Toonami turned 21

Andrew

Atom
Nebulae
2000px-Toonami_logo.svg.png

Toonami is one of the hallmarks of the reason anime is where it is today, with the block being used as a springboard for things like Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball Z, Cowboy Bebop, One Piece, and several other smash 90's anime, all of which sparked the current trend of exporting the product globally, changing the world forever for the worse by introducing two generations so far to things like extremely long-running animated TV shows like Naruto, Dragon Ball, and Bleach.

Today (specifically yesterday, march 17th) the program turned 21. Going from a block on daytime Cartoon Network to a weekly midnight block aimed at a more mature audience, I'd say it definitely shaped the way I used to watch TV - catching DBZ after school was prime-time back in the good old days, before everyone fucked up what we had on this earth and we're all screaming towards an inevitable fireball of death as the universe collapses around us

also it's the reason DBZ is a thing pretty much

there's probably a few l0sers here who don't watch TV but I was happy to wake up to this news today

Andrew

Atom
Nebulae
Really the reason I wanted to post this thread was because Toonami's doing something with its block tonight as celebration - they're airing something unlisted as a surprise, and nobody knows what it is yet - and just in a few weeks, they've made room on their schedule for something on April 1st, which is usually adult swim's day to fuck around with their own schedules and air whatever they want

Toonami's something I came back to in 2013, and was blown away at the time at its offerings - the then-still-promising Sword Art Online, with teasers being tossed left and right for things way down the line, the up-and-coming Space Dandy seemed so far-off at the time. There's always been a bit of a thing with adult swim in general to tease things months ahead of time, and Toonami decided to keep it - the entire year seemed to last forever, eventually being topped by spending the entire december airing movies, during which I managed to catch Akira.

To this day it still airs rather out-there shows I'd recommend, with everything being led by Dragon Ball reruns/Super. It's definitely an interesting piece of history if anyone decides to delve into it, really using cartoon network/adult swim's open-ended freedom of things to turn into a platform for things like music videos or short OVA's, moreso than [as] usually airs.

Postal

Molecule
Nebulae
2000px-Toonami_logo.svg.png

Toonami is one of the hallmarks of the reason anime is where it is today, with the block being used as a springboard for things like Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball Z, Cowboy Bebop, One Piece, and several other smash 90's anime, all of which sparked the current trend of exporting the product globally, changing the world forever for the worse by introducing two generations so far to things like extremely long-running animated TV shows like Naruto, Dragon Ball, and Bleach.

Today (specifically yesterday, march 17th) the program turned 21. Going from a block on daytime Cartoon Network to a weekly midnight block aimed at a more mature audience, I'd say it definitely shaped the way I used to watch TV - catching DBZ after school was prime-time back in the good old days, before everyone fucked up what we had on this earth and we're all screaming towards an inevitable fireball of death as the universe collapses around us

also it's the reason DBZ is a thing pretty much

there's probably a few l0sers here who don't watch TV but I was happy to wake up to this news today

back in the good old days?
fuck me it has only been 21 years