Serious SUGGESTION: Introduce a new server

holiday adi

黑色土人
Nebulae
(This is something that I've been thinking about for a long, long time now.
If you can, please read through the whole thread and leave your opinion down below, i appreciate you all folks.)
1.png

What's good everyone, i'm sure most of y'all already know me, and for those that don't, I'm Adi (aka the modelling god)
Today i'm presenting to you a suggestion that I've been working on for the past couple of days, it's something that i put a lot of thought in, and i also think it has a great amount of potential.

I, hereby forward a suggestion towards the whole nebulous community and Head-Staff, to introduce a brand new RP server, on a completely new and unique setting that has never been done before (properly at least) in GMOD.

Now i can hear you saying; "Hold up for a second there cowboyah! Didn't we just have a WW3RP server that died just months after the opening?"
Yes, we did, and i'm about to present you my own thesis on why if this suggestion was to be accepted, why it would be much more successful than Stasiland.

2.png

So there is a lot of reasons why i think Stasiland and it's predecessors
were destined for a quick death, some of them big, some not, and I'm going to list them all below with a little bit of explanation to each and every single one of them.​
  • 1. There is no time to talk in War.
Now this is obviously targeted towards FrundTech and Stasiland.
Before i go on about why this is one of the main reasons why it flopped, let me first tell you why it doesn't correlate to HL2RP.

Now everyone of us has some expectations when they boot up a game, join a server, etc.

When booting up an FPS game, say CS:GO, your obvious expectations are that you'll be in for a dynamic and fast-paced match, where you'll be able to show off your skill both as a great team-member, and a sharpshooter.
Upon joining the nebulous HL2RP server, your expectations are obviously targeted towards a more slow-paced game-play, with plenty of opportunities to socialize, roleplay your role as a citizen, and maybe get into a scuffle or two when there's an occasion for it.

Now imagine joining a WW3RP server, from the very get-go you're expecting a quite fast-paced yet fulfilling journey, filled with action, losses, tears, blood and adrenaline.
|
The server doesn't meet your expectations, you feel fine at first because you're used to the slow paced game-play of HL2RP, it doesn't throw you off right away,
However after a set amount of time, after doing the same, repetitive and boring activities as you usually do in Stasiland, you begin to question yourself "Is this really what i was in visioning WW3RP to be?"

And finally, after a set amount of time, you get bored just enough to not care, and you stopped playing all-together.
I'm not saying that a Serious-RP WW3RP server doesn't have it's fanatics, just like HL2RP has, the only reason why HL2RP is able to hold itself
  • 2. You can only go so far playing the same old gamemode.
By this i mean, do you know how many times you've played on a World-War/Military themed RP server?
For me, i stopped counting after 50.

Now there's a reason why Military-RP's and HL2RP's can still hold their own even though they've existed for a good 7-8 years now, one of the main reasons is that they're classics.
I mean, everyone's played on a HL2RP/MilitaryRP at least once, so everybody has that sense of "nostalgia", and you tend to feel a lot more comfortable in them since they're very familiar to you.

But, if you're playing the same old gamemode as you always did, no matter how polished and well-done it is, it can get boring too.

That's why i think that we need to bring something new to the table, something fresh, interesting, and most importantly of all, something that will not require a lot of learning to get into.​
  • 3. If we don't try, most probably nobody else will do it.
This might be the most important reason to why i'm doing this, just by the simple fact that i'm almost 99% certain that if we, the community, media-devs, developers and head-staff don't give it a try, i doubt there will be another gmod-based community that will have members talented and dedicated enough to even attempt this.

And you know what they say, you can try and fail, but when you don't, that's when you truly lost.

3.png

Well, I'm sure that when it comes to this, everyone would have their own great idea, but i don't really have enough time to go through 7,500 people's opinions and ideas, so I'm going to list the most "ambitious" ones.

image.png

SHOGUN WARS

A SeriousRP gamemode set in the early 1600's, around 1653-1657 to be exact, at the time Japan was mainly ruled by the Tokugawa's.
My take is to take inspiration from way-back Japan, and "twist" the history(or lore if that's what you want to call it) of the server so that whilst the Tokugawa's have the majority of territory and power, there's still a danger of them being overthrown by lesser Shogun's.

