Serious Tortilla's Computer Guide for the curious people.

Nebulae
Sup, I can confidently say I know stuff about computers to inform people that would like to know more.
Just don't ask me about water cooling, cause I don't like it.

Golden rules of PCs.
  • Don't ever buy laptops, or from premade companies. - they're businesses and typically spend more money on parts that are irrelevant or won't be used.
  • Don't be afraid or intimidated about building a PC. They're easy to learn.
  • Research anything you don't know.
  • Always spend more money on CPU, GPU, Motherboard, Storage, RAM, and PSU. In that order.
  • Don't forget about taxes for when purchasing your PC.
  • Plan on upgrade paths in the future (AM4 - Ryzen 5 to Ryzen 7)
  • Always use PCPartPicker.
  • Don't ever buy Windows 10 from Amazon, just buy USB keys from eBay or keys from G2A or Kinguin. This is the cheapest, legal way. You can also pirate a copy, but you didn't hear that from me. ( I have a 9$ Windows 10 USB key from eBay)
General knowledge.
Your CPU is the brain of the PC and is responsible for handling most tasks in the PC. You don't want to be cheap on this, unless it's for a really good reason.
When you buy a CPU buy the most expensive, reasonable, and one you'll actually utilize. (Don't buy a 400$ processor when you'll only use a 200$ processor's features and assets.)

In terms of what you need to know.
The CPU belongs to a socket. I.E (Ryzen chips = AM4) and that socket belongs to that same socket of motherboards.

All unlocked CPUs can be overclocked and I never suggest to buy a locked chip. Unless you're completely against overclocking for life.

The motherboard is the bones of your computer and provides an overall structure and upgrade path that you'll be available to. Also, motherboards have form factor, sockets, chipsets, memory types, Max memory, and other features.
  • Form factor - ATX and mATX are the main ones, and you'll most likely want to buy ATX for sake of compatibility, unless you want a really small computer —or large computer— If that's the case there are other form factor which vary in price based on features and size typically. (miniITX, EATX, microATX)
  • Sockets are the family your CPU belongs to and they have to match the motherboards socket.
  • Chipsets are typically the features related to the motherboards. For AM4, there's A320, B350, and X370. A320 is the super limited, budget motherboard (don't buy these.) B350 is the consumer version at normal prices with a normal amount of features. (Usually, Ethernet, I/O Shields, 4-6 SATA ports, 4 memory slots) X370 is the enthusiast boards and usually contain things like better overclocking, RGB, better BIOS', more support and compatibility, etc.
  • Memory types are what type of memory your motherboards accept from RAM type, generally there's only DDR3 and DDR4.
  • Memory speed is what frequency your motherboard operates at, it can be anything from 1033-3200+ for DDR3 and 2133-4000+ for DDR4.
  • Motherboards contain other features like Ethernet, wireless, onboard sounds cards, USB 3.0/3.1 ports, heatsinks, RGB headers, fan headers, M.2 slots or extra PCIE slots.
Buy a motherboard that has all the features you need and want for the most feasible price.

The GPU is typically the muscles of the PC and can make processes much more effective based on what you have.
Usually, just buy the best GPU in your budget because they all fit the same. Just don't buy founder editions or air blowback GPUs if you don't need them.
The GPU can be overclocked as well with processes and applications found on the internet

Your storage is your hard drive, or SSDs. You'll genuinely want one of each in 2017. For Hard drives I recommend 1-2TB of space and you won't ever need much more unless you're a media creator. SSD is a much faster process for storage retrieval and you'll usually want to put only things you want to run fast on this. (Gmod, OS, any source game, Your main games) Never buy below 120 GB of SSD as your OS generally takes up about 60 GBs or more. I recommend buying 240GB+. Usually, all hard drives are connected by SATA ports. SSDs can be connected in a few different ways. (PCIE, M.2, and SATA) They're much faster in that order of connection too, although there's mostly huge price differences for each one.

RAM is your Random Access Memory, and can be thought of as hands. In this comparison as hands can only hold two things, the more hands you have, the more things that can be used.

RAM is similar. It's the type of memory that can be used at random times, like when opening chrome. Typically the more RAM you have the more processes you can have and operate at once.

Most gamers won't need it use more than 16 gigs of RAM. I recommend 8-16. Unless, y'know you're running multiple virtual machine that house terabytes of media.
Overall, make sure your motherboard supports what frequency your ram is at our else it'll downgrade it to what it's compatible with and you'll waste money.

