[SPOILER-FREE REVIEW/OPINION] The Walking Dead: A New Frontier

Peter Green

Good People, Good Times
Nebulae
This is a spoiler-free review
C0Zrt5UWIAESIli.jpg:large

My opinion on the game so far

A New Frontier is in my opinion a great introduction for newcomers to the series who haven't played Season 1 and Season 2 yet. But I'm in no way saying that you should skip Season 1 and Season 2 completely, if you have the money you should definitely have a look at the previous season as they will give you a lot of information on who Clementine is and how she has changed across the years. If you haven't played Season 1 and Season 2, please do so before picking up this game.

Honestly I do not know why some people are so disappointed about this one, I've read from steam reviews that people are mostly complaining about Clementine being a side character and Javi being put as our main protagonist. I can totally understand why people do not like the changes though, honestly I myself welcome the new changes with pleasure. Saying that most S1 and S2 players are disappointed is a bit too much. In my opinion Season 3 really brings something fresh and great to the table while still including Clementine in the story as a side character.

I myself have played both Season 1 and Season 2, I have enjoyed both greatly and am deeply in love with the series and the characters. Season 3 is definitely not a disappointment to the series but a refreshing cast of new characters and stories to tell.

EPISODE 1 & 2: TIES THAT BIND PART 1 & 2
2D19440B4686765713E35BC4CD450C1B606525ED

Right as the episode starts we quickly get introduced to Javi and his family, shortly after we fast forward to present time where we get to meet Clementine halfway through the episode. I sadly can't reveal too much about these two episodes due to me trying my best to keep this review spoiler-free.

The introduction to Javi's family is sort of short but yet it is long enough to make me care about his family at least to some extent, the beginning scene is really strong and in my opinion is a great way to start out the new season by making the player really excited about what’s to come. I spent 3 hours on both episodes making sure that I wouldn't skip any possible dialogue or interactions between characters. Although kind of short I enjoyed every single moment and decision that Telltale threw at me.

However I do feel like some choices were too easy to make, with it sometimes being you choosing between Clementine and another character. Obviously previous S1 and S2 players will usually side with Clementine during most choices but for me it didn't take away the fun from making them.

Both episodes explore Clementine's story between Season 2 and Season 3 with flashbacks coming now and then. The relationship between Javi and Clem gets explored more deeply with episode 1 and 2 really packing some great moments in the bag.

Telltale is definitely planning to go all out this season with prioritizing quality over quantity which is in no way a bad thing in my opinion, I prefer to have a very well written season rather than a really long boring season. Although of course everyone would prefer more length with the same level of quality.

In short!

Telltale continues bringing us the great storytelling that they have been providing us with across the years which made me fall in love with the series. The Walking Dead: A New Frontier provides us with what easily could be called the strongest entry to a season so far. A New Frontier is off to a great start and I hope it keeps up with the expectations.

POSITIVE

+ Really nice price tag of $25 USD!
+ A really strong start to the season.
+ Refreshing cast of new characters
+ The directing has really been stepped up!
+ Great voice acting/animations/art style really gets you immersed and makes you feel involved in the game
+ Generating a save file is a great new feature being introduced by Telltale along with their somewhat new cloud saving system (Present in S2 but not in S1.)

NEUTRAL
  • The game had some choices where you had to choose between either Clem or another character with Clem being the obvious choice for previous S1 and S2 players.

• The two episodes were kinda short but to me it is totally understandable that Telltale went with quality over quantity considering the pressure that comes with releasing a new season.
  • Where is last/next time on The Walking Dead? :(

NEGATIVE

Actually nothing!

Episode 1 & 2 rating: 8.7/10

I don't know why but I felt like writing a review for this game which I originally ended up posting on steam, I felt like sharing this with you folks in hope of bringing in people to the series.

I might continue as more episodes are released, we'll see.

Also be careful reading the posts below, cant promise those will be spoiler free

Last edited:

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I feel like the flashbacks explaining how Clementine ended up alone after Season 2 were a bit... Anti-Climatic? I mean obviously, anyone that even knows vaguely about Season 3 knows that Kenny/Cuntwoman dies or otherwise leaves before Season 3, otherwise Javi wouldn't be with Clementine because let's face it, he'd be immediately shot by either one.

I mean c'mon, suicide and getting eaten generically by zombies. Especially with Kenny, a character there since the very beginning, killed off via car crash and nom noms. Felt shoe-horned in tbh.

Reactions: List

Peter Green

Good People, Good Times
Nebulae
I feel like the flashbacks explaining how Clementine ended up alone after Season 2 were a bit... Anti-Climatic? I mean obviously, anyone that even knows vaguely about Season 3 knows that Kenny/Cuntwoman dies or otherwise leaves before Season 3, otherwise Javi wouldn't be with Clementine because let's face it, he'd be immediately shot by either one.