The server would require a quite big, either heavily-edited or made from scratch map, that would be able to host around 50/60 players at once, with 2/3 main 'cities', that'll each be under the rule of a different Shogun, 4/5 villages that would be the main source of workforce and income, they'd be the main points of interest for the factions, since they would seek control over them in order to boost their overall power and wealth.
Couple that with a couple of monuments, a dojo, battlefield and port, we'd have a very nice setting for the server.

Now as you might've already noticed, this project would require A LOT of work and polish in order to be done properly, and whilst i'd be able to make every weapon/prop/house model we'd need, i'd also require help from my fellow media-dev folks, for things such as;

Other 3D stuff so i wouldn't have to work on everything myself, and i know that @spalius , @Jamie and @Manio would be of great help here.

Coding some gameplay elements, and overseeing the server/progress, and i'm sure that @Jaydawg , @alex and @Gary would be the best fit for this one.

Concept art, texture work or other server-related assets such as banners, clothing designs and enviroment concepts, this would be easily handled by; @PADEX , @Ricsow , @pandowaty and @Elan

And every other Media-Dev and developer that i didn't mention here, i'm sure every single one of you would be a great addition to this project.

4.png
Now you already know that there's no 'perfect' recipe for a RP server, everyone has their own pros and cons, and with a gamemode that's never been done before, we wouldn't really have anything to reference ourselves to, but with enough trial and error coupled with dedication and hard work, i'm certain we'd be able to accomplish our goals.

Now you might also mention the whole "expectations" stuff i was talking about before, well we would obviously have to make some changes and additions to the typical SeriousRP ruleset, ideally let the combat be more of a rare occurrence, dynamic yet unforgiving.

Please, feel free to throw your own two cents on this one, surely each single one of you has their own individual opinion about this, and i'd love to hear you all out, and chip me a neb or two if you think this would be a great opportunity to expand the community to new branches, hopefully with some traction we could get the Head-Staff's attention and who know, we might just make something out of nothing.

5.png

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
I'll give this a proper read through shortly but be warned, any ideas for future GMod servers need to be more than ideas; I'm not going to be taking on any development for a new GMod server and I won't be tasking any of our devs to either.

As with WW3RP and FTRP we're open to new gamemodes that are already in active development or have been developed.

Reactions: List

deathwolf

I AM SPIDERMAN, GRIST LIES! I AM HIM REALLY! ﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I'll give this a proper read through shortly but be warned, any ideas for future GMod servers need to be more than ideas; I'm not going to be taking on any development for a new GMod server and I won't be tasking any of our devs to either.

As with WW3RP and FTRP we're open to new gamemodes that are already in active development or have been developed.
My favourite thing is seeing a detailed alex post I get a big smile

Luft

a bad memer
Nebulae
as dumb as it may sound

but personally i believe that a pure s2k focused server may just be a good change of pace

sure there can be some rp related things, but instead of rp focused, it should be s2k focused

holiday adi

黑色土人
Nebulae
@alex
My intent was to see the overall response to the idea.
If everything goes well and i'll see a good amount of support towards it I'd be more than happy to turn it into a full-fledged project.
Also, if you think you can prove yourself useful, whether it's regarding modelling, coding, art, gameplay designing or anything really, hit me up with a private message on the forums, or discord (adi.#5620)

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
@alex
My intent was to see the overall response to the idea.
If everything goes well and i'll see a good amount of support towards it I'd be more than happy to turn it into a full-fledged project.
Also, if you think you can prove yourself useful, whether it's regarding modelling, coding, art, gameplay designing or anything really, hit me up with a private message on the forums, or discord (adi.#5620)
It's a difficult one because I really can only greenlight a project that's finished or almost finished. My time is more spent on things outside of GMod these days and the secondary issue is, GMod isn't growing which makes new projects feel a lot less impactful.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
if this came with some sick-ass sword fighting mechanics coded in it'd likely be a hit

if you actually manage to code this into a workable state i'd play for sure

D

Deleted member 3818

I've thought a lot about this kind of stuff and I really think melee combat based gameplay would work very well with a serious roleplay format. One of the fundamental problems I think WW3RP had was it's inability to serve battlefield roleplay, the field was for S2K and the base was for roleplay and two just weren't compatible with each other due to the fast paced nature of the combat. And so you had the problem of S2K lacking in roleplay and the roleplay lacking an eventful environment for it. But with melee combat this changes, when on the field you are given a lot more room to breathe and actually roleplay whilst the combat is actively playing out.

