Serious The Downfall of WW3RP: From the perspective of one of the common folk

Akula

Sangheili Bias
Nebulae
coalition roleplay: vasili pavlevich... my oldest friend... i fear this terrible war has forever stained my soul... how shall i return home to my dearest oblast? how will i hold my masha in my hands? these hands, so drenched with blood? woe.... weal and woe... my friend...
nato roleplay: HOPE I GET TO FUCKIN GREASE SOME NEW YORKERS TODAY. OORAH OORAH! I LOVE WAR! KILL A COMMIE FOR MOMMY YEAAHH OOORAH

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
"civillian" just meant "independant fighter" at some point, but I suppose it was inevitable. At the risk of sounding like a certain server director if people had been playing civillian "right" they'd all be hiding from gunfights and avoiding soldiers like the plague, but practically the only thing that type of playstyle has is pure roleplay which isn't enough for a lot of people.
civilian = non-combatant
insurgent = combatant

civilian to some people = gung-ho urban rambo rocking an entire arsenal crammed in his pants

at least us cops stood out immediately and unless we made a show of running around out of our uniforms people knew what we were on sight

Reactions: List

Kleis

Electron
Nebulae
It's the first week of the server, and your coalition team dare to take five steps outside of the FOB:

Kleis

Electron
Nebulae
civilian = non-combatant
insurgent = combatant

civilian to some people = gung-ho urban rambo rocking an entire arsenal crammed in his pants

at least us cops stood out immediately and unless we made a show of running around out of our uniforms people knew what we were on sight
Cops were alright most of the time, was a cool moment of respite for roleplay. If it wasn't for the whole civilian niko bellic simulator, it would've been alright. Granted it got cut down eventually... to a degree... but I wouldn't be surprised if people left

coalition roleplay: vasili pavlevich... my oldest friend... i fear this terrible war has forever stained my soul... how shall i return home to my dearest oblast? how will i hold my masha in my hands? these hands, so drenched with blood? woe.... weal and woe... my friend...
nato roleplay: HOPE I GET TO FUCKIN GREASE SOME NEW YORKERS TODAY. OORAH OORAH! I LOVE WAR! KILL A COMMIE FOR MOMMY YEAAHH OOORAH
This is another thing I don't understand. I mean no point in repeating what was seen... doubt any iteration ever comes out again anyway but it's just always the same thing, mah s2k, always, even after twenty fucking gazillion years

Akula

Sangheili Bias
Nebulae
passive field rp with hero of coalition katja korsheva and the spaniard gang was cool as fuck, i enjoyed my time :)

Kleis

Electron
Nebulae
passive field rp with hero of coalition katja korsheva and the spaniard gang was cool as fuck, i enjoyed my time :)
Making sure everyone knew where andalusia was... @mårten knows

Was pretty cool stuff, really enjoyed it too. @Rod and I truly a mighty combo, showing potato farmer how to dance. Coals had the best stuff

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
ww3rp was taken far too seriously for what it was, which lead to people complaining about getting shot on a server that should have just been hosted through something like arma

mårten

Atom
Nebulae
cops were fine until a certain clique of RPers starting integrating it into their spec-ops fantasies

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
cops were fine until a certain clique of RPers starting integrating it into their spec-ops fantasies
you mean the SWAT team or what happened after nyc?

SWAT all died before NYC ended, same with almost all the beatcops besides @Mic15000
rapidjuice & @TinPan were the last remaining detectives

mårten

Atom
Nebulae
you mean the SWAT team or what happened after nyc?

SWAT all died before NYC ended, same with almost all the beatcops besides @Mic15000
rapidjuice & @TinPan were the last remaining detectives
what it all turned into during downtowndawn and after was absolutely horrible

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
there was a desire for RP and the motion for RP, but poor gameplay accommodation.

the server was set up for TDM effectively, despite it being a Roleplay Framework. if it was a bogstandard Military RP server then it'd be fine, but the main point of WW3RP is the roleplay in that world. without the roleplay then what's the point in having it be WW3RP?

after all, there were very few modern guns since for some reason there's been a constant emphasis on a time shift to the past and an alternative history, meaning all that the WW3RP 'idea' is, is just "oh but what if the soviets won and NATO didn't? hmmm?"

