the resource.

STUCK IN A CAKE

Molecule
Nebulae
I had the idea in my head that 'Resource Nodes' can be Union Equipment, kind of right now where we have that Ration Creating place and Airwatch Deployment.

But expand that idea, have smaller and less guarded location which could very easily be 'stolen' by the Rebels. Such as a 'Fabricator' that is primarily used to recycle damaged shit. If Rebels managed to control it, they can use it to easily fabricate x amount of equipment

Or a mine production facility, now Rebels get a supply of mines instead of just the Combine. Simple 'low risk' areas to attack
and hold to extract useful equipment. Which can be an alternative to supply caches.

"Oh you want to get this piece of equipment? Well organize a raid on this place" and have staff overlook it.

Deleted member 906

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
I had the idea in my head that 'Resource Nodes' can be Union Equipment, kind of right now where we have that Ration Creating place and Airwatch Deployment.

But expand that idea, have smaller and less guarded location which could very easily be 'stolen' by the Rebels. Such as a 'Fabricator' that is primarily used to recycle damaged shit. If Rebels managed to control it, they can use it to easily fabricate x amount of equipment

Or a mine production facility, now Rebels get a supply of mines instead of just the Combine. Simple 'low risk' areas to attack
and hold to extract useful equipment. Which can be an alternative to supply caches.

"Oh you want to get this piece of equipment? Well organize a raid on this place" and have staff overlook it.

wait you have a ration creating depot? Time to metagame this info and take it over for rebels.

STUCK IN A CAKE

Molecule
Nebulae
wait you have a ration creating depot? Time to metagame this info and take it over for rebels.
maxresdefault.jpg

Literally a big chunk of Cop's playtime was dealing with the fact the Rations were running out, so they got desperate to find an alternative source.

From Scavenging, small scale farming, talking to ranchers and even trying to capture the gonarch for headcrab meat.

It was very fun.

Deleted member 906

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
maxresdefault.jpg

Literally a big chunk of Cop's playtime was dealing with the fact the Rations were running out, so they got desperate to find an alternative source.

From Scavenging, small scale farming, talking to ranchers and even trying to capture the gonarch for headcrab meat.

It was very fun.

Give us the Depot and we give you the Vortigaunts for food.

Cindy

*sigh* ud know this if u read the silmarillion...
Nebulae
I hate grind

ME FUCKING TOO. GOD I hate the concept of grinding in an rp server so goddamn much. Been meaning to look for a good reason to go on a tear about this so this is my chance.

I loathe the roleplayer mentality where people need to either "work for" the thing they want to roleplay/portray or prove their investment. It's all just a cheap ploy to try and get people to play on their server longer and it's a malicious waste of player's time.

There are some things where it's understandable (like any kind of faction's rank hierarchy, for instance) but like, god. Some servers really need to learn where to cut out the fat and just let people access the experience of the server instead of insisting we grind it out like it's an MMO. I shouldn't have to be the equivalent of "exalted with the Argent Crusade" just so I can be Johnny Resistance Man.

Makes me glad that the current team seems to understand this thoroughly. Bless y'all.

Nebulae
imagine grinding in fishing rp

if mr garry newman releases s&box soon and it becomes so fluid as promised
imagine a half life 2 rp with many DYNAMIC ACCESSIBLE systems

so dynamic, that staff can tweak everything, maybe even set up RNG systems?
one day, fishing is on shortage, another not, this that or the other.
limitless possiblity.

bro could fish using a system developed, a minigame, it being tweakable, the minigame won't be predictable, and could provide proper gameplay.
or something cool like that

S&box hl2rp
would eventually be a more interactive first person project zomboid type of thing

you have a hl2rp, with enough+ ingame gameplay, and minigames, to make it dynamic and fun to the player (whether crafting, fishing, mining nodes, beyond)
AND the ability to rp to whatever u want

enough minigames will get the player reason to play even when low pop

i imagine staff too want to game, and not serve every player every moment
i know i wouldnt enjoy it 24/7

u become event simulator playing doodle god, instead of hl2rp staffing

future's bright

Last edited:

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
I loathe the roleplayer mentality where people need to either "work for" the thing they want to roleplay/portray or prove their investment. It's all just a cheap ploy to try and get people to play on their server longer and it's a malicious waste of player's time.

I will say the reason for this mostly directly comes from players themselves.

I can't count the number of times players have been given everything they ask for with the claim that if they get it it'll they'll roleplay only to not do that at all - they have what they want so the thrill is gone and boredom sets in.

Its a really vicious cycle unfortunately, especially in a city setting where just letting anyone do anything can lead to nasty imbalances.

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
Streamline all materials into a single resource, call it something like 'Improvised Resources'.

You want to craft something? Need # amount of them.
You want to repair something that's not a weapon? Need # amount of them.

Material sources give different amounts of the resource.
Oh, and one more thing.

Replace the workbench, furnace and reloading presses with a simple 'combine fabricator'.
Make them rare, runs events around them breaking or needing new parts.

Give people a reason to give a shit about needing them working.

Cindy

*sigh* ud know this if u read the silmarillion...
Nebulae
I will say the reason for this mostly directly comes from players themselves.

I can't count the number of times players have been given everything they ask for with the claim that if they get it it'll they'll roleplay only to not do that at all - they have what they want so the thrill is gone and boredom sets in.

Its a really vicious cycle unfortunately, especially in a city setting where just letting anyone do anything can lead to nasty imbalances.

I don't entirely agree with this. I think players getting bored after they get the thing is more correlation than causation.

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae

The ELA at their peak still had to sit and wait for numerous authentication requests, authorizations and the gracious (and very rare) goodwill of SA's. Coupled with the irritation of cityRP being a permanant status quo and nothing really changed, even on the occasions we accomplished something free of people whinging and complaining that god forbid, we did something.

This is exactly why it went downhill and @GenericPlayer will tell you the same thing.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
I don't entirely agree with this. I think players getting bored after they get the thing is more correlation than causation.

Maybe; I can only go off of what tended to pop up over the years whenever the issue was raised - specificially from rebel players. People do tend to hop on if they're working for something after all, and while the Combine side tended to have ranks and that for progression, rebels fell back on getting equipment and such.

It really could just have been the sort of playerbase LP & Neb attracted back then by being a big server for its time, tbh.

GenericPlayer

i like firetruck and moster truck
Nebulae
The ELA at their peak still had to sit and wait for numerous authentication requests, authorizations and the gracious (and very rare) goodwill of SA's. Coupled with the irritation of cityRP being a permanant status quo and nothing really changed, even on the occasions we accomplished something free of people whinging and complaining that god forbid, we did something.

This is exactly why it went downhill and @GenericPlayer will tell you the same thing.
Honestly yeah, the ELA died a while before Joseon ever happened. Reliance on authentications and events are the death knell of any large organised rebel group. Tried getting around it by setting up a surface side cell and funnelling stuff through storefronts, but the combo of OOC CWU strictness, and the fact that no one wants to log on for 5 hours to be a glorified vending machine, killed that idea in a few weeks.

RUST style resource nodes get around most of those issues though, anyone can use them, they respawn fairly regularly, you could set them up for any resource (in theory), and because you'll likely have quite a lot of them it becomes hard for any one faction to camp them out and gatekeep them.