[SUGGESTION] What's the difference between a vacuum cleaner and a lawyer on a motorcycle?

• Thread starter Deleted member 7099
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7099

The vacuum cleaner has the dirt bag on the inside.

Suggestion: courtrp, including lawsuits against other characters or companies or being brought to court for crimes they've committed. allow characters to be lawyers, either part of a player-created law firm or practice solo, be judges or participate in jury duty.DE!!!! BETTER CALL SAUL!!!!!!)

Explanation:

1) court hearings. after being arrested and before being put in jail, criminals should be put through court to decide their sentence. a good lawyer could lower or even potentially remove jail time all together with some compromises, like agreeing to probation, community service, etc. if a character assaults or commits any other crime against another character the victim could choose to push charges or not. a player could choose to simply take the default sentence if they don't want to go through the whole process.

2) lawsuits. if someone deems another character or player-ran company wronged them legally in some way, say their equipment directly caused injury or some other offense, they can take them to court, at a price. it would cost both parties money while potentially earning them a profit. a character could also fake an injury to take someone to court and attempt to scam them out of their money through a bogus lawsuit, but they not only risk their money but also jailtime. a rule should be in place to prevent a character from exploiting bogus lawsuits as to not disrupt companies and their roleplay.

3) lawyers. earn money from court cases, their performance deciding how much they make. the better their client's situation, the better their paycheck. i'm not sure if this reflects how real lawyers are payed but it works well for the server. before representing their client they can do research to find loopholes and form arguments or talk to anyone else involved in the case. their job is to lower their client's punishment as much as possible, they can choose how they do that. they can play it straight and concise or put on a charming performance, it depends on their character. the final say will be up to the judge's discretion. alternatively, people can represent themselves in court if they feel so ballsy.

4) judges and jury duty. jury duty can be made optional as to not disrupt roleplay or be mandatory for realism's sake. random characters currently online can be called to jury duty about 10 or so minutes in advance and can opt out due to any ooc obligations. they then decide among themselves if the defendant is guilty or not. if guilty, the judge then decides a sentence. players can apply to be a judge, likely held up to high scrutiny. there should be a rule for both the judge and jury to only decide based off ic facts presented in court and not persecute a player if they simply don't like them ooc.

5) the application process. ooc you'd have to apply to be a lawyer to prove you're not going to be a Freaking Troll. icly it'd be your bar test. passing the bar means you can be a lawyer. unlicensed lawyers cannot represent people in court. your character would have a background check done so if you have along criminal history you likely won't be accepted.

i suggest not doing this on the forums or in a discord vc and instead doing it entirely in-game. it's a lot funner to show up in a cool suit and tie, lay your briefcase down and argue before an actual judge instead of yelling at xX_booby_sucker_Xx#69420 in a discord channel and far more interactive, and this server is focusing on voicerp, doing it on the forums would just be boring. i'm like 90% sure there's a court on the gta5 map, have it teleport you to a basic courtroom interior. no need to intricately model the inside of it like you're a german source engine modder pondering over alyx vance's in the middle of the night.

How could this be beneficial toward the server as a whole?

this system inherently offers massive amounts of roleplay and character development, from the judge, jury and attorney's side and on the defendant's. court sessions could play out as wacky, unprofessional shouting matches or completely serious debates to itch at any roleplayer's urges. it opens new potential for characters, examples being someone who earns their money from making bogus lawsuits against companies, which develops more roleplay, say they mess with the wrong business and end up ziptied and blindfolded in the back of a van. they're sure to make just as much money as they do enemies. another could be a dishonest judge, taking bribes from criminals to give a member of a cartel a far lower sentence or a far higher one to a competitor, and i don't think i even need to make an argument for how fun playing a lawyer must be.

it also adds far more depth to committing crimes. criminals could take plea deals or have their lawyer argue their way out of jailtime entirely, it'd be overall massively beneficial to a server that seems to have a larger focus on crimerp. it is gta, afterall. finally, more job potential never hurts.

i wrote all of this while catching up on better call saul and with very little sleep cut me some slack please

Reactions: List

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
I think there should be just a max fine + max time per individual charge and let the officer/judge decide the balance. A rich person should definitely get hit with a higher fine, but an officer could take it easy on someone who is new + poor and just give them a longer time in prison but less of a fine.

Or.

Or or or or or.

Fines are a % of whatever your gross wealth is. So even if you have 0 dollars in your checking account, you will still be fined whatever based on your total assets (house, car, etc)
I'd rather make prison have good activities and you get out of there as soon as possible, nobody is going to enjoy standing around in prison.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I think there should be just a max fine + max time per individual charge and let the officer/judge decide the balance. A rich person should definitely get hit with a higher fine, but an officer could take it easy on someone who is new + poor and just give them a longer time in prison but less of a fine.

Or.

Or or or or or.

Fines are a % of whatever your gross wealth is. So even if you have 0 dollars in your checking account, you will still be fined whatever based on your total assets (house, car, etc)

this isn't realistic.

fines should be a set amount so that if you're poor you eat shit, and if you're rich you don't care

Deleted member 442

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
sounds stupid to me
I just wouldnt play during my multi day prison time

So like...Don't commit terrorism or don't run your meth op in a public park. The point is to deter stupid, reckless DarkRP behavior for crimes that should be considered HUGE in the city. If someone bombs a sitting judge, it should carry serious consequences if you get caught, not be something that's just like "Oh, that happened again? Usual Wednesday."

deterrence for crimes that are going to make the server look retarded if it's spammed out by every player within a 2 hour period

So you mean the crimes I listed? Like terrorism?

I'd rather make prison have good activities and you get out of there as soon as possible, nobody is going to enjoy standing around in prison.

Give us prison cock fights.

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
So like...Don't commit terrorism or don't run your meth op in a public park. The point is to deter stupid, reckless DarkRP behavior for crimes that should be considered HUGE in the city. If someone bombs a sitting judge, it should carry serious consequences if you get caught, not be something that's just like "Oh, that happened again? Usual Wednesday."

So you mean the crimes I listed? Like terrorism?

Give us prison cock fights.
not having fun for a few days should not be a punishment for playing the game as intended

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
fines should make new players not want to immediately quit but also stop them from speeding across the city 24/7

new players will invariably start with a large subsidy of cash so they're able to make the choice between safe investing and growth or just blowing it all on a nice car

there is no world where giving the players a fat initial sum of money so they can experience stuff is a bad idea

Deleted member 442

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
not having fun for a few days should not be a punishment for playing the game as intended

It's a roleplay server, they can roleplay in prison, it's not like it all comes to a halt once you're shipped up. If you don't want to go to prison for a serious length of time, don't do the crime, or at the very least don't get caught doing it.

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
there is no world where giving the players a fat initial sum of money so they can experience stuff is a bad idea
yes there is. gradually earning a modest starting incoming is infinitely better than just having it handed to you in pretty much any semi serious rp
I typed my response during a rocket league game here is a much better one

I see no issue with serious crimes being another wednesday in gtarp, I just dont want to see it every hour. if I get in trouble for running meth then spending 15 minutes in prison and having a hefty fine that puts a dent in my operation as an acceptable punishment. I dont want my choices to be called stupid and the server to actively try to stop me from doing certain crimes a certain way, then you'll just funnel your playerbase into taking zero risks, and inevitably have a stale community that doesn't ever do anything interesting

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
if I get in trouble for running meth then spending 15 minutes in prison and having a hefty fine that puts a dent in my operation as an acceptable punishment.
I think for something that serious would be much longer than 15 minutes but we need to set a maximum expected time for prison, you'll be able to work down the time much quicker with tasks anyway.

