The Gaming Industry Today

Angel

she/her/they nonbinary transfem
Nebulae
Anyone who does early accesses, go funds me, patreons, alphas or any other sort of means to gain money before even doing the game should hang themselves and die in a fire.

Also no man's sky should die in a fire along with everyone involved in that game.

swagile

Atom
Nebulae
reason why game industry still does this shit is because, despite how SHIT the "sales" are right now, people still pre-order

they still pay for "expansions"

they still pay for "DLC"

as long as consumers are dumb enough to keep shoveling money towards the game industry at its worst, the game industry will never get better

if someone told me i could sell half baked software with pretty colors in it for 60$ a pop and id make MILLIONS in profit even with declining sales, id do it

same concept here. even with HUGELY declined sales, they are STILL making profits, and I mean profits after taxes and all expenses

swagile

Atom
Nebulae
dont you just love those retarded cod kids who pay 10 pounds for 4 maps and like 2 new guns

they are what allow the slow death of the current game industry

i just play shit graphic games dungeon crawlers like DOOMRL, RimWorld, Dwarf Fortress, and Space Station 13 since they actually have great, long lasting gameplay without having to pay a cent

bad graphics but if i wanted graphics id buy a shitty cod remake goblin alien zombies EDITION

Reactions: List

ruben slikk

life aint shut but a fat vagin
Nebulae
older games from pre-2010~ because I can play them fully knowing bugs will be non-existent or minimal
lots of complaints about newer games compared to older games to be made, but this isn't one of them

Nebulae
It might be hard to see it now, but we're in a golden age of videogames. You've got an absolute flood of new games coming out, much much cheaper than ever before, on a much much more innovative and useful sales platform than going to a shop/ordering the game online. I mean Steam, of course.

The problems today are just different from before, not worse imo. The outstanding games of 5/10 years ago are still being remade because they make money, and now they're all learning just how effective micro transactions are, even if it isolates your main audience.

Another problem is the quality of what's being released, and the common "alpha/beta/pre-release" releases that are often just a ploy for developers to steal player's money, then never go past alpha with the game. People are cozying on to this, as well as paying for pre releases, so along with Steam instituting more rigorous quality control, I still maintain this is a net positive.

The most interesting thing to me, is seeing how as the average player becomes better at games, the market will react. You look at games like FIFA or Pro Evo and how they incrementally got more difficult as the skill level of their average player got better, and in a few years, you've got a different game. Seeing that across all sorts of games is definitely exciting, and in many respects it's been there for a while. That's why, in my opinion, CS:GO is more popular than COD, because COD is generally an easier game, being less tactical, etc.

That's not even mentioning virtual reality... Whether you like it or not, that'll have a huge market when it takes off

tldr. videogame industry has lots of problems, but they're generally problems from their new-found success. Videogames have more quality, more variance and a better means of distribution than ever before.

Goatson

Guardian
Nebulae
If Bannerlord is good AND Blizz announces Warcraft 4 I will be satisfied with the industry for years to come.

idrc about any other game franchises

Reactions: List

Gabby

Atom
Nebulae
I just wished FPSs would go back to that 90s/200s feeling of gameplay, level design and story telling.

I want to scavenge my ammo and health while being put through weird enemies and worlds
I want my story to be told subtlety like in dark souls or half-life then after beating it i try to understand what just happened
I want that off putting music and sound effects mixing in with the world that i can't tell what's just background or in world
I want my childhood charm of playing HL1 and it's spin offs for the first time basically

Plus i want this kind of voice acting, bad sound quality and all

Nebulae
I just wished FPSs would go back to that 90s/200s feeling of gameplay, level design and story telling.

I want to scavenge my ammo and health while being put through weird enemies and worlds
I want my story to be told subtlety like in dark souls or half-life then after beating it i try to understand what just happened
I want that off putting music and sound effects mixing in with the world that i can't tell what's just background or in world
I want my childhood charm of playing HL1 and it's spin offs for the first time basically

'member the tram ride? 'member exploding the soup in the microwave?

Nebulae

We just don't get games like those anymore nowadays. The only thing that comes close to that is Hotline Miami.