the curse of stasiland CUtlLinkedList overflow! (exhausted index range) (x99999999)

Candle

buzz buzz
Nebulae
this issue is being reported on a new, freshly reinstalled version of garry's mod, only subscribed to the addons of the nebulous.cloud hl2rp pack. it has content from hl2 ep1 & 2, alongside from cs:s, from csscheater (now called GmodContent.com). it is on the chromium branch.

image.png

image.png

attempting fixes on my own, i had found this old steam thread stating a similar issue. general consensus was to add 'cl_new_impact_effects 0' to my autoexec folder. doing this has not shown any improvement. this next one suggested troubleshooting mode, of which has not fixed the error.

this thread on facepunch from 8 years ago suggests it to be an issue with particle / sprites of impacts, which they attempted and found a fix to on the dev branch three years ago (?) ((dev branch did not fix this, and gave the same errors as the below, non-chromium screenshot))

(trying other branches, the default non-chromium branch had a similar issue, but!
kMS2OWz.png

this german forum post (even longer ago, ten years) suggests it is a memory leak regarding entity (matches with above) issues, though the issue itself seems to be only an issue on community made maps
jBPuR8r.png

fearing it to be a map issue, gary has helped me by launching the event server for me to load into and see if the issue persists there, given it has not happened on other servers i've joined.
this is confirmed, as loading into the event server i am greeted with the same issue, on the same map

image.png

and numbers has all but CONFIRMED it is a map issue when he sent me this text bit from a convo abt this in the past,
IMG_9910.png

which is an exact 1:1 example of the video i posted above
whiiich means the map is likely fucked. oopsie

Candle

buzz buzz
Nebulae
upon loading into the event server and switching the map to staisiland_fog, i no longer have this issue

Candle

buzz buzz
Nebulae
upon the server being changed to stasiland_fog and all props transferred, this issue decides to show itself again and persist

boots

spooky skellys
HL2 RP Senior Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
this map is fucked for me, the mountains fail to render at a distance
image.png

Kiko

Professional Professionalist
Nebulae
I Had this on i17, the only thing that fixed it for me was logging onto another character upon joining the server, and only then loading the character I wanted to play. Don't have it on this map though. Weird all around.

WstStranger

Proton
Nebulae
Adding on my own, had this in i17_betastyle manp for a while until the last day, somehow.

It also happens here (and even on fog version), and is very annoying. So far nothing I made has been a concrete solution, it just fixes itself at random with no pattern on how it goes.

The only clue/pattern from these maps is that first day was completely fine for me to load and there was no rubber-banding at all, but latter days as I observe more decorations/props I started getting those issues.
Improving fps on the client side did nothing. People with much better PCs and even ping than mine have that issue... So it is very improbable our PCs could be at fault here. Could either be something from the server or just the map being buggy.

My only suggestion and probably viable experiment is reducing the prop count and see what happens. Even if there aren't TOO many (though this map is bringing my PC to it's knees) it could be affecting the apparently very sensitive map.

Reactions: List