Serious Toast's post of modeling misadventures

Toast Lord

Electron
Nebulae
Right, So I've been away for awhile from the server, hopping on others and trying out different shit. I figured with every other server having its own content with its own imagination of their addons, I figured I'd try my hand at modeling for source. I've done tidbits here and there, from making simple hacked props from existing models, to actually swapping parts and adding onto models to my liking just for the hell of it or even swapping textures around for something a little fresh. This is basically a forum to show off the stuff I've basically been doing with my experiments in the Source Engine.

Keep in mind I'm in no way shape or form a professional, so a lot of these may look crap-tastic of various degree.
These were created combining the head of the woodland rebel outfit that I found in the TnB model pack, and the original conscript models which can be found here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=151119348&searchtext=Conscript (Yes I realize I've basically re-created the conscript models we used, but I forgotten at the time and I wanted to test my hand at transferring meshes to different models)

Male model after I finished putting the bodygroup's together in the QC
fUsR2he.jpg

I tried making a female version of the model for giggles, but turns out transfering the mesh between different skeletons (Male to Female) Was needing some work since they didin't actually conform with the skeleton.
rvBzbp8.jpg

Ditto with the models finished. Using the vest bodygroups from the addon, and containing Half Life 2 and Garry's Mod animations, so its compatible with Clockwork, playermodels, and in Combine Control (For the few that play it.)
kOekQSG.jpg

At the time of writing, I'm also trying my hand at transplanting other stuff from models. For example, The Molle vest thats commonly seen in the TnB Model pack, Onto the female conscript; Though to say the least I think I did a rather poor job on this one, and might need help and opinion on it. Not sure if you can see, from these angles I've provided, but the vest looks like its floating from the body, and I typically have trouble with conforming it to the shape of the body because then the clothing below clips outward from it, rather frustrating since I'm not sure how to make it better.
nw3rlVT.png

wYCQj91.png

Xbvk482.png

Using the TnB Models, I swapped a few parts around as well as using a few custom textures I've found around the workshop and FPSB.

For example as a starters, I used the casual civilian pack and swapped the bodygroups onto the TnB models. While some people may see this as mediocre, I for one was actually estatic at the moment cause I was finally learning how to create and manage bodygroups on a model.
jFnoxjS.jpg

Along with its pants counterpart
lxDLcN3.jpg

I had a friend of mine talk to me about making a simple bodygroup for a model he uses in his custom RP server called 'Dennis', a sort of soldier in 'The Left Army' faction that used to apparently be in TnB itself from what I understand, and I was given this concept art he had commissioned to least give me an Idea of where I should start.
uhoFvh1.jpg

After Swapping around parts from various other models, including the Vest from a model that I believe is from Modern Warfare, I managed to spew out this. (He requested that I don't include the cigarette in the model)
7KENQcI.jpg

XIsP8lz.jpg

You can also see in the second picture of how I made the mistake of deleting the body except from the arms. Notice how the arms are kinda...floating a bit from the vest. Other than that there's this weird black splotch in the lower left side of the model. I think that might be cause I had to squish the vest slightly, so tri's might be overlapping each other and causing a shadow in the source engine, though thats up to anyone's opinion.

Another model I've made was a character Ian Tucker, for shits and giggles that I made.
Km5Nq9t.png

G8KXDfT.png

Y93zfjD.png

(Something went wrong with the resistance pauldron on the right side. Not sure how I can fix this.)
eOaKpq9.png

wnTqlmh.png

2Egbyid.png
Swapping textures I found with the sub material tool to create a sort of new-ish looking Overwatch Soldier.
hK4FOJ3.jpg

hGUnMSp.jpg

I wish instead of Camo, it was a dark navy blue color with the combine symbols.

Making bone-Mergable rebel vests and MPF Belts, both are customizable by applying a different texture with the Sub-Material tool. I somewhat like the concept of Options, typically this was used with PAC3 which is easily applied by just spawning the prop and checking the 'Bone merge' box.
sK0xKR8.jpg

And showing off the customization I was speaking of:
ylyueyZ.jpg

Im also in the process of trying to recompile all the TnB Models to utilize both Garry's mod and Half Life 2 Animations, so it can be used in clockwork (If anyone is even interested in such anymore)
cHhuib7.jpg

A custom CP model I'm practicing to create. Masks and Body would be Bodygroups.
sAHdPg6.gif

(The C8 Texture was a placeholder since I didin't have the vanilla VMT available to be imported. Im sorry about the quality, I don't have a decent Gif Maker, it went from Gyazo to a converter.)

