Was SVN an important thing for Gmod?

Hudson

Electron
Nebulae
#Edit:
I've written an article on the subject, but feel free to contribute to the thread still.

The original post:
As I understand it, downloading content (and keeping server content updated) could be awkward before the Steam Workshop was implemented.

I remember SVN having some utility (used for GMod Tower I believe), but I'm not sure why it was used. I'd love to write something about it.

Does anyone know what the benefits of using SVN were, and if it was popular, and when it fell out of use? I want to assume that the Workshop made it redundant in late 2012, but I'm not sure if that's the case.

I want to tag a couple of the original gangsters for this. @alex @Powley

Last edited:
Reactions: List

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
SVN was used for big addons like PHX before it was added into the game itself, only major servers used it for their content but it quickly fell behind the times and was a real burden to use anyway

Northgate

:D
HL2 RP Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
As I understand it, downloading content (and keeping server content updated) could be awkward before the Steam Workshop was implemented.

I remember SVN having some utility (used for GMod Tower I believe), but I'm not sure why it was used. I'd love to write something about it.

Does anyone know what the benefits of using SVN were, and if it was popular, and when it fell out of use? I want to assume that the Workshop made it redundant in late 2012, but I'm not sure if that's the case.

I want to tag a couple of the original gangsters for this. @alex @Powley

Good lord, that brings me back.

SVN was that turtle downloader, right? Goodness, those were old times. I used it back in "the days" (2010s?), I remember using it to play Gmod Tower. I don't recall doing much more than that with it, to be honest.