The Gaming Industry Today

Nebulae
Lately, I have been noticing that games, famous franchises are tarnishing their own names through poor development choices. What's strikingly odd is that this problem seems wide spread in the AAA industry. Halo, Call of Duty, Star Wars Battlefront, Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Mafia, even Grand Theft Auto V (despite it's fantastic narrative), all have tremendous flaws that are not supposed to be common in such games that should be prided on being the best you can get.

To me, it seems that the most highest priority in development lately is making video games as pretty for E3 as possible rather than actually attempting to make a game with solid game play mechanics that are fun an innovative. However, there are some games that have met a maintained expectation that many AAA companies seem to really want to lower. Games like Overwatch, The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us, Battlefield 1, as well as other, more indie developer titles such as Hotline Miami 1 & 2 are all examples of great games as of late. However, I'd much like to hear what you guys think. What are your thoughts on the current video game industry?

Reactions: List

Rictalspace

Manager of Fist Industries
Nebulae
This is something that's been in the works for the past five years. Back in the day a game would come out finished without microtransactions where the first purchase of a game was usually the most you pay for the game with downloadable content coming later. There was none of this 'Season pass' bullshit or microtransactions (A few games had them, but not in a way that took away half the game).

Now the video games industry has become way more business orientated now that it's way more popular than before. It's all about short-term profits so games can be brought out early and updated later. For example, Halo 5 was brought out without the majority of the gamemodes that were brought out in every game before it such as Big Team Battle and Infection. It's a shame, because you can't get a game now without there being day 1 bugs or without microtransactions, season passes or day 1 DLC (Battlefield 1, Battlefront).

The industry is pretty shitty at the moment.

Stalker

the very best rp man on planet earth
Nebulae
I find myself going back and playing older games from pre-2010~ because I can play them fully knowing bugs will be non-existent or minimal, quality will 90% of the time be up to standards and the DLC will either be non-existent or actually add something to the game.

For Instance, having heard the whole Mafia 3 fiasco I went back to play Mafia 2, which seems to be a far superior game in everything apart from graphics.

Two of my favourite games, Rimworld and Kenshi, are both early access indie titles which offer more than most new fully released tripple A games, it's been said before but no one listened - if you don't like how the product is turning out, don't buy it. If you keep giving devs money for shit, they'll make even more shit.

Rictalspace

Manager of Fist Industries
Nebulae
Thankfully this year has seen the most backlash at shitty games. Like Halo 5 probably has the worst turnout in its history (They currently say that its monthly unique players are higher than Halo 3, but 'Unique players' can be defined as someone who turns on Halo 5 and then shuts their console down for the rest of the month. But currently its population is awful in comparison to launch.
No Man's Sky, speaks for itself.
Star Wars: Battlefront, also speaks for itself, population dwindles in that game and is nothing in comparison to Battlefront 2.

NightVeil

Bringer of Sales
Nebulae
In line with @Rictalspace, I do agree that the gaming industry has become too business oriented. Most popular games today are riddled with transactions and DLC. DLC is ok, to me at least, if it is perhaps 1 or 2 per game and they add significant additions to the game. But micro transactions are just wrong and greedy of the company.

In addition to this, there seems to be a lack of story heavy games on the market lately. Now, I could be wrong, but that is at least my opinion from what I have seen. There is however and increased volume of shooters and games of that nature.

I remember back, before the turn of the decade, when you could have a full game and only pay for it once. Those do still exist, but their numbers are dwindling.

Grau

Atom
B A N N E D
Nebulae
In line with @Rictalspace, I do agree that the gaming industry has become too business oriented. Most popular games today are riddled with transactions and DLC. DLC is ok, to me at least, if it is perhaps 1 or 2 per game and they add significant additions to the game. But micro transactions are just wrong and greedy of the company.

In addition to this, there seems to be a lack of story heavy games on the market lately. Now, I could be wrong, but that is at least my opinion from what I have seen. There is however and increased volume of shooters and games of that nature.

I remember back, before the turn of the decade, when you could have a full game and only pay for it once. Those do still exist, but their numbers are dwindling.
Besides a few exceptions, I didn't play a good AAA game in ages, I just resorted to indie games.

NightVeil

Bringer of Sales
Nebulae
didn't play a good AAA game in ages, I just resorted to indie games
Indie games are good to. Some, at least. And then you look at No Man's Sky and well that was a big hit for the Indie industry as a whole i would say.

Oh, and just as a side note, my argument was oriented towards AAA games, not so much indie.

NightVeil

Bringer of Sales
Nebulae
I'm probably taking this out of context, but I reckon the way things are going, it's only a matter of time before we have another industry crash like in 1983.
Shit I forgot all about that.

However it is hard to say if that will actually happen again. The crash of 1983 was more because of people moving away from gaming or gaming consoles at least. Now days the gaming industry is so large that seems un-feasible. People still buy the games, companies still get the money. However, if a large population of gamers and such where to actively stand up and stop taking shit from companies like EA or such, then that could certainly cause a crash.

And the way things are going, that type of distress does seem feasible.

NightVeil

Bringer of Sales
Nebulae
Time to make a movement?
"Now is the time. The time to end the wave of oppression. The time to take down the powerful, the rich, the people who think they are above us. Now is the time to strike out! We are the people, and we shall make our voices heard! No more of this silence. No more of this willingness to follow the cause. Today, we make our demands known!

All great things, peoples, places, are build on a foundation. We are the foundation. Let us now make the building fall."

Deleted member 61

donator without a cause
Nebulae
Yeah man I heard those dudes are making games and shit.

AAA titles are usually ok for the audience they're going for, if you're not a casual gamer, there's your reason they don't seem good to you. They're dull, lack substantial content and dumbed down.

Nebulae
Yeah man I heard those dudes are making games and shit.

AAA titles are usually ok for the audience they're going for, if you're not a casual gamer, there's your reason they don't seem good to you. They're dull, lack substantial content and dumbed down.
Star Wars Battlefront 2 was a casual game. It had a good campaign, fantastic game play, and it's only DLC was for five bucks to get two new heroes and a new map.

Call of Duty Black Ops/World At War had great multiplayer (community was cancerous), fantastic story lines in famous historical battles, and an intense, satisfying coop Zombie game mode (my favorite). It's DLC were extra maps for Zombies and multiplayer, but it still delivered a good experience as vanilla.

These games were casual, yet were filled with great content. They had no game breaking bugs what so ever.