Usenet - 40+ y/o Boomer tech that's still somehow relevant. For streaming!

hbag

bitchmade
Nebulae
If you were around in the 80s, first of all, what the fuck are you doing on a Gmod RP server? Don't you have a mortgage to pay off? Secondly, you probably remember Usenet. That huge WWW precursor that was originally used for talking to people. The original forum.

But, of course, as with every new technology, some nerds figured out how to encode binaries as text files and then upload them onto Usenet, meaning anyone could download them. This shit still goes on today.

Recently, I was trying out Sonarr and Radarr alongside Plex. It's pretty fucking good. Sonarr/Radarr use my Usenet indexers to search for shows that I tell it to (with permission, of course. No piracy here), and once it finds them, tells my Usenet binary downloader to grab that shit. After it's done, it sends the files to my Plex server, and I can then stream them from wherever the fuck I want. You can even invite friends to your server, and they don't have to be on your LAN.

This entire post reads like a fucking ad, but it's genuinely really cool. There's obviously still some middle-aged nerds that still use Usenet for its intended purpose, but those communities tend to be invite-only due to the sheer amount of bots dominating 99% of the network.

Mute

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
Hi gabe how is passover going because mine is going good
hey jb if it helps if i was in egypt i wouldnt have let the jews be slaves and them there wouldnt be a passover cause everyone would live tohether and be equal if that helps love mute

jb

Atom
B A N N E D
Nebulae
hey jb if it helps if i was in egypt i wouldnt have let the jews be slaves and them there wouldnt be a passover cause everyone would live tohether and be equal if that helps love mute
Thanks mute that means alot

Reactions: List

Mute

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
Thanks mute that means alot
no problem im sorry i couldnt help i was born in 2003 not ~1446 BCE otherwise i wouldve done something

echs dee

Atom
Nebulae
whos mike pinello and why does chronos want to kick him in the ribs
i want to kick him in the ribs too