there was fuck all actual story relevant to the server, and any that did exist was only carried out through the roleplay of a very limited number of individuals who were diligent and persistent enough to try for it. even when i was in S40, a full-blown spy faction meant to have that espionage and roleplay focus, it just felt like plainsclothes soldier who couldn't do shit, especially when there was nothing beforehand mentioning maps would change quickly. i expected to be on the rp_newyork or whatever for a fair bit, and built a lot of my character around it, but like 2-3 weeks in we're moving already and now there's no point being on my spy realistically since his initial goal ceased to exist anymore.

if WW3RP were to happen again, it'd have to be with a new coat of paint and with a new focus, as well as a new lead. the RP focus would have to return and it should carry out as what people coming to WW3RP should expect, instead of the weird alternative history stuff; there was a damn good reason that was left to an event series rather than the main focus.

citizens or 'unaffiliated' should require either whitelisting or premium (or both). the gameplay and story should be on the dynamic between Coals and NATO first, with anything else being just extra icing on the cake. interesting maps that aren't in the middle of cities that aren't remotely designed for that kind of combat, more focus on military-related operations that aren't just 'okay so we're all going to go loud and at once in this direction and shoot them all' or 'it's just objective point capture like in arma'. NCOs and COs should be given instructions from those in higher command positions (with the highest of COs being restricted to staff or highly trusted members who can demonstrate active commitment and an actual degree of strategy) who will be the people who drive the story on the server and drive the operations forward, who will know the map objectives and will be tasked in seeing them through not in a single day or a week but over a genuine amount of time.

i'll be honest, i really would like WW3RP again. not like stasi and not like the most recent iteration; i want it to be like Neb's early WW3RP, with an actual dynamic story and a focus on the roleplay-gameplay interactions between two sides of a war. it's been shown clearly that with good leadership and commitment that HL2RP can be revived (big props to @Numbers @Gary @Trains @Appetite Ruining Kebab @RedMan @PepicWalrus and the rest of the HL2RP staff team both present and former in this new iteration).

if HL2RP can be revived, I'm damn well certain WW3RP could be revived too. i know there's questions and criticisms like "who would be server director?" "what is the point?" "LP/Early Neb WW3RP was a clockwork mess you won't get players" "it will go just like the last two" etc. etc. but it's been nearly six years since then (i think) and i'm quite confident that people would be interested in it. if you shoot the idea down before giving it a chance, then that doesn't say the idea was bad, just that you're triggerhappy.

Akula

Sangheili Bias
Nebulae
I think a Stasiland-type server but using the last iterations setting so you could have a red dawn type thing set in america would be pretty interesting and perhaps more accessible for ppl who weren't geling with the incredibly specific setting of occupied germany.

but obvs that would just be a really bad idea to to do rn with hl2rp effectively being the same thing lol

Akula

Sangheili Bias
Nebulae
also tbh i dont think any of us were expecting the last ww3rp to last a super long time? iirc it was specifically marketed as a summer thing, and for what its worth i had a lot of good moments on it, I don't regret playing it 🤷‍♀️

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
I think a Stasiland-type server but using the last iterations setting so you could have a red dawn type thing set in america would be pretty interesting and perhaps more accessible for ppl who weren't geling with the incredibly specific setting of occupied germany.

but obvs that would just be a really bad idea to to do rn with hl2rp effectively being the same thing lol
a stasiland-type would be quite fun, but as you mentioned with HL2RP existing it would be fairly defunct in purpose sadly

it could make for a fun few-week-long event, where the only military presence is exclusively staff/event based and the only faction is civilians, focusing on how that military presence affects that lifestyle and the requirement for things like air raids and spontaneous chemical attacks

Rod

remove bias
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Making sure everyone knew where andalusia was... @mårten knows

Was pretty cool stuff, really enjoyed it too. @Rod and I truly a mighty combo, showing potato farmer how to dance. Coals had the best stuff
The incredible adventures of Cancer Boy and Village Man

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
that was the initial pitch

the problem was civilians turned into gung ho militia characters on the literal first day and both factions got bogged down in TDM "muh balance" bitching instead of playing to their strengths