Usenet - 40+ y/o Boomer tech that's still somehow relevant. For streaming!

comradic

Molecule
Nebulae
fucksmate.png

Reactions: List

Ricsow

professional retard
HL2 RP Administrator
Media Developer
Nebulae

Gabe

Molecule
Nebulae
Hi gabe how is passover going because mine is going good
it was nice my man, didn't really feel too much of it but I kept it Kosher for Passover. Had all the preparations and cleaned the house from Hametz. Now my mother is showing off all the bread she bought cause its over which is funny

Postal

Molecule
Nebulae
If you were around in the 80s, first of all, what the fuck are you doing on a Gmod RP server? Don't you have a mortgage to pay off? Secondly, you probably remember Usenet. That huge WWW precursor that was originally used for talking to people. The original forum.

But, of course, as with every new technology, some nerds figured out how to encode binaries as text files and then upload them onto Usenet, meaning anyone could download them. This shit still goes on today.

Recently, I was trying out Sonarr and Radarr alongside Plex. It's pretty fucking good. Sonarr/Radarr use my Usenet indexers to search for shows that I tell it to (with permission, of course. No piracy here), and once it finds them, tells my Usenet binary downloader to grab that shit. After it's done, it sends the files to my Plex server, and I can then stream them from wherever the fuck I want. You can even invite friends to your server, and they don't have to be on your LAN.

This entire post reads like a fucking ad, but it's genuinely really cool. There's obviously still some middle-aged nerds that still use Usenet for its intended purpose, but those communities tend to be invite-only due to the sheer amount of bots dominating 99% of the network.

another 80s boomer nostalgia-brain

Reactions: List