Solo reviews This 'cluster-fuck of feelings' War of Mine

Charlie

Atom
Nebulae
latest

ThisWarofMine.jpg

spoilers ahead of course
Introduction
This War of Mine is a resource management, strategy and survival game by 11 bit studios.
It was inspired by the Siege of Sarajevo during the Bosnian War. I was surprised when I first booted up the game to see that it focuses on the civillian side of the war rather than frontline combat of the military. You basically take control of a group of survivors that inhabit inside a makeshift shelter, in the ruined and besieged fictional city of Pogoren, Graznavia. Of course, you have to guide your characters the war with the tools and resources you loot, craft and steal while also maintaining their needs (including hunger, mood, and health). The game evantually ends when a ceasefire is declared, which happens a randomized duration of time.

Gameplay
As above, you control a group of survivors with different specialties, addictions (if any) and skills.
For example, one character named Bruno has a trait called "Good Cook", which helps the player use less fuel and water when cooking meals.
During daytime, you don't have the ability to go out of your shelter due to hostile snipers and shelling that are occurring outside.
While this makes you basically trapped in your base, you get the chance to fortify, craft and prepare for the next day from resources and tools you gathered from the outside. While taking care of your survivors' needs. On the start of the game, there are multiple containers and loot points that you can search for starting loot and resources to give you a chance to get ready for the next day. While most are blocked behind rubble which you have to clear out of the way, be it your bare hands or tools that you either crafted or looted.
When the night arrives, you have the opportunity to venture out of your shelter with one of your survivors, and assign your other survivors to stay at the shelter to either guard, sleep or sleep in bed (which you have to craft). You can choose one of several locations in the city, and are given information about selected point in the city, including the amounts and types of resources -- and danger level. It also provides you a quick description of the location the player selects and gives a more clear idea of how to approach and what to bring to the location to give you the advantage.
Some places are scattered with traders with which you can trade from stuff you bring from your base (or just kill them and take their shit, while de-railing your survivor's sanity, concious and relationship with your other survivors), hostile NPC's that you can either hide, fight or just stay away from, and other survivors that simply add a better taste and visual of the horror-aspect of the game. When you get to a location to scavenge, you have a limited amount of time to loot, trade or do whatever until dawn rises.
If you don't exit the location you're currently in until dawn arrives, the survivor that you assigned to scavenge will take more time to return back to the shelter (if they even make it back.). After the next day starts, you get a log of what happened at night, what you brought back home with the survivor that you took out to scavenge, and if anything happened to one or more of your characters. There is also a chance of being raided with the chance to lose resources, and one of your survivors getting injured or killed (of course, when one of your survivors gets killed, they are gone forever.).

DLC's
You can buy DLC's from the game. Fortunately. They're not similar to DLC's like micro-transactions or stuff that give you an advantage in the game, but rather different scenarios to play with. different characters and stories, and other items and crafting shit. I only bought the war child charity DLC and the stories DLC (I think.).

score:

:steve::steve::steve::steve::steve::steve::steve::steve: and a half steves out of 10. i recommend good game yes

that's it goodbye

also there are like 6 endings
one of them is good others BAD​

Last edited:
Reactions: List

Yurivw

Storage Expert
Nebulae
Huh, I never knew there was an endgame, in this care the ceasefire. I might actually replay the game to try and reach that.

Isuckatgaming

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
When you've got guns, ammo, plenty of food and a trader coming by regularly and you think you're gonna make it.

Then the game Game of Thrones'd me with winter and it was not a nice time.

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
paragraphs my dude

if you want a game to fuck you up to write another play spec ops the line

Yurivw

Storage Expert
Nebulae
paragraphs my dude

if you want a game to fuck you up to write another play spec ops the line
Fuck yeah I'm still not over the trauma caused by that game. Fuck me.

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Fuck yeah I'm still not over the trauma caused by that game. Fuck me.
when you get caught off guard by a game which you know resembles apocalypse now so much but still gets you

feels good man, to genuinely get caught off guard

Charlie

Atom
Nebulae
paragraphs my dude
most of it was from sources like the fandom wiki page and like half was what i wrote

i also type extremely fast and i had literally nothing to do, will edit