Some photos and vid from my old fishing job

Toasty

Roleplay Psychologist
Nebulae
A few people asked me what it was like working on a boat n stuff. It's a rough job where your only time off is if it's bad weather or the factory receiving the fish is closed. Roughest part in the net season was nine days straight of working 12-16 hours.

Some mornings the Captain was tired, and wanted to sleep on the trip to our field so I was permitted to drive the boat where we needed to go which took everything from 30 to 90 minutes. Which I enjoyed a lot being able to drinking coffee at four-five in morning watching the sun come up, and listen to music and talk shit with the other fishermen over the radio.

I've been on several boats where I've quit, but this was an honest man who gave me a fair wage. I was given the same percentage of salary that he was. 60% went to the boat, 20% to me, and 20% to my boss. After seven weeks of fishing we had fished for a total of a million NOK which is 119973.64 USD so I received a total of 23994.73 USD before taxes in salary.

The pay is really good, but to me money is not that high on my list when choosing a profession so I'll be attending University this August to become a teacher, but will presumably keep fishing whenever I got vacation. Overall being a fisherman is one of the most dangerous jobs in Norway, and it's never the same routine on job. You get to experience a lot of nature and wildlife when you're out. It's also nearly impossible to eat healthy when you're fishing as you don't have the time to spend ages eating. So most fishermen just have coffee, soda, cake, biscuits, chocolate, and a few premade slices of bread onboard.

0787cb12cc.png

727413aeee.png

998dc7bad3.png

b8bc625cbf.png

fc6c247b00.png

97bd38555f.png

2f725c4b8e.png

4d54194a1c.png

a20d244ca6.png

58566f6b4a.png

81161628b8.png

3309df9da0.png

12079120_10206297182601561_2753444197546404895_n.jpg

Angel

she/her/they nonbinary transfem
Nebulae
Thx for the fish ma man

swagile

Atom
Nebulae
I am not trying to down play the danger but what /is/ the danger in fishing?

I would assume heavy storms is a thing but with the advance of technology you would have gotten advance notice of one was coming.

So what other dangers is there of being a fisherman?

Toasty

Roleplay Psychologist
Nebulae
I am not trying to down play the danger but what /is/ the danger in fishing?

I would assume heavy storms is a thing but with the advance of technology you would have gotten advance notice of one was coming.

So what other dangers is there of being a fisherman?

A lot of things can go wrong. As your setting the net for netfishing your arm or foot w/e can become tangled into it, and you can be dragged under sea.
You're setting the line for linefishing which has 500-600 hooks per stamp, and you need to stay close to make sure everything goes smoothly, hook each stamp together, and switch them as they go empty. A lot of the times they get tangled, and it stops moving out and then you need to cut a few angles and then suddenly it just bursts out. A lot of the times people get in penetrated through their hand, nose, a few have gotten it into their eyes. One guy I know got his pointy finger skins drawn off.

When killing the fish it needs to go quick so sometimes you might end up cutting yourself or even stabbing yourself. I ended up stabbing myself into my hand so I had to take a sickleave for two weeks.

A lot of the dangers occurs when fishing alone where people accidentally fell off board, and there is no one to know what happened. A guy fell off his boat in March, and died. People didn't know he was missing until like five or six hours after he fell off his boat.

There might be a fire on the boat that you cant stop so your ship goes down. Your ship starts taking in water. Boats have lifesuits, and lifeboats. These things can often go wrong. Keep in mind that my county has a total population of 70k people, with a greater land area than Denmark. Thus the general fishing area is pretty vast. The seaking helicopter base is quite far away, and people I knew almost died out on the Barentsea last year. Article regarding that incident; http://www.vg.no/spesial/2015/ostbanken/.

Not saying that people are dying everyday, but fishing is the deadliest job based on statistics. There are a lot of safeguards in place to prevent it. There are frequent accidents, and I think there is around 1-2 deaths related to fishing per month.

Reactions: List

swagile

Atom
Nebulae
A lot of things can go wrong. As your setting the net for netfishing your arm or foot w/e can become tangled into it, and you can be dragged under sea.
You're setting the line for linefishing which has 500-600 hooks per stamp, and you need to stay close to make sure everything goes smoothly, hook each stamp together, and switch them as they go empty. A lot of the times they get tangled, and it stops moving out and then you need to cut a few angles and then suddenly it just bursts out. A lot of the times people get in penetrated through their hand, nose, a few have gotten it into their eyes. One guy I know got his pointy finger skins drawn off.

When killing the fish it needs to go quick so sometimes you might end up cutting yourself or even stabbing yourself. I ended up stabbing myself into my hand so I had to take a sickleave for two weeks.

A lot of the dangers occurs when fishing alone where people accidentally fell off board, and there is no one to know what happened. A guy fell off his boat in March, and died. People didn't know he was missing until like five or six hours after he fell off his boat.

There might be a fire on the boat that you cant stop so your ship goes down. Your ship starts taking in water. Boats have lifesuits, and lifeboats. These things can often go wrong. Keep in mind that my county has a total population of 70k people, with a greater land area than Denmark. Thus the general fishing area is pretty vast. The seaking helicopter base is quite far away, and people I knew almost died out on the Barentsea last year. Article regarding that incident; http://www.vg.no/spesial/2015/ostbanken/.

Not saying that people are dying everyday, but fishing is the deadliest job based on statistics. There are a lot of safeguards in place to prevent it. There are frequent accidents, and I think there is around 1-2 deaths related to fishing per month.

What is the standards when it comes to keeping the fish clean and all? Do you have a cooler in the back that you just stuff the fish into or is it a much longer and more complicated process? Do you process certain fish right on the boat or are there ways around it?

Just interested is all considering the handling of food is usually where the worst things can happen to said food considering the germs and bacteria that can gather or even the lack of freshness if it isn't handled correctly.

Toasty

Roleplay Psychologist
Nebulae
What is the standards when it comes to keeping the fish clean and all? Do you have a cooler in the back that you just stuff the fish into or is it a much longer and more complicated process? Do you process certain fish right on the boat or are there ways around it?

Just interested is all considering the handling of food is usually where the worst things can happen to said food considering the germs and bacteria that can gather or even the lack of freshness if it isn't handled correctly.

In the winter we don't use anything to cool it down as it's winter and pretty cold. In the summer we bring ice onboard in a container, and after we've filled each container with fish we have ice in it to keep it fresh to the drop-off point. Before going into a container it is in a tank onboard where water is constantly coming it so the fish can be drained of the blood. Quality is key, and the better the quality the better the price. Nobody likes to get a reputation for bad quality fish so you set up your fishing trip so that when you're done you can deliver straight away atleast in the summer. In the winter it's a bit more chill.

Reactions: List

R40UL

Proton
Nebulae
Aside of the "risking your life" part, your job as a fisherman looked pretty amazing, considering how much I like the open sea.
Haven't you ever fished a shark by accident? I heard it's common for it to happen.

Toasty

Roleplay Psychologist
Nebulae
Aside of the "risking your life" part, your job as a fisherman looked pretty amazing, considering how much I like the open sea.
Haven't you ever fished a shark by accident? I heard it's common for it to happen.

Not really any sharks up here in the barents sea tbh

Last edited:

eldeos

Electron
B A N N E D
Nebulae
pa used to be a fisherman

dad??