Your power supply is the energy pumped into your computer that powers your computer.
Generally the Golden rule is to only buy supplies with 80+ efficiency certifications, which means that the PSU guarantees about 80% of what is pumped into the PC to be utilized. Bronze, silver, gold, platinum, and diamond PSUs all have better effective percentages, and I use gold. Every power supply has a certain Max wattage, and you always want to have enough wattage and more so your CPU doesn't kill over mid game, this has happened to me when I was running 650W on a 750W.
From what I've experienced you'll want to utilize about 66% of your wattage in the PSU. So if you use 660 Watts, you'll want a 1000 watt PSU. If you use 350 Watts, you can do this (350*.66=581) so you'll want a 600 watt PSU. This also leaves you with some upgrade room if you want a better GPU in the future that typically draws more power in the long run.

The reason I didn't talk about the case in the buying order is because it varies, but a case on what you need, not what you want. Because you wore honestly don't even need cases for computers to run, they're vaguely just for aesthetics and ease of life set ups.

Now I'll show you a build I plan on buying before University and the mindset or style of thinking so that new people understand how they have to think as well.

What's my goal?: I want a PC that will last 4+ years over University and can stream, edit, play games at 120-144 FPS at 1080p at overclocked frequencies, and also aesthetically (RGB & matching color scheme) looks good so I can show others how much s fucking nerd I am.

What's my price range?: 1250$ before taxes. 1350$ after taxes.

What hardware do I have already that I can use?: 1TB HDD, 1000W Gold Semi-Modular PSU, Windows 10, and CM Hyper 212 CPU Cooler.

What parts do I need to achieve my goals?:
Ryzen 5 CPU - Best CPU for media creation and gaming on the same machine in this price range.
Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler - I already have, and I can use. Plus I can purchase a better CPU cooler in the future.
B350 motherboard - it supports everything I need.
16GB DDR4 3200 speed RAM - I know Ryzen preforms better with better ram, and ones that are using Samsung Blu dies on the RAM DIMMs.
240gb SSD and 1TB HDD - I have the HDD and can afford to spend more on an SSD.
1000W PSU - I already have this.
GTX 1070+ or AMD RX Vega if that is good when it comes out.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($227.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX X370-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($165.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($500.00)
Case: Deepcool - DUKASE V2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($48.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Raidmax - 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Total: $1222.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-10 17:32 EDT-0400

GTX 1070 is from eBay, and is local pickup just a city over.

If you want to do your own research feel free to ask any questions here, I most likely can awnser them.

If you want some YouTube channels or reddits to research with.
Use: reddit.com/r/buildapc

For YouTubers use,

Paul's Hardware
BitWit
JayZTwoCents
I don't really trust most of what LinusTechTips' channel says because most of the stuff he covers is either enthusiast, news, or unrealistic advice. Nor do I personally believe he cares about his vast audiences like the other guys do.

Last edited:
Reactions: List
Nebulae
I use a gaming laptop and it's good :(

Though I built it and it has pretty good parts
I guess I should change it to never buy premades, laptops or desktops. I've seen some guys with some hardcore laptops, but main concerns with keeping a laptop is withholding the thermals from holding back your preformance.

Khiel

Molecule
Nebulae
  • Always spend more money on CPU, GPU, Motherboard, Storage, RAM, and PSU. In that order.

don't cheap out on your PSU
whyever anybody wants a high quality MOBO / RAM over a high quality PSU is beyond me
the PSU has various important things
  • next to the GPU, it makes the most noise, getting a cheap one makes your PC louder
  • it's the only part of your PC that could burn / explode if you cheap out
  • getting a high quality one saves you in the long run
  • don't need a high quality motherboard, just one with everything you need and then some futureproofing, if it's over £150 i tend to avoid purchases for MOBOs, as all i need is a functioning PCI-E 16x lane and the socket for whatever CPU I have
  • RAM does not need to be 'high quality', anything DDR3+ is suitable for running most games
My specs:
AMD 7650K (soon to be upgraded)
MSI GTX 1060
SAMSUNG 250GB SSD, running gmod off of it

Nebulae

whyever anybody wants a high quality MOBO / RAM over a high quality PSU is beyond me
  • next to the GPU, it makes the most noise, getting a cheap one makes your PC louder
  • don't need a high quality motherboard, just one with everything you need and then some futureproofing, if it's over £150 i tend to avoid purchases for MOBOs, as all i need is a functioning PCI-E 16x lane and the socket for whatever CPU I have
  • RAM does not need to be 'high quality', anything DDR3+ is suitable for running most games
My specs:
MSI GTX 1060

I've used many PSUs (4-5) when building not only my 2-3 PCs over the years, but others' computer's and usually any PSU with an 80+ Bronze Certification has nothing wrong with it. The first part that will actually 'die' is the fan, and that's because the motor runs out after 'x' amount of rotations over the years. You can defintely go cheap on a PSU and still get a reliable one. Much like this one, that is cheaper than RAM usually.

I guess I should've just said early on it's all relative to what you want/need.

You want to spend more money on your CPU usually rather than your GPU is because the CPU doesn't have that many upgrade paths as the GPU does in the long run. You can upgrade and update your GPU at any moment in any PC build as long as your CPU doesn't bottleneck it, you have the wattage, and your wallet can breathe.

I agree, the motherboard doesn't have to be that good, get what you absolutely need and if you have extra cash in your build you can purchase it other places. Although, generally if you buy a cheap motherboard you'll most likely run into a lot of problems with setting up or overclocking profeciently, this is standard with cheap motherboards. The example I used above was that the want/need was to have a PC that looked good and only operated what the example needed.

RAM never needs to be high quality for gaming, correct. Although for running system builds it varies. For example, any PC that runs a Ryzen CPU runs a number more proficient with 3200 speed ram, and takes DDR4. Some newer architecture's don't allow you to run DDR3 because the motherboard doesn't accept DDR3. Usually anything that is DDR3 1600 for DDR3 mobo's and DDR4 2400 for DDR4 mobo's is the standard for gaming and is pretty much the 'sweet spot' of RAM. Like I said in the OP, most of the PC parts can vary based on what you want or need, especially from the standard.

If it helps I can post a different perspective from intel for about a 600$ price range, rather than a 1250$ more enthusiast build, especially since that relates to some of the people who would come here.

Last edited:
Nebulae
Here's a 600$ Price point for people in this range. Hopefully to get a different perspective.

CPU: Intel - Core i3-7100 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor ($109.59 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B250M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($67.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($53.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($39.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING Video Card ($264.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master - N200 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($27.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $591.51
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-12 09:04 EDT-0400

Last edited:

Redhunter

On and Off UP Lead
B A N N E D
Nebulae

My specs:
MSI GTX 1060

I'm with this guy.

I've had 4 PSU's in the last year because I decided to be a cheap bastard and not buy anything powerful. One day I was playing the Metro 2033 Redux when all of a sudden, KABOOM. My Power Supply literally explodes with sparks and a range of juices I don't want to talk about. This wasn't a major issue as I went out and bought myself another power supply but it turns out that my last one crashed my motherboard as well which left me in the dark for a good 3 weeks while I tried to fix the problem. Now I'm stuck with a non-activated windows and a whole bunch of lost data because I decided to be a cheap git and not buy a good PSU.

Nebulae
I'm with this guy.

I've had 4 PSU's in the last year because I decided to be a cheap bastard and not buy anything powerful. One day I was playing the Metro 2033 Redux when all of a sudden, KABOOM. My Power Supply literally explodes with sparks and a range of juices I don't want to talk about. This wasn't a major issue as I went out and bought myself another power supply but it turns out that my last one crashed my motherboard as well which left me in the dark for a good 3 weeks while I tried to fix the problem. Now I'm stuck with a non-activated windows and a whole bunch of lost data because I decided to be a cheap git and not buy a good PSU.
Which one(s) was it?
I'm kind of imaging something like this

The main reasons a PSU would explode is one of three reasons.
  • You bought a cheap PSU and don't plug your PC into a surge protector.
  • You bought a cheap PSU from a company that's not new or reputable.
  • You bought a PSU that was rated for your machine's wattage. But then over time your PSU's effective wattage went down, and your PC's effective power wattage draw went up. This is by far the most common. People don't compensate for how much power that will degrade from the PSU over use, or the power draw as the PC get's older and less proficient.
That's why I always say buy a PSU that uses 33% more than your wattage, and this is because it provides an upgrade path if you get a better GPU, but if you have the machine in the long run, then your PSU will be okay for the long run and have some breathing space.

The best thing I can say is research into anything you put into your PC. On the machine I plan to build I've been researching for about 5-6 months now.

Last edited:

constantdisplay

nokia talk 2002
Nebulae
Just don't ask me about water cooling, cause I don't like it.
lol

• Don't ever buy laptops, or from premade companies. - they're businesses and typically spend more money on parts that are irrelevant or won't be used.
Laptops are for portability rather than parts imo, and premades are for people who don't want to put together a pc (lack of time, nervous about breaking shizzle, etc) so I wouldn't rule them out completely, however if you were going to buy a premade go with a reputable company.

gpu over cpu
psu over motherboard, ram, storage (all ryzen motherboards can overclock, only premium x motherboards can overclock with intel cpu's - and overclocking is basically the only big feature worth spending money on motherboard-wise imo)

• Don't ever buy Windows 10 from Amazon, just buy USB keys from eBay or keys from G2A or Kinguin. This is the cheapest, legal way. You can also pirate a copy, but you didn't hear that from me. ( I have a 9$ Windows 10 USB key from eBay)

I swear Kinguin keys are pirated/stolen, eh for g2a

I don't really trust most of what LinusTechTips' channel says because most of the stuff he covers is either enthusiast, news, or unrealistic advice. Nor do I personally believe he cares about his vast audiences like the other guys do.

> i9 video review

Reactions: List
Nebulae
lol

Laptops are for portability rather than parts imo, and premades are for people who don't want to put together a pc (lack of time, nervous about breaking shizzle, etc) so I wouldn't rule them out completely, however if you were going to buy a premade go with a reputable company.

gpu over cpu
psu over motherboard, ram, storage (all ryzen motherboards can overclock, only premium x motherboards can overclock with intel cpu's - and overclocking is basically the only big feature worth spending money on motherboard-wise imo)

I swear Kinguin keys are pirated/stolen, eh for g2a

> i9 video review
I'm sure they are, but I feel buying from eBay is much better imo. It's more so from the other shit on his channel, it just doesn't seem like authentic advice.

Nebulae
bullshit
businesses that sell pre made computers buy hardware in bulk so they are cheaper than building it by yourself
Are you sure about that?
These companies only care about money and what they do is rip off people who don't want to build PCs. A great example is CyberPowerPC, IBuyPower, Alienware.
You're correct about them buying hardware in bulk and it is cheaper, for them. They also buy parts that are essentially more pricey and are somewhat irellevant.

Here's a specific one.
https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Battlebox-2017-Essential
The specs are

i5-7400
120mm liquid cooler
Msi z270-a pro
8gb DDR4 2400 mhz ram
1060 6gb
120gb WD green SSD, and 2tb HDD.
600w PSU
A nice looking case.
For a total of 949.
But wait, they still make you pay shipping which is 75$ for the worst shipping. Making it a total of 1024.

The redundant parts are putting a liquid cooler on a CPU that's 3GHz and not even overclockable. The GPU is good for the price, but the CPU is absolutely horrid. It's okay though they give you the option to buy better CPUs, for... 200$ more.

Here's the exact same build, I used the customize feature to pick the NZXT S340 case, that way they aren't using custom cases to price gouge your wallet.

Here's the exact same build, exact same silicon/hardware and everything.
Keep in mind this is even with all the GPU prices being inflated from mining and it's still cheaper, versus where these companies buy each one for about <200$. With s/h and taxes included.

CPU: Intel - Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($175.28 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H80i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($82.50 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI - Z270-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($109.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Crucial - 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($62.95 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Green 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($75.01 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Storage: Hitachi - Ultrastar 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.38 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($328.10 @ PCM)
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1006.09
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-13 08:23 EDT-0400

And these aren't the cheapest prices for what you could buy. I can find better hardware for cheaper.

Here.

CPU: Intel - Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.89 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Flare X 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston - A400 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba - 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($62.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB ARMOR OCV1 Video Card ($323.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT - S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - BQ 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($55.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1022.49
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-13 08:34 EDT-0400

Last edited:

constantdisplay

nokia talk 2002
Nebulae
Are you sure about that?
These companies only care about money and what they do is rip off people who don't want to build PCs. A great example is CyberPowerPC, IBuyPower, Alienware.
You're correct about them buying hardware in bulk and it is cheaper, for them. They also buy parts that are essentially more pricey and are somewhat irellevant.

Here's a specific one.
https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Battlebox-2017-Essential
The specs are

i5-7400
120mm liquid cooler
Msi z270-a pro
8gb DDR4 2400 mhz ram
1060 6gb
120gb WD green SSD, and 2tb HDD.
600w PSU
A nice looking case.
For a total of 949.
But wait, they still make you pay shipping which is 75$ for the worst shipping. Making it a total of 1024.

