Scripts For Your Thoughts? | HL2RP² Retrospective

PepicWalrus

Electron
HL2 RP Senior Administrator
Premium Member
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

That's a wrap! and with that I want to open this constructive discussion on the entire Iteration. To share it all, we wanna hear the good and positive. Please tell us what you think worked, what you'd like to see more of, and see again. But also more importantly please share the frustrations, grievances, what you think didn't work, or something that could of been done better. This iteration had many highs, but also many lows. It was definitely a bumpy ride and now's the time we can look back and figure out what steps can be taken to avoid those mistakes the next time.

I do ask to keep this constructive, respect each others opinions even if you don't agree with them, and avoid finger pointing. Lets make this a beneficial discussion. On top of that ask questions! was a plot thread never resolved? perhaps someone can shine a light on it, get closure for those burning questions you had.

Thank you.​

Reactions: List

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
please god just no more focus on PvP and S2K

these are the literal main things holding back the server, the OOC incentive for competition, toxicity, and encouragement of IRL skill over roleplay distinction

rob

Nebulae
It got off to a great start but got rough as things neared the end, which is one of the reasons why I stopped playing

Definitely the most fun I've had in GMod, but at the same time, probably the most I've been disappointed or felt let down

we wanna hear the good and positive.
Pretty much the entirety of Season 1

While, yes, each map had their days of stagnation, it was overall consistently fun - if there's anything you're going to do from here on out, I'd advise taking a look back at Season 1 for inspiration
But also more importantly please share the frustrations, grievances
Overall? I'd probably say the toxicity, it got to a lot of us and it was caused some people to leave, if that could be toned down in the future somehow that'd be great

Bounter

Neutrino
Nebulae
I enjoyed the PvE, exploration and the story wise stuff. Player interactions and such were all good. Most stuff in my opinion.

However, uh, PvP, Combine (cuz they often would screw over RPs), and the fact Server for 3 months was so empty and dead, made it kinda sad. I think it's due to lack well, things to do, at the final 3-5 months, server kinda stopped having things. Also, lack of ways to progress at times without some people (ammo makers, armor makers), was bit annoying at times.

Simman102

the Scourge of Roleplay
Nebulae
Some of my personal takeaways, in no particular order:
- CityRP is an infinitely better roleplay setting.
- players don't handle fundamental change very well.
- never do limited stock. It eviscerates characters, is mentally taxing, promotes circlejerking and playing to win.
- act immediately, do not let issues fester.
- maintain consistent documentation. The inconvenience is better than the future confusion.
- be very, very stingy about granting power to do something permanent.
- punish inactivity and do it quickly.
- create safezones, preserve their sanctity and ensure everybody understands that they truly are untouchable.
- say "no" when appropriate instead of ignoring something.
- codify absolutes instead of leaving things unclear for your own convenience.
- first moments are imperative. Do not do half-assed launches or motivation will die.
- delegate tasks and power where appropriate, with the above points already in mind. Centralise issues which might generate conflict.
- defeat is a punishment in itself.

Simman102

the Scourge of Roleplay
Nebulae
Actually, the most important one:
- establish systems which create player agency. Do NOT, EVER, hinge a system on human element which can go inactive.

Nebulae
Some of my personal takeaways, in no particular order:
- CityRP is an infinitely better roleplay setting.
- players don't handle fundamental change very well.
- never do limited stock. It eviscerates characters, is mentally taxing, promotes circlejerking and playing to win.
- act immediately, do not let issues fester.
- maintain consistent documentation. The inconvenience is better than the future confusion.
- be very, very stingy about granting power to do something permanent.
- punish inactivity and do it quickly.
- create safezones, preserve their sanctity and ensure everybody understands that they truly are untouchable.
- say "no" when appropriate instead of ignoring something.
- codify absolutes instead of leaving things unclear for your own convenience.
- first moments are imperative. Do not do half-assed launches or motivation will die.
- delegate tasks and power where appropriate, with the above points already in mind. Centralise issues which might generate conflict.
- defeat is a punishment in itself.
my man is developing the HL2RP Science field
with very good points in it :)

we can do a degree in hl2rp managing in the future it seems

NiGHT

Quark
Premium Member
Nebulae
Actually, the most important one:
- establish systems which create player agency. Do NOT, EVER, hinge a system on human element which can go inactive.
We need a player led economy.
- Daily supply crates that you need to collect from a certain location etc.
- Vending machines that are restocked every couple of days .Or have offered as work collecting the supplies and stocking them IC, pay the courier (or they can steal the cargo and get a bounty)
- Recyclers were deployed too late in my opinion, great concept to deal with trash and get a few tokens.
- We need a NPC vendor 24/7 that we can buy supplies from (Drinks, food, basic crafting materials and such)

Nebulae
Respectfully I disagree. But I agree with the rest :)
cityrp allows for the most ideal self sustainable rp, it gives free roles to everyone so that honestly, u dont have to sprint a marathon to find something to do, considering hl2rp is all about human interaction and textrp.
cityrp is the most presentproof, futureproof and gameplayproof.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
cityrp allows for the most ideal self sustainable rp, it gives free roles to everyone so that honestly, u dont have to sprint a marathon to find something to do, considering hl2rp is all about human interaction and textrp.
cityrp is the most presentproof, futureproof and gameplayproof.

i want storylines, not sustainable simulation-esque gameplay loops

i have roleplayed for years on text-only discord servers with literally 0 gameplay elements happily, because the story was good.

DormNes

Quark
Nebulae
i think staff needs to communicate with staff about storylines, even if it is individual ones or one only being done by them cause then it fucks with the lore and then it fucks with other shit. Plus if staff needs to ALWAYS double check if a person has perms. And yea whatever Jess said

Flop

Secret dingus man
Nebulae
S1 and S2 were great but near tail end of S2 I had alarm bells ringing in my head and the first real map we went into in S3, i17, the bells began ringing louder as the city sometimes was dead and next map, started strong, fun stuff happened till it also started to just collapse. It was honesty sad to see and killed my good faith but, I have still met some good friends and had endless hours of fun on it. If I could time travel backwards, I'd do it, to experience it again.

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
i really enjoyed the narrative systems around the server, growing xen infestation, combine needing to regroup after city 17, mass transhumanisation in CP gameplay, rebels figuring out what to do now the 20 year running dream was being realised.

That stuff for me ruled, i know some folks liked the breen voice appearance in 24 and the combines suggested return of force with teleporting in fortresses, but for me that was kinda my drop off point for the main narrative.

Not sure what came after, but i was compelled by our roaming band of fighters and refugees travelling across europe making a life for themselves and helping liberate cities, once there were bigger world threatening stakes at play, i kinda just lost interest in the haze of post c24 s2k being so regular.

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
i really enjoyed the narrative systems around the server, growing xen infestation, combine needing to regroup after city 17, mass transhumanisation in CP gameplay, rebels figuring out what to do now the 20 year running dream was being realised.

That stuff for me ruled, i know some folks liked the breen voice appearance in 24 and the combines suggested return of force with teleporting in fortresses, but for me that was kinda my drop off point for the main narrative.

Not sure what came after, but i was compelled by our roaming band of fighters and refugees travelling across europe making a life for themselves and helping liberate cities, once there were bigger world threatening stakes at play, i kinda just lost interest in the haze of post c24 s2k being so regular.
did want to add extra since this specifically came out more rebel heavy than I intended it too.

Really loved the combine side this time around, again for me my biggest draw was bringing combine soldiers down to earth and making them characters rather than OOC tools to handle balancing power dynamics between our factions, the fact you spoke to them at times, they did more than /punch and s2k, the fact that you saw your civil protection buddies slowly turn into them over the course of the server, all of that to me was so god damn fantastic, legitimately my favourite part of the server.

It honest to god killed me that I never made any progression on my CP over the few months I played them, had a bit of ww3rp progression experience all over again but that's not really the point, the new dynamic inspired one of my favourite character concepts I've done with Judge-8/ Octavia Vargas, a retired unit forced back in after having to take the fall for what her associates had done, getting to fit forced transhumanisation into it was great and the fact it was a legitimate progression in practice is what actually gave that kind of character long-term running power. I'll never forgive whoever removed the JUDGE tagline from the faction as it was so fitting for my character lol.

It's not a character that works in any other scenario in hl2rp to me, so it was great getting to capitalise on that.

that character died alongside my rebel characters in the burnout I hit at the start of season two, after that point I was never present enough to ever justify reviving my character on that whitelist. I may just write a story about them on my own accord in the future, still kind of love the concept.

DormNes

Quark
Nebulae
i think we should allow ERP to pad the servers playercount with fiends and bring in new players
363.gif

boots

spooky skellys
HL2 RP Senior Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
We need a player led economy.
- Daily supply crates that you need to collect from a certain location etc.
- Vending machines that are restocked every couple of days .Or have offered as work collecting the supplies and stocking them IC, pay the courier (or they can steal the cargo and get a bounty)
- Recyclers were deployed too late in my opinion, great concept to deal with trash and get a few tokens.
- We need a NPC vendor 24/7 that we can buy supplies from (Drinks, food, basic crafting materials and such)
I have to disagree with the NPC vendor, the player owned vending machines would be nice

rob

Nebulae
i've spoken with a few people and given this place a few chances so far, and i feel like just venting my thoughts here

i'm not feeling it, like - at all

fair play to the staff who are trying to give players fun things to do, but i just can't see this leading anywhere in the near future, sorry

the previous iteration was so much more, i loved it, i made memes on a regular basis because of how much fun i was having

but this? i'm not feeling it, and i think i'm gonna be sitting this one out

have fun folks