Postal

Molecule
Nebulae
If you can, please read through the whole thread and leave your opinion down below, i appreciate you all folks.)
1.png

What's good everyone, i'm sure most of y'all already know me, and for those that don't, I'm Adi (aka the modelling god)
Today i'm presenting to you a suggestion that I've been working on for the past couple of days, it's something that i put a lot of thought in, and i also think it has a great amount of potential.

I, hereby forward a suggestion towards the whole nebulous community and Head-Staff, to introduce a brand new RP server, on a completely new and unique setting that has never been done before (properly at least) in GMOD.

Now i can hear you saying; "Hold up for a second there cowboyah! Didn't we just have a WW3RP server that died just months after the opening?"
Yes, we did, and i'm about to present you my own thesis on why if this suggestion was to be accepted, why it would be much more successful than Stasiland.

2.png

were destined for a quick death, some of them big, some not, and I'm going to list them all below with a little bit of explanation to each and every single one of them.​
Before i go on about why this is one of the main reasons why it flopped, let me first tell you why it doesn't correlate to HL2RP.

Now everyone of us has some expectations when they boot up a game, join a server, etc.

When booting up an FPS game, say CS:GO, your obvious expectations are that you'll be in for a dynamic and fast-paced match, where you'll be able to show off your skill both as a great team-member, and a sharpshooter.
Upon joining the nebulous HL2RP server, your expectations are obviously targeted towards a more slow-paced game-play, with plenty of opportunities to socialize, roleplay your role as a citizen, and maybe get into a scuffle or two when there's an occasion for it.

Now imagine joining a WW3RP server, from the very get-go you're expecting a quite fast-paced yet fulfilling journey, filled with action, losses, tears, blood and adrenaline.
|
The server doesn't meet your expectations, you feel fine at first because you're used to the slow paced game-play of HL2RP, it doesn't throw you off right away,
However after a set amount of time, after doing the same, repetitive and boring activities as you usually do in Stasiland, you begin to question yourself "Is this really what i was in visioning WW3RP to be?"

And finally, after a set amount of time, you get bored just enough to not care, and you stopped playing all-together.
I'm not saying that a Serious-RP WW3RP server doesn't have it's fanatics, just like HL2RP has, the only reason why HL2RP is able to hold itself
By this i mean, do you know how many times you've played on a World-War/Military themed RP server?

Now there's a reason why Military-RP's and HL2RP's can still hold their own even though they've existed for a good 7-8 years now, one of the main reasons is that they're classics.
I mean, everyone's played on a HL2RP/MilitaryRP at least once, so everybody has that sense of "nostalgia", and you tend to feel a lot more comfortable in them since they're very familiar to you.

But, if you're playing the same old gamemode as you always did, no matter how polished and well-done it is, it can get boring too.

That's why i think that we need to bring something new to the table, something fresh, interesting, and most importantly of all, something that will not require a lot of learning to get into.​
This might be the most important reason to why i'm doing this, just by the simple fact that i'm almost 99% certain that if we, the community, media-devs, developers and head-staff don't give it a try, i doubt there will be another gmod-based community that will have members talented and dedicated enough to even attempt this.

And you know what they say, you can try and fail, but when you don't, that's when you truly lost.

3.png

Well, I'm sure that when it comes to this, everyone would have their own great idea, but i don't really have enough time to go through 7,500 people's opinions and ideas, so I'm going to list the most "ambitious" ones.

image.png

SHOGUN WARS

A SeriousRP gamemode set in the early 1600's, around 1653-1657 to be exact, at the time Japan was mainly ruled by the Tokugawa's.
My take is to take inspiration from way-back Japan, and "twist" the history(or lore if that's what you want to call it) of the server so that whilst the Tokugawa's have the majority of territory and power, there's still a danger of them being overthrown by lesser Shogun's.