The redundant parts are putting a liquid cooler on a CPU that's 3GHz and not even overclockable. The GPU is good for the price, but the CPU is absolutely horrid. It's okay though they give you the option to buy better CPUs, for... 200$ more.

Here's the exact same build, I used the customize feature to pick the NZXT S340 case, that way they aren't using custom cases to price gouge your wallet.

Here's the exact same build, exact same silicon/hardware and everything.
Keep in mind this is even with all the GPU prices being inflated from mining and it's still cheaper, versus where these companies buy each one for about <200$. With s/h and taxes included.

CPU: Intel - Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($175.28 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H80i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($82.50 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial - 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($62.95 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Green 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($75.01 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Storage: Hitachi - Ultrastar 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.38 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($328.10 @ PCM)
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1006.09
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-13 08:23 EDT-0400

And these aren't the cheapest prices for what you could buy. I can find better hardware for cheaper.

Here.

CPU: Intel - Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.89 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Flare X 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston - A400 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba - 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($62.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB ARMOR OCV1 Video Card ($323.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT - S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - BQ 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($55.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1022.49
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-13 08:34 EDT-0400

so basically you can build the same for 20 quid less?
you are paying 20 quid extra for the fact that it is already built.

and a 120mm aio on a non overclockable chip isn't a big deal, I've seen deepcool aio's for like 50 quid on pc parts picker (and the cpu isn't horrendous lmao its a 7600k at 3ghz)

Nebulae
so basically you can build the same for 20 quid less?
you are paying 20 quid extra for the fact that it is already built.

and a 120mm aio on a non overclockable chip isn't a big deal, I've seen deepcool aio's for like 50 quid on pc parts picker (and the cpu isn't horrendous lmao its a 7600k at 3ghz)
The parts aren't horrible, but the parts for the pricing is horrid. The fact that I can get all these non-oem parts for cheaper is not genuine from the company. They're charging 1k for a PC with a 7400. A CPU that can't be overclocked. I can buy a 7600k a CPU that's 20% better in benchmarks and able to be OCd is just absolutely upsetting and it's still cheaper than there's. This is why I say to never buy a premade, I understand why people that don't want to build would buy them, but for me it's just a kick in this face because anyone can learn how to build a PC if they take the time to learn.

Nebulae
so you pay $18 less for the privilege of spending time building your own PC.. and if it wasn't for shipping, the premade PC would be cheaper?

lol stop talking
My point is you waste money on pre built ones because they put in parts that aren't worth it for the price point. These prebuilds are typically using the marketing scheme of doing everything for you, and while it's convenient and reliable, it comes at a price which I don't think is worth it.

The prebuilt here has an i5 7400 and a 1060 6gb for 1k. Where I can get a 7600k and 1060 6gb for a bit less by custom building it. That's what I'm pointing out.
look no offense @Tortilla Jackson ツ but to make a guide on something you've got to actually be knowledgeable in the field
Tell me anything you want, I'm open-minded. If there's anything I don't know, or something I'm missing just say it.

Goatson

Guardian
Nebulae
Oy vey I will learn you the true greedy way to save money on your PC
Let us begin
PSU, better to shell out a lot of money on it rather than buy multiple cheap ones and having to replace them and risk your other parts going with it
RAM, you really don't need more than 8GB unless you're like me and like having two games open at the same time aswell as internet and etc
CPU, get the best you can afford, seriously. It'll be worth it in the long run.
GPU, idfk man I'm not good with GPUs I just use my good ol' AMD Sapphire and it works GUCCI and was p cheap
Motherboard, doesn't need to be so expensive as long as it works with all your parts and bla bla bla
Storage, you can make it far with just a HD, but SSD is pgood if you can spend the money.
Case, get something large so you can fit everything in and have a lot of room for air flow. Built in fans are a plus.
Oh and when you're building, make sure you do your wiring properly. Seriously I can't stress that enough, make it compact to allow airflow. Saves your parts from overheating and dust gathering.

Khiel

Molecule
Nebulae
CPU, get the best you can afford, seriously. It'll be worth it in the long run.
especially if you're planning on running GMOD at 60+ FPS, a good lad advised me on getting a powerful CPU, especially single core, as gmod doesn't play nice multicore
getting something with 6, 8+ cores if you want to run gmod isn't going to be good, get something that's high quality and decent clock speed at 4 cores if you can't buy a nice one
might write my own guide on how to build the perfect gmod machine