What about HL2 caused people to create a roleplay about it?

Darth

Neutrino
Nebulae
So, after playing the first few chapters of Half-Life 2 again, a thought occurred to me. Why exactly did so many people want to roleplay in this universe? The first few chapters of Half life 2 are dripping with atmosphere, consisting of breakneck speed shootouts and brief moments of peace through puzzles. HL2 is very good at show don't tell. We see firsthand the amount of control the combine have over the planet and how oppressive and awful the combine is. We immediately sympathize with the citizens and do everything in our power to save the day.

Something I also noticed is how in the first major sequence, when you're officially declared an anti-citizen and you're on the run, the coordination of Civil Protection. They often flank, corner, surround you and its up to your own skills with your gun, crowbar, and the surrounding environment as well as knowing when to run to keep yourself alive. Its a good, fun game but I ask you.

Why do you think that so many people enjoy HL2 roleplay and how did it appeal to you?

Reactions: List

rang

aussie turk
Nebulae
Back when we had OpenAura and Clockwork did not exist, most servers had to get a pre-coded schema - just like now, where you buy Phase Four, or HL2RP, etc. OpenAura HL2RP was available so easily.

I'd think that the reason why HL2RP was coded first because both games were in the source engine, maps for it were available, and it was a pre-made universe that you could just code in without using your imagination. It was easier than coding other universes because it involved less time, less imagination and less work-other-than-coding (mapping etc)

Most of the GMOD playerbase knew what Half Life 2 was anyway, and when the schema came out, a lot of people adapted it and went for it. It just stuck that way, still is.

Gr4Ss

Proton
Nebulae
Back when we had OpenAura and Clockwork did not exist, most servers had to get a pre-coded schema - just like now, where you buy Phase Four, or HL2RP, etc. OpenAura HL2RP was available so easily.

I'd think that the reason why HL2RP was coded first because both games were in the source engine, maps for it were available, and it was a pre-made universe that you could just code in without using your imagination. It was easier than coding other universes because it involved less time, less imagination and less work-other-than-coding (mapping etc)

Most of the GMOD playerbase knew what Half Life 2 was anyway, and when the schema came out, a lot of people adapted it and went for it. It just stuck that way, still is.
HL2RP goes back much further than OA though. TnB did HL2RP before Prototype existed. I think it is mostly a combination of people knowing it and the needed assets being readily available. Got to keep in mind all of this goes back to pre-workshop times so people would have to manually download and install the content pack. Also not that many models from other games were ported over to GMod back then so... Also HL2 has a very interesting canon in my opinion with which you can do a lot, while also happening to work in a roleplay setting.

And technically you could mod OpenAura just as much as you could Clockwork, just nobody really did it or made their plugins public. People simply managed without all the extra plugins that get used nowadays.

D

Deleted member 1392

Half-Life 2 RP is dying to be honest, this community and mainly other are the ones alive out there. I remember Half-life 2 RP was filled with joy, actual Resistance RP and citizen RP. Nowdays I view webuls and edgy people... Sad that this gamemode is dying.

D

Deleted member 1392

every generation of hl2rpers has said this about the next one
But it's the truth, I've been in Half-Life 2 RP since uhh, maybe since 2014 and I've seen plenty of servers go up and down, now there are what? 2 communities alive, how's that a thing?

shibe

Molecule
Nebulae
But it's the truth, I've been in Half-Life 2 RP since uhh, maybe since 2014 and I've seen plenty of servers go up and down, now there are what? 2 communities alive, how's that a thing?
lol the only good hl2rp servers in all of hl2rp were lemonpunch and nebulous, maybe some others