What's Next? - HL2RP: Early Days

Dallas

event guy
Nebulae
You have to understand that, fundamentally, PA is not a law enforcement agency. In fact, law itself is a concept not inherent to PA as they're guided by their own sense of what's considered 'order' and 'peace' instead of codified regulations. The OTA-CP relation isn't a good comparison here, as they are sociopreservation and sociostabilization forces, whereas PA is neither. Do not conceptualise a hierarchy where cops are above PA, as the conscripts are not part of Overwatch. The CPs' authority over PA comes from the inherent authority they have over all citizens, not due to the structures they're in.

Being caught by PA does not necessarily mean you got caught committing a crime since they don't actually know what a crime is.
In fact, I expect that most interactions between PA and citizens will be resolved without calling cops over. Their goal isn't justice, it's to make sure their own city that they live in remains peaceful. In a way, the PA will probably end up 'helping' most criminals by dealing with them on their instead of handing them over. It's in a criminal's best interest to try to appease the PA so that they don't escalate.

So, to directly answer your question: in most cases, they will get away. In the most egregious situations, citizen vs. citizen PK criteria will apply, so if somebody within the PA takes it upon themselves they can still kill you (and face the consequences, if discovered).
you are like the japanese soldier stuck on an island fighting the war that ended years ago

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
Why do you want to run a setting which you don’t have the playercount for? Why not run “campaigns” whenever you want for people who sign up for them, to guarantee players and good quality stuff in the weekend?

Why return to a boring and frustrating format, only giving it a new coat of paint, and taking away even more player diversity than last time a city setting was done?
Something like this could definitely be nice. Giving some days for just rebels, some days for just civil protection, some for everyone with specific events/campaigns planned for those who want to get involved. Helps manage a lower population count and allows for more depth to be put into story telling. Since it isn't a Dallas-level event having to accommodate for 70+ people for up to a week, it isn't too difficult to write up a roadmap & storyline for the different factions to follow

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Something like this could definitely be nice. Giving some days for just rebels, some days for just civil protection, some for everyone with specific events/campaigns planned for those who want to get involved. Helps manage a lower population count and allows for more depth to be put into story telling. Since it isn't a Dallas-level event having to accommodate for 70+ people for up to a week, it isn't too difficult to write up a roadmap & storyline for the different factions to follow
To be honest I imagined it more like a one-shot DnD campaign but drawn over 2-3 sessions of play (a few days). No reason to include other factions than those it is about unless they’re staff controlled antagonists imo

Reactions: List

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
To be honest I imagined it more like a one-shot DnD campaign but drawn over 2-3 sessions of play (a few days). No reason to include other factions than those it is about unless they’re staff controlled antagonists imo
That sort of concept is what I'm going for, though a bit longer-form and allowing other factions to be able to take the 'main' role. Different factions'll give different opportunities for stories and styles of play, and can make previously quite difficult to access roles a lot more accessible with a focus on roleplay & story.

I'll make a working concept thread on what I'm thinking soon, does mean that some staff can control generic antagonist characters whilst also meaning if someone wanted to run a small campaign as Civil Protection then they have that option

Hunk

Extraction Point
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
death to youth. long live the old.

Northgate

:D
HL2 RP Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I'm just gonna enjoy whatever comes. if people play, I'll have fun and I'm excited to show what I've worked on

plus it's exciting just to do some roleplay again lol. I haven't done any RP in a solid year or so? so I'm def looking forward to this :))

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
That sort of concept is what I'm going for, though a bit longer-form and allowing other factions to be able to take the 'main' role. Different factions'll give different opportunities for stories and styles of play, and can make previously quite difficult to access roles a lot more accessible with a focus on roleplay & story.

I'll make a working concept thread on what I'm thinking soon, does mean that some staff can control generic antagonist characters whilst also meaning if someone wanted to run a small campaign as Civil Protection then they have that option
Dln’t make a format just wing it bro

Improv instead of formating everything is what neb needs to stay relevant lol

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
Dln’t make a format just wing it bro

Improv instead of formating everything is what neb needs to stay relevant lol
Always good to have a bit of foundation to know what to improv off of

rob

Nebulae
I'm just gonna enjoy whatever comes. if people play, I'll have fun and I'm excited to show what I've worked on

plus it's exciting just to do some roleplay again lol. I haven't done any RP in a solid year or so? so I'm def looking forward to this :))
Likewise, I’m only interested in playing if there are enough people, otherwise I’ll drop out.

Northgate

HL2 RP Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Likewise, I’m only interested in playing if there are enough people, otherwise I’ll drop out.

fair take. I'll play regardless to support, but obviously I'm hoping people play. it could be cool to see a different take on previous iterations :)

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Always good to have a bit of foundation to know what to improv off of
Idk I mean we just have a rough idea of the story (maps and what happens on each one in broad strokes) and then we say “yeah that’d be cool lets do that”

Everything else is GMs bouncing off of players and vice versa

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
It shouldn’t be a specific format at all, like, you should be innovative each time in some regard. Which topics the sessions cover, playstyle, faction, continent, planet, weaponry (or lack of), how much influence characters have in what happens etc. should all be fluid concepts

Alplands started as expeditions for scripts that required a /roll for loot beforehand lol, look where it is now concