Serious What do YOU like in fiction?

Cindy

*sigh* ud know this if u read the silmarillion...
Nebulae
I'm curious what people look for when they read, watch shows and movies, or even roleplay. What do you enjoy the most out of it? Are there particular styles and themes you like? Concepts, perspectives, philosophies or morals?

Consider this me taking a general consensus so that I can see what you guys like the most, so I can use that statistic to help influence what I write about.

Feel free to be as specific and go into as much detail as you like.

Cindy

Nebulae
Subtlety/Nuance.

I certainly agree- I feel stories have a lot more impact when they progress in subtle motions- even more so than something that's blatant or blunt.

Slow-burns really draw my attention. When you're reading or watching something unfold it allows you to both see it come together as well as predict what comes from it.

Masky

Full time lurker, Part time social anxiety attack.
Nebulae
Horror fiction that is actually unnerving, scary or otherwise spooky is always nice.
Fear of the unknown is almost always good.

Reactions: List

Cindy

Nebulae
Fear of the unknown is almost always good.

I used to try and emulate this a lot whenever I used to roleplay the interactions between vortigaunts and humankind in the HL2 universe.

A snippet from something I wrote on someone's application a while back. I think you might agree with it.

The thing that makes aliens, well, alien, is that we don't know a whole lot about them. There's a certain uniqueness that vortigaunts in specific have in the Half-Life 2 universe is that they are mysterious, and this mysteriousness is what makes them so interesting. You want to learn about them. It provokes curiosity. It is by all means a way to instigate people into roleplaying with your character. Obviously there are some areas of concern which require clarity for narrative purposes, but something as the life beyond the planar veil to the borderworld of Xen I feel is something that should be left ambiguous and unknown. Don't feel the need to exact every point and every single fact or detail. That's part of the magic of aliens in science-fiction settings. You, as a writer, can choose to utilize this mystery as a writing tool to spice up your character.

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
One thing I have grown fond of over time in fictional writing is having a large, detailed world established, but it does not get plot dumped at you, instead focusing around the characters that live in it, learning about the world they live in based on what they do, how they look, talk, ect. And taking advantage of much of the environment to hint at that world.

feels more like a place you grow into rather than just know.

One of my favorite bits in the book Metro 2033 is early on as a bunch of the older metro guards are talking to the rookie Artyom about their tales of grand adventure and brushes with death in the metro tunnels, because it gives you a hint of the world and some of the characters, while it is told by a couple of people who are likely exaggerating their stories to make them sound better. which I just loved.

Cindy

Nebulae
One thing I have grown fond of over time in fictional writing is having a large, detailed world established, but it does not get plot dumped at you, instead focusing around the characters that live in it, learning about the world they live in based on what they do, how they look, talk, ect. And taking advantage of much of the environment to hint at that world.

You essentially just describe my writing style LMAO.

This is exactly how I write.

Cindy

Nebulae
This ain't enough for me to chew on, folks. Gimme some more.