Valve has changed

Dr.Towers

Nucleus
Nebulae
Valve has changed, it's no longer about making games, turning mods into triple A productions, giving quality content to the playerbase. It's an endless series of crappy games greenlighted on the steam market by fake accounts and bots. Valve - and it's consuption of money - has become a well-oiled corporation.
Valve has changed, early access games with early access achivements and early access dlcs. Stock models and textures inside their engines to cut production costs and time. Zombie shooters, minecraft-like survivals, battle royals, poorly drawn visual novels and meme simulators. Everything is accepted and sold on Steam.
Valve has changed, the age of production has become the age of distribution. All in the name of averting catastrophe from the supposed failure of Episode 3. And he who controls the market...controls gaming.
Valve has changed...when the distribution is the only purpose, Valve becomes EA.

p.s. I wish I played MGS4

Reactions: List

Deleted member 3713

My dick way too small to have y’all on it.
Nebulae
I don't mind it, I even like half life on a cliffhanger anyway, more unique and entertaining.

Postino

Atom
Nebulae
What? Corporations' first priority is to make as much money as possible?

How... How could it be...

Hudson

Electron
Nebulae
Steam used to only have a few games on it, and it didn't really do much more than download them for you. It had a friends list and chat feature, but those didn't work most of the time.

I'm glad that they expanded the platform to be as social as it is, and that they brought in so many more games. It would have been a perfect world if they expanded their team to continue to work on games like the Half-Life series and do all those other things at the same time, but I'm glad we've atleast got what we have.

If Half-Life 3 was a few potential hours of singleplayer gameplay, I'd sacrifice that for everything else Steam became for sure. Valve are still doing new things here and there, and I suspect that it's just a matter of time before something significant gets published by them again. We just can't see it because they don't talk about what they're working on.

I can see where Valve are coming from. I was trying to make the HL2RP 2016 montage video like I did for 2017, but after counting up the screenshots that were contributed for the video I can see there's not enough content to work with, so the project has to change. It's times like this I wish that I didn't get peoples hopes up(if anyone was even hoping in the first place) about a video that I can't realise. This kind of thing happens with creative projects, so if Valve announced everything they were working on then people would be in a state of constant disappointment over all the things that didn't work out for whatever reason. I'm only trying to make montage videos that are a couple of minutes long, and even that's a challenge. I understand them not being open about their projects.

The alternative would be to just pump out those products anyway, and set deadlines to make sure they get done, but what a disastrous impact that would have on the level of quality of each game...

If I had unlimited power(like Valve), would I continue using my time to make montage videos, or would I overhaul the videohosting platform to bring it to where I think it should be?

I started on Googlevids which was a primitive video hosting service. Video resolution and framerates were low, and a lot of features that shaped popular content didn't exist(monetisation for one). YouTube came along so I put my videos on there too, and the YouTube service was gaining popularity and adding features, so things were looking good... But then Google took over YouTube and closed Googlevids, and then Google deleted my YouTube channel without telling me why, so I was back to square one being stuck with one service(Google) or nothing. What good is that if I'm banned for nothing?

If I had the power, I would make a service that didn't delete peoples accounts for no reason, maybe add some content from publishers, and fix all the other issues YouTube currently has(I could write a book). This is essentially what Valve did for the gaming industry, and if that meant them putting game development in the back seat then I understand it.

I ended up getting my YouTube account back, but I wasn't given a reason as to why it was deleted or reinstated. How am I supposed to enjoy using the service as a creative outlet if I'm wondering everyday if I've gotten banned again? It's a mess, and similarly gaming was a mess with EA killing publishers after squeezing them dry(bending original gameplay ideas out of shape to bring them to the mass market) so it took someone like Valve to help see gaming through that tough time by helping development teams monetise themselves by letting them self-publish on the internet by Steam handling the storefront and content delivery side of things, rather than have to stick to someone like EA to publish their discs but have to surrender their autonomy in the process.

Would I rather have a good video, or a good videohosting platform?

Would I rather have Half-Life 3, or a good gaming platform?

Last edited:
Reactions: List
D

Deleted member 1381

if valve ever got to the economic oh shit point they'd just just start making HL3 or make it top priority and boom, billions if not trillions

Dr Stalker

Neutrino
Nebulae
if valve ever got to the economic oh shit point they'd just just start making HL3 or make it top priority and boom, billions if not trillions

Honestly I doubt they'll ever make a HL3 just because I don't think they'll ever be able to make a game that lives up to the amount of hype and waiting they've put HL fans through. Plus I think they know this. Like how do you revive a franchise that for the most part hasn't been really touched since 2007.