Serious What New computer should I get?

Spock

Shows up every other month to read ban appeals
Nebulae
So basically I’ve been saving up and I’ve got a couple thousand dollars to finally get my own computer. I myself am a novice when it comes to choosing computers, and I figure you guys could be of help.

The requirements are as follows:
- Must be a laptop, as I have no space to set up a desktop.
-has to be able to run games, though I figure that was already going to be any computers you recommended

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae

Seriously, try to avoid getting a laptop if you have thousands of dollars saved up

getting a desktop is worth it, and they can be surprisingly compact as long as you have good airflow

Reactions: List

constantdisplay

nokia talk 2002
Nebulae

Seriously, try to avoid getting a laptop if you have thousands of dollars saved up

getting a desktop is worth it, and they can be surprisingly compact as long as you have good airflow

what he said lol
desktops are getting increasingly smaller and are SO MUCH MORE VALUE FOR MONEY than gaming laptops, and I'm sorry but you must have some sort of small desk

Reactions: List

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
what he said lol
desktops are getting increasingly smaller and are SO MUCH MORE VALUE FOR MONEY than gaming laptops, and I'm sorry but you must have some sort of small desk
literally like

the money you spare on building a desktop you can spend on getting a screen, keyboard and desk

hell you can build your own desk from wood

`impulse

Head Staff
Nebulae
You can buy one of the prebuilt tiny desktops but it's still a desktop - they're a pain in the ass to travel with

If you can spare the $$$ and want to be able to move your pc around, I'd say a "gaming" laptop can be worth it. Just buy something that's built well (i.e minimal plastic, etc)

Spock

Shows up every other month to read ban appeals
Nebulae
The big thing with me is I travel very often.

`impulse

Head Staff
Nebulae
The big thing with me is I travel very often.
The razer laptops are pretty well-built and performant, but only if you have a couple grand to drop

Otherwise look on ebay or something for refurbished gaming laptops. I'm sure even last-gen laptops will give you the performance you'll need for schoolwork/moderate gaming

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
hell you can build your own desk from wood

I did so, it's huge as fuck and only €90, pretty cheap considering it's L shaped and big enough for lots of things, it's a nice idea to build your own desktop that fits your room perfectly, saves space and ends up giving you more chances to be creative.

Regardless, I see you need a laptop. My recommendation? If it says 'gaming', don't buy it. It's just a word that adds $100+ to the fucking thing just because.

Check amazon for sales, they usually have nice ones. What you need to look in the specs is:

• Do never, EVER, if it's Intel, buy a iX-XXXXU. The 'U' means it's fucking jackshit, ultra-low power, for instance i7-XXXXUs can have even only two physical cores, which is horrible. I have no idea about AMD processors for laptops, but in the case of Intel, only H, HK or HQ. Also, no i3 unless it's 8th Gen (i3-8XXX), preferably go for i5, i7 is great but may be a bit unnecessary, depending on what you want to play, also 8th Gen is great, but 6th Gen and 7th Gen are not bad at all either, but prices differ very little. For AMD if you prefer it, even if I never recommend AMD on laptops, look for processors with the around the same processing speed and so on, should come in specifications on AMD's and Intel's websites.
  • Graphics card, if you're looking to have it for games, must be minimum 4GB. The prices are going down again, at least here in Spain, no idea there, so a 1050Ti (4GB) or a 1060 (6GB, not the 3GB one) are good choices that will cover for everything or almost everything. You can go for AMD cards, but they're still expensive, miners love them.
  • SSD if possible, if not, make sure it has either a big sized and fast (7200RPM+) HDD, 1 or 2TB, since installing games in places with poor connections might be a pain in the ass. SSDs of 500GB may be nice but in the end, space is key on a laptop, so you might as well prefer to go for a setup with ~128GB SSD + 1TB HDD.
  • MINIMUM 8GB RAM. This is important, DDR4 8GB RAM, 4GB will do nothing.
  • Make sure you don't update from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, if the thing gives you 8.1 and the chance to update to Win10, make sure you perform a clean install, not upgrade.
  • Make sure the WiFi network controller is 802.11a or 802.11ac. 802.11n works as well, but whether it detects 5GHz WiFi or not is a bit of a lucky shot, while a or ac will detech both 5GHz and 2.4Ghz without problem. This is considering you want the laptop to play, 5GHz is necessary for some games if you don't want to have a very bad time with out friend Mr. Lag.
I think this is all, if you have any doubts feel free to ask.

E: If you're going to rate dumb at least give a proper answer to this thread and say why what I said is dumb. It helps the OP with his issue if you give alternatives and healthy discussion.

Last edited:

Whilt

Woh
Nebulae
If you have to get a laptop, I've heard good things about the acer predator helios 300. I'm aware this will be available soon, but an itx desktop would be significantly better in terms of value/performance.