I mean c'mon, suicide and getting eaten generically by zombies. Especially with Kenny, a character there since the very beginning, killed off via car crash and nom noms. Felt shoe-horned in tbh.
Honestly I do have to agree, in my opinion it would be way better if Telltale never revealed that Clementine would be in this game but instead reveal her in her first scene of ep1 where she rescues you. And yeah the flashbacks with Kenny's or Jane's death were really Anti-Climatic, I chose the go to Wellington ending at the end of S2 and did enjoy the flashbacks in S3. But when I saw Kenny's death on youtube I was honestly disappointed, it felt really anti-climatic and I got no "FUCK MAN X PERSON IS DEAD" kind of a feeling like I've been getting since the first season. I really enjoyed the car driving scene though but the death was just, come on telltale i know that you can do better than this.

I really feel like Telltale didn't think too much about what they could have done to show what happened to Kenny, felt like a rushed decision from them. My opinion on the whole case is that Telltale really should have made those flashbacks scenes a lot longer, it would result in a longer episode and there was honestly no reason to keep them that short.

it's really disappointing how they just decided to kill off a major character in a really short scene like that.

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
Jane lovers BTFO once and for all

Kenny proved once again to be the superior option.................

Also - like 1% of people chose to betray Clementine in one of the choices, pretty hilarious how staggeringly low that is

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Jane lovers BTFO once and for all

Kenny proved once again to be the superior option.................

Also - like 1% of people chose to betray Clementine in one of the choices, pretty hilarious how staggeringly low that is

The logic is hilarious. Telltale don't seem to realize that characters everyone knows and loves always trump over a new guy, even if they build him up like Jesus. Imagine if Lee somehow showed up and the game somehow gave a logical reason for him being alive, and then give us the option of kill him, or kill a sorta generic new guy. You'd have to be doing a "opposite" run to choose the other option.

Also can't wait for the silent run and edgy run, clementine silently staring at Kenny as he gets eaten will be funny as fuck.

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
The logic is hilarious. Telltale don't seem to realize that characters everyone knows and loves always trump over a new guy, even if they build him up like Jesus. Imagine if Lee somehow showed up and the game somehow gave a logical reason for him being alive, and then give us the option of kill him, or kill a sorta generic new guy. You'd have to be doing a "opposite" run to choose the other option.

Also can't wait for the silent run and edgy run, clementine silently staring at Kenny as he gets eaten will be funny as fuck.
Daily reminder Wellington is best ending - @Dindex

Kenny still lives in this canon and you can take his hat along with you.

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Daily reminder Wellington is best ending - @Dindex

Kenny still lives in this canon and you can take his hat along with you.
Does telltale just cast off the wellington ending as non canon now?

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I mean, Telltale have pulled this shit before.

Every motherfucker was trying to get in Carley's pants and then she just dies at the start of episode 3.

Lily just drives off and is never heard from again.

The guys at the farm don't turn up again, even if neither die and can both just flee from the walkers.

Only Bonnie from 400 days has any real impact compared to the other 400 days characters.

Ben was built up to be a piece of shit IC but everyone liked him, and both of his deaths were just "woops bad luck"

cns - he/him/his

The Winner
Nebulae

Every motherfucker was trying to get in Carley's pants and then she just dies at the start of episode 3.

The guys at the farm don't turn up again, even if neither die and can both just flee from the walkers.

Only Bonnie from 400 days has any real impact compared to the other 400 days characters.

Billy was built up to be a piece of shit IC but everyone liked him, and both of his deaths were just "woops bad luck"
Ben was misunderstood

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Ben was misunderstood

Ben, Billy, names are hard sometimes.

Just like how Mollie and Jane are literally the same fucking person.

Peter Green

Good People, Good Times
Nebulae

Ben was built up to be a piece of shit IC but everyone liked him, and both of his deaths were just "woops bad luck"

Ben was misunderstood

Ben, Billy, names are hard sometimes.

Just like how Mollie and Jane are literally the same fucking person.
J6yvkWu.png

I always sided with Ben by defending him in most situations hoping that he would redeem himself at some point. So many fuck-ups and you would expect him to redeem himself in some way, right?

Well he didn't.

cns - he/him/his

The Winner
Nebulae
J6yvkWu.png

I always sided with Ben by defending him in most situations hoping that he would redeem himself at some point. So many fuck-ups and you would expect that he would redeem himself right?

Well he didn't.
Ben tried poor kid

ot: I like how javi got over mari's death quite easily