Serious Usefulness of Lua coding/scripting

InkPanda

Quark
Nebulae
I have an aspiration to get involved in programming and developing my own addons for Garry's Mod, possibly spanning as far as to get involved in a server or two by using Lua.

I've also found out that scripting other games or programs is equally possible with Lua, as it's an ever-expanding base, being object-oriented and all, as comparable to Java or C++.
However, what I'm not sure about is if establishing skills in it would last in the long-run. I worry that the script will die out, and leave me with a set of skills that can't be applied anywhere anymore.

Thoughts on this? Is it worth learning and getting experienced with?

constantdisplay

nokia talk 2002
Nebulae
I have an aspiration to get involved in programming and developing my own addons for Garry's Mod, possibly spanning as far as to get involved in a server or two by using Lua.

I've also found out that scripting other games or programs is equally possible with Lua, as it's an ever-expanding base, being object-oriented and all, as comparable to Java or C++.
However, what I'm not sure about is if establishing skills in it would last in the long-run. I worry that the script will die out, and leave me with a set of skills that can't be applied anywhere anymore.

Thoughts on this? Is it worth learning and getting experienced with?
tbh if you learn one programming language fully, it makes it easier to learn another one in the future.
idk if lua would be a good first language to learn tho I swear it's alot more game specific compared to other coding languages

Koch

Time to dance
Nebulae
Lua is definitely not going to die out any time soon, lots of applications are starting to use it. If you'd like to learn skills useful for a technology-based job, it all depends on what you want to do with your life. Want to work with Microsoft servers and products? Learn PowerShell. Would you like to work with Linux? Learn Python and Bash. The aforementioned are for scripting.

For programming, it's kind of the same deal. What do you want to do with your life - be a programmer? I'd look at C#.NET/Java for the enterprise kinda stuff, although Java is getting popular for new products too. Golang is a language that's getting fairly popular, and Python is great nevertheless.

For scripting, Lua is an OK introduction because it's still in use a lot of places, and you can do neat stuff with it. Entirely up to you, though.

Reactions: List

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
Depends what you want to be doing long-term.

Lua is a scripting language, it will teach you the concepts of coding in a simplified way but the level of complexity is nowhere close to a programming language such as C++ which can be used to create anything.

Nebulae
I think @Zombine needs to add input: P
But for me, I used Python as programming in my year 11 GCSEs and can I say, for beginners python a no-no, there are loads of complex things you had to learn on the first day (That might be just me but I'm sure a couple people could agree, if not then I'm stoopid : P )((Also this is my opinion)) I barely scratched a C.

Never personally used LUA so can someone gimme a brief overlook on what it is (do not just say "scripting, lel" pls I'm interested in this actually:_: ) if not that's fine I don't need help sniff

(edit: ) NNNGH EMOJIS OH GOD. REMOVED EM

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
GMod is good for beginners to learn the basics and methods of development which is arguably more important that the language itself; it's what you'll need to learn a more complex language.

If you're looking to develop software or games it's worth learning Lua as many games are using it for scripting and that let's you get quick results from your code rather than very slow iteration with more advanced languages.

Whatever you do though, don't make the mistake of learning from Clockwork because it's even more simplified and you'll struggle to move away from it.
[doublepost=1495977934][/doublepost]tl;dr Lua isn't difficult at all to learn.

InkPanda

Quark
Nebulae
GMod is good for beginners to learn the basics and methods of development which is arguably more important that the language itself; it's what you'll need to learn a more complex language.
That's probably what I'll go for.
Lua seems like a non-threatening way to begin to learn skills in development, and if I get proficient, I'll likely move on to other languages using prior knowledge from Lua. I'm not sure what I'd make, but the foundations would be there.