Various other wearables I've kinda stitched together, Generally designed to be used in PAC 3
ef59185791392313493b7cede414724b.png
90f97d0436b2fe38575c5c617b83491a-png.jpg
1d483c2a728330c0717a7e7f09005402.png
11752e21993ef15c1386918ada53de1e.png

If anyone has constructive criticsm that could be given that would help me least make stuff better, I'd be happy to hear them. I use 3DS Max 2018 with a valve SMD Importer to get everything inside the program.

If theres any 3D Modelers in this community, I'd really appreciate advice and help.

ddæ

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
really good work, but you should look into taking stuff from the XOF and other MGSV models on the workshop and other models of equally high quality if you can, because god damn, the tnb quality of stuff is so low its actually visually sickening

Reactions: List

Toast Lord

Electron
Nebulae
really good work, but you should look into taking stuff from the XOF and other MGSV models on the workshop and other models of equally high quality if you can, because god damn, the tnb quality of stuff is so low its actually visually sickening

Yeah I don't doubt the lacak of quality with TnB, The most I plan to do with it is to make the """Unique"""" Bodygroups a standard for other models, but that would require a whole new system really.

Thanks for the pointer, I'll take a look for stuff there.

Toast Lord

Electron
Nebulae
Well, I'm back with a bit of new stuff I've been tinkering stuff together. Be it clothing and I'm working on fitting a familiar piece of armor to those who've played the original Half-Life title; Or Opposing Force

Now what I'm about to show, alot of the clothing is what we all come to know on Nebulous or just a standard on some Half Life 2 RP Servers. Though some fixes I've performed are slightly new, give or take what you think. The first up is related to some mishap with the female model using the female beta trousers with the retain female citizen torso.
WFRamDU.jpg

And after a couple minutes of tweaking around and making sure it looked properly adorned by the female body:
bVNE5pg.jpg

However a major bug that I've encountered with models related to the hl2 beta clothing; is when the body bends around, the damn pants don't properly conform to the torso, revealing an empty void that disconnects the body from the legs like its some sort of Darth Maul bootleg;
KN9j1gC.jpg

MvKJynr.jpg

Though after consulting a few people for help, I was told that I would have to re weight the bones, and such was the result (I didin't have a picture of the female model. Shit.):
c481ksx.jpg

Well..Kind of. You can still clearly see there is some sort of disconnect BUT, compared to the former picture of the male picture, the model atleast conforms more to the upper body, so crouching will least look decent, rather than being a floating torso like that one boss from Star Wars Dark Forces 2. Most likely i'd have to raise the edge of the pants up more and have it expand slightly more outward. I've also been using the Enhanced Citizen skeleton on my prototype models; Hence the reason why the picture above looks more flexible.

Your standard Half-Life 2 beta torso clothing:
LPdZ60A.jpg

n6zJGev.jpg

Refugee coats that some of us in the outlands know and love, now combined with other bodygroups. (Available in open and closed.)
yt2MSVS.jpg

XcOdObd.jpg

Citizen Beta pants, now fixed and less 'detatched' from the rest of the body.
psPCVGE.jpg

Ko4NkNU.jpg

'Rebel Cop' Pants, found the idea from the original TnB pack when it was only 3 different versions of the model. Basically I figured some people would get a hold of combine goodies, and probably make their own alterations of sorts.
iykZ2Ux.jpg

Basically misc shit I have of stuff in action or things I'm just working on for giggles.

Been working on sort of a slapped on H.E.C.U Vest, known as the Power Combat Vest in the Opposing Force. I have two versions really, that I was wondering of which looked best, one that had the neck piece OFF the vest:
95L0Jah.png

And one with the neck piece:
qgljv8a.png

Rebel cop concept I just tacked together with different bodygroups.
m5sGeRD.jpg

Female Rebel Cop pants in test with animations. Not sure what to think, they seem somewhat bendy to me.
sAvir9x.jpg
3ItT798.jpg

Testing out the new weighting of the female beta shirt since it was proving to have issues earlier.
xbFo41H.jpg

I don't know why I made this.
GjiRnhu.jpg

Pretty much all I have to share. Most likely not going to be used but if people ever want to tinker with it, hit me up I guess.

Reactions: List