Resolved Vortbeam doesn't affect mines

FieldersNL

heck
Nebulae
Priority: Medium

Description
Using vortbeam against mines doesn't do anything at all at this point, I tested several mines with numbers with each spawned in and me constantly beaming them to shit. But they don't do the usual effects anymore but reacts just like when a bullet hits the mines. NOTHING.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Spawn a hoppermine
2. Be a vort
3. Take out your vortbeam
4. Shoot your vortbeam to the mine
5. Situation reproduced, a new born sibbling.

Additional notes:

Reactions: List

Tinbe

Molecule
Nebulae
My guess is that default Gmod hoppermines function differently from the Helix scripts you place from your inventory. Might also be the case with the hoppermines that Shield Scanner players can drop down (or can they? Idk if that's still a thing for them)

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
My guess is that default Gmod hoppermines function differently from the Helix scripts you place from your inventory.

I'm fairly sure this is exactly the case - the Vortbeam was coded to interact with manually placed mines with a chance of turning them friendly, obviously with the intention of CityRp and cops deploying them directly.

I remember even at the time that NPC mines didn't get zapped because they're not scripts.

STUCK IN A CAKE

Molecule
Nebulae
I'm fairly sure this is exactly the case - the Vortbeam was coded to interact with manually placed mines with a chance of turning them friendly, obviously with the intention of CityRp and cops deploying them directly.

I remember even at the time that NPC mines didn't get zapped because they're not scripts.
Yeah I remember Zak made it so that when a Vort zaps a Player Placed mine, there was like a random dice-roll of outcomes: from doing nothing (with a large Spark Effect); Causing the mine to Detonate immediately; causing it to become 'malfunctioning' and redeploy (It sparks and attacks everything); or becoming disabled and dropping as a script.

I think the problem lies in using Entity mines as apposed to Script mines. But idk what the video was testing. Another thing - a mine that's already been hit (and 'resisted' the beam) cannot be hit again, It'll just continue to resist the effects of a vortbeam indefinitely. I've seen some vort players shoot at mines and do a "!help please delete I beamed it" - even though it's an intended feature to ensure vorts can't just clear entire minefields on their lonesome.

FieldersNL

heck
Nebulae
The entire forest was filled with ent mines then, if that's the case then. The purpose was to show beams didn't do anything anymore against mines while I wasn't aware it mattered what mine was spawned.

STUCK IN A CAKE

Molecule
Nebulae
The entire forest was filled with ent mines then, if that's the case then. The purpose was to show beams didn't do anything anymore against mines while I wasn't aware it mattered what mine was spawned.
Then I say, just make it so that either no Ent mines are used (they're literally free for combine to place, Plus gives a chance for Rebels to Intercept) - or make it so that Vort Beams can effect Ent Mines. Either solution work really.

Unless it turns out those Mines are actually scripts- then in that case. Fix it lol

Pyromaniac

rob-approved!
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
Then I say, just make it so that either no Ent mines are used (they're literally free for combine to place, Plus gives a chance for Rebels to Intercept) - or make it so that Vort Beams can effect Ent Mines. Either solution work really.

Unless it turns out those Mines are actually scripts- then in that case. Fix it lol
Tested with freespy, placed 10 Combine mine scripts, acquired from the OTA vendor, as OTA. Then Freespy with his vort beamed each of the mines once. Either whatever RNG gods exist didn't favour him, or the script is somehow currently non-functional as none of the mines showed signs of conversion or other changes.

That said, outright removering every mine a vort beam hits is a bad idea. I recommend any staff member needing to decide such simply does it as the automated system should, /roll, on a certain percentage (likely favouring doing nothing ex. 40/60) the mine converts or becomes non-functional. (In the example 40% chance to convert/non-functional, 60% chance to do nothing). Of-course only allowing the roll once.

Tinbe

Molecule
Nebulae
I can't find the original post because the old HL2RP subforum(s) were archived, but I still have a screencap handy from Zak explaining how he coded the beam-mine interaction.
20230429_035531.jpg

I don't know whether the code has become outdated since then, but with so many "% chance to do X or Y or Z" variables thrown around, it could just be that the chance mines do anything are abysmally low. I am inclined to believe otherwise, since I know for a fact hopper mines were very often hopping up when beamed back in C24.

Pyromaniac

rob-approved!
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
I can't find the original post because the old HL2RP subforum(s) were archived, but I still have a screencap handy from Zak explaining how he coded the beam-mine interaction.
20230429_035531.jpg

I don't know whether the code has become outdated since then, but with so many "% chance to do X or Y or Z" variables thrown around, it could just be that the chance mines do anything are abysmally low. I am inclined to believe otherwise, since I know for a fact hopper mines were very often hopping up when beamed back in C24.
Reading this, the script's non-functional purely on the basis of no sparks being emitted.
I remember it was working during Apoc, wonder what changed then.

E: Furthermore, if there's an equal chance of it just lunging then that is also evidence since out of 10 mines, none of them signified ANY effects including jumping, deactivating or switching sides.

FieldersNL

heck
Nebulae
Reading this, the script's non-functional purely on the basis of no sparks being emitted.
I remember it was working during Apoc, wonder what changed then.

E: Furthermore, if there's an equal chance of it just lunging then that is also evidence since out of 10 mines, none of them signified ANY effects including jumping, deactivating or switching sides.
I remember the effects worked just fine in Odessa and the Metro, since then the effects have gone absent

STUCK IN A CAKE

Molecule
Nebulae
Yeah like others mentioned, it was working for a long time. Now it's suddenly stopped working. Has there been any changes to how vortbeams work recently?

Numbers

ok
Nebulae
thing is, i spawned the mine from our code, not hl2's, to see how it reacted to the vortbeam

it consistently did nothing

Tinbe

Molecule
Nebulae
There was the April update in the changelog that did some changes to the SWEP. Maybe something there inadvertedly changed the beam behavior with hoppermines?
Vortigaunts
- Vortbeam will no longer go through walls
- Ground pound now requires holding right click, releasing early will stop the attack
- Vortbeam will no longer damage the attacker
I'm not sure if that's the correlation, however. April was around the time C24, and I remember beams and hoppermines behaving as they normally did back then, so... no clue.