The server would require a quite big, either heavily-edited or made from scratch map, that would be able to host around 50/60 players at once, with 2/3 main 'cities', that'll each be under the rule of a different Shogun, 4/5 villages that would be the main source of workforce and income, they'd be the main points of interest for the factions, since they would seek control over them in order to boost their overall power and wealth.
Couple that with a couple of monuments, a dojo, battlefield and port, we'd have a very nice setting for the server.

Now as you might've already noticed, this project would require A LOT of work and polish in order to be done properly, and whilst i'd be able to make every weapon/prop/house model we'd need, i'd also require help from my fellow media-dev folks, for things such as;

Other 3D stuff so i wouldn't have to work on everything myself, and i know that @spalius , @Jamie and @Manio would be of great help here.

Coding some gameplay elements, and overseeing the server/progress, and i'm sure that @Jaydawg , @alex and @Gary would be the best fit for this one.

Concept art, texture work or other server-related assets such as banners, clothing designs and enviroment concepts, this would be easily handled by; @PADEX , @Ricsow , @pandowaty and @Elan

And every other Media-Dev and developer that i didn't mention here, i'm sure every single one of you would be a great addition to this project.

4.png

Now you already know that there's no 'perfect' recipe for a RP server, everyone has their own pros and cons, and with a gamemode that's never been done before, we wouldn't really have anything to reference ourselves to, but with enough trial and error coupled with dedication and hard work, i'm certain we'd be able to accomplish our goals.

Now you might also mention the whole "expectations" stuff i was talking about before, well we would obviously have to make some changes and additions to the typical SeriousRP ruleset, ideally let the combat be more of a rare occurrence, dynamic yet unforgiving.

Please, feel free to throw your own two cents on this one, surely each single one of you has their own individual opinion about this, and i'd love to hear you all out, and chip me a neb or two if you think this would be a great opportunity to expand the community to new branches, hopefully with some traction we could get the Head-Staff's attention and who know, we might just make something out of nothing.

5.png

nope
pokemon rp

D

Deleted member 7099

here's the dig
if this project manages to get a coder i'm 1000000% all in on working on animations, third or first person and helping with any sort of promotional material, even if it's something like a full on trailer i'll do it
this idea is real real boss

Nebulae
Something new and innovative like this would be really refreshing, gmod has been stagnating for a while now, if a server like this actually gets off its feet im sure that alot of people will at the very least check it out.

constantdisplay

nokia talk 2002
Nebulae
honestly, having a proper dedicated roll/check system combined with pure melee rp would be great

iirc there was a cw server (overture??) that had dedicated skill check rolls almost like d&d?

i think it it would make everything smoother - instead of dealing with how flawed both s2rp and s2k can be - and it still allows you to act out stuff properly

that being said i will yet again suggest an open ""event"" server where people can test any variety of settings/themes without having to have a full scale server release like ww3rp/ftrp

Nebulae
honestly, having a proper dedicated roll/check system combined with pure melee rp would be great
This combined with a dog-eat-dog type setting where warlords are constantly battling and common people are just trying to survive in the middle honestly gets me really excited, as a fan of old Japanese movies like Yojimbo and Seven Samurai this is definitely something id play, there is a large scope for the types of rp you could do.

One thing that has gotten tiring in hl2rp is the constant looming presence and pressure from the Combine, it would be interesting to see what players would do when given basically boundless freedom.

Nebulae
1.png

2.png

|

3.png

image.png

SHOGUN WARS

4.png

5.png

i seriously want to play some fucking shogun wars bro pls, shogun wars rp

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
i'll say it

people couldn't even play characters from the 80s/90s accurately in ww3rp, how do you think they'll manage 1600s japan?

Nebulae
i'll say it

people couldn't even play characters from the 80s/90s accurately in ww3rp, how do you think they'll manage 1600s japan?

it's japan, everyone in nebulous is a weeb who's played joseon/watches a shit ton of anime/or studies japan's history and culture

i have faith that everyone here could properly rp the smallest character in this gamemode, from farmer to ronin