Serious SFM impact on Gmod culture

Hudson

Electron
Nebulae
#Edit:
An article has been written.

Original post:
While researching the history of Gmod culture I wondered if the Source Filmmaker was relevant to it, but I'm not experienced with it. I thought I'd open a discussion and tag the Media Developers that are familiar with it.
@Elan @Cavity @MaXenzie @Dicknose @Rogue Synapse @Gary @Ricsow @Jacksquare

Is SFM relevant to Gmod? Did its release (July 2012) impact Gmod culture? Has it been important to nebulous? Is any of the Gmod content readily compatible with SFM?

Last edited:
Reactions: List

Ricsow

professional retard
HL2 RP Administrator
Media Developer
Nebulae
Is SFM relevant to Gmod?
SFM is a alternative to Gmod Animation, outside of that they aren‘t too relevant to eachother.

Did its release (July 2012) impact Gmod culture?
I started playing in 2012 so I can‘t really tell you.

Has it been important to nebulous?
Not really outside of biographies and the player guide (which I worked on)

Is any of the Gmod content readily compatible with SFM?
Yes, almost all of it works with SFM except for big maps, but if you know how to use Hammer then you can probably make most maps work with Some drawbacks.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Is SFM relevant to Gmod?

if you check the big Gmod animation content creators, 90% of them did not move to SFM. SFM created its own breed of artists who were generally separate to Gmod. so, nah, not really relevant

not as much as TF2 culture, since the Saxxys exist. not much on SFM made an impact on gmod, since it was only big for Dota and TF2

unfortunately not. the media team gets most of their work making graphic design logos in photoshop, any job that could potentially require gmod or SFM is usually supplanted by the event coordinator just going on google images and cropping a IRL image

most content is, there's programmes that allow you to move gmod workshop items to SFM, though they can be buggy

D

Deleted member 4795

I specialize mainly with posters and still images. And for that I've always preferred the likes of Gmod over SFM. I've made posters in SFM but I feel as if I can do them quicker and on par quality wise in Gmod. If I were more into animation I'd probably use SFM more but I've always lacked the justification. There's also a buncha good assets on gmod that I struggle to find equivalents for in SFM. Often when people came to me with request for something like a photo for a char biography I found it so much easier to load up a map I already had and that they wanted rather then cross my fingers SFM had it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Elan

Proton
Nebulae
Ive not done any Gmod posing in my time and my SFM skills are basic at best so im probably not the best person to ask about this.
Personally I work in C4D or Blender which makes it rather hard to create Gmod or HL themed imagery. This is mainly due to valve models being an absolute nightmare to convert to .obj's and when I have managed to in the past, the result is usually quite broken.

Personally when I think of SFM, it seems alot more synonymous with TF2 than Gmod and from my experience It seems alot more people prefer posing in Gmod than SFM nowadays.

Dicknose

Whatever happens, happens.
Nebulae
Is SFM relevant to Gmod?
I'd say it depends on the server, but overall, not really
Honestly, do not remember I was 12
Personally speaking, I think it's pretty important to Nebulous or at least the corners I dwell in
Yes it's pretty simple to port gmod content to SFM