Super 8 Filming on Gmod

World Prop

Quark
Nebulae
After an hour of messing around with in-game post-processing, filming and giving it some effects in Davcini Resolve; tell me what you think.

I had a bunch more film filters available but for some reason, they ruined the chromatic abberation and it's impact on colour.

If anyone is interested in replicating these effects, here is a presentation link: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1Av2cpoOHLKgaKgOsc3apqKSWqLjuc5b4EoFCgvsgvOo/edit?usp=sharing
Note: The presentation is a guide to effects only within Garry's Mod, not Davinci Resolve.

If you are going to hinder settings for your own result, I suggest starting with Color Correction, do not turn it off fully but ajust the Brightness and Contrast until it meets the exposure of the scene, Super 8 had awful exposure issues and it is best to replicate it.

The Cinematic Camera also comes with multiple filters of it's own, I used 'summer' in my footage but different scenes DO go nice with other filters.

Last edited:
Reactions: List

Khiel

Molecule
Nebulae
After an hour of messing around with in-game post-processing, filming and giving it some effects in Davcini Resolve; tell me what you think.

fx are cool but u need to actually have something happening really

its a bit TOO saturated even for the vibe you're going for imo

World Prop

Quark
Nebulae
fx are cool but u need to actually have something happening really

its a bit TOO saturated even for the vibe you're going for imo
It was more of a test for now, trust me the saturation is the best I could do, I watched through a few videos of Super 8 and that's the closest I could get on Gmod without messing up the look.

ddæ

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
its good but i think its mainly more static rather than grain like it should be and therefore heavily detracts from the prime aesthetics of super 8

Reactions: List

World Prop

Quark
Nebulae
its good but i think its mainly more static rather than grain like it should be and therefore heavily detracts from the prime aesthetics of super 8

I've got rid of the static since and moved onto grain. Now the issue is, my original video looked a lot more unique to itself, wheres the new, shorter video has truer saturation, whether it'd be magenta, blue, orange or teal influenced; as I clearly went with magenta, it just looks more Gmod'y with a cheap filter, but it's more accurate to the real Super 8, I pulled off the color by setting the color multiplier fairly low at about 0.30 or so, the world almost looked sepia but I set 'color add' at 3, 3, 3 on all colors so instead of color being full range, it kind of pulled out color only as much as it needed.

ddæ

`impulse-approved
Nebulae

I've got rid of the static since and moved onto grain. Now the issue is, my original video looked a lot more unique to itself, wheres the new, shorter video has truer saturation, whether it'd be magenta, blue, orange or teal influenced; as I clearly went with magenta, it just looks more Gmod'y with a cheap filter, but it's more accurate to the real Super 8, I pulled off the color by setting the color multiplier fairly low at about 0.30 or so, the world almost looked sepia but I set 'color add' at 3, 3, 3 on all colors so instead of color being full range, it kind of pulled out color only as much as it needed.

the grain is definitely cash money

i think there should be more of an orange dominance to it all though, as to create a jarring affect of romanticized imagery that super 8 creates rather than the current purple dominance