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I think for something that serious would be much longer than 15 minutes but we need to set a maximum expected time for prison, you'll be able to work down the time much quicker with tasks anyway.
yeah thats fine. if I can work an hour prison sentence down to 30 or 20 minutes then that's solid
i disagree.
player joins server
player gets fine
player pays the fine
player has significantly less money
player creates new character
player has cash reset

you cant write rules to stop something like that. if you gradually introduce the money over a couple hours playtime then they have more investment with their character and personal story, and will be less likely to take that 3 hour hit at building new relationships, starting stuff and money

Deleted member 442

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
I see no issue with serious crimes being another wednesday in gtarp, I just dont want to see it every hour. if I get in trouble for running meth then spending 15 minutes in prison and having a hefty fine that puts a dent in my operation as an acceptable punishment. I dont want my choices to be called stupid and the server to actively try to stop me from doing certain crimes a certain way, then you'll just funnel your playerbase into taking zero risks, and inevitably have a stale community that doesn't ever do anything interesting

People will still take risks even if there's a severe punishment, it will just force people to actually consider those consequences and roleplay around it. A slow burn terrorist organization arc that has the risk of IRL days in prison would carry much more weight than tiny prison sentences encouraging every chode and their nan to go out shooting a judge whenever they're unhappy with what the cops do. We wouldn't even be able to have these cool slow burn arcs if there's no "grave" consequences. Giving someone a 15 minute prison sentence for trafficking pillows of meth is a laughable slap on the wrist and they'll just go run it back again. There should be deterrents for wantonly stupid behavior when it comes to major crimes. Not having any actual time-related consequence is going to bring you right back to the stale community problem and it'll be deadder than the HL2RP server is when people are just doing DarkRP-tier crim RP. Maybe it'll encourage people to consider civilian RP stuff instead of coming right into the server acting like a mob boss right out of the gate.

People will absolutely start grenading cops every hour at the slightest inconvenience, go to jail for an hour, and come back to do it again. Literally see it on NoPixel every day and some of those people are in the negatives for millions of dollary doos and still don't care.

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
People will still take risks even if there's a severe punishment, it will just force people to actually consider those consequences and roleplay around it. A slow burn terrorist organization arc that has the risk of IRL days in prison would carry much more weight than tiny prison sentences encouraging every chode and their nan to go out shooting a judge whenever they're unhappy with what the cops do. We wouldn't even be able to have these cool slow burn arcs if there's no "grave" consequences. Giving someone a 15 minute prison sentence for trafficking pillows of meth is a laughable slap on the wrist and they'll just go run it back again. There should be deterrents for wantonly stupid behavior when it comes to major crimes. Not having any actual time-related consequence is going to bring you right back to the stale community problem and it'll be deadder than the HL2RP server is when people are just doing DarkRP-tier crim RP.

People will absolutely start grenading cops every hour at the slightest inconvenience, go to jail for an hour, and come back to do it again. Literally see it on NoPixel every day and some of those people are in the negatives for millions of dollary doos and still don't care.
sounds like a fun server
there will always be players that go out of their way at those slow burn arcs regardless of what's going on around them
see: the server you mentioned as an example

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
A slow burn terrorist organization arc that has the risk of IRL days in prison would carry much more weight than tiny prison sentences
You can still do this, you can easily work out with someone OOC to put you in for that time because it's a direction you want to take.
People are having fun though.

Deleted member 442

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
new players will invariably start with a large subsidy of cash so they're able to make the choice between safe investing and growth or just blowing it all on a nice car

this would be wank.

give people like a couple grand to start and just let them figure it out from there. just enough to afford basics, maybe a work-vehicle (flatbeds or taxis for example).

on NP you get like $5,500 to start with and you basically have to pick between a fishing/weapons/hunting license (each license is 5k each, or a clerk could give you all 3 for $2k) or some sort of utility vehicle for other legal jobs.

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
player joins server
player gets fine
player pays the fine
player has significantly less money
player creates new character
player has cash reset

you cant write rules to stop something like that. if you gradually introduce the money over a couple hours playtime then they have more investment with their character and personal story, and will be less likely to take that 3 hour hit at building new relationships, starting stuff and money

where did personal stories get involved

this is a funny fuckaround light RP server

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
it'll be very funny to see people making up personal stories while putting on silly voices
You don't have to put on a voice but any character can have their story.

I don't know how but people get stuck in this mindset of "it's either DarkRP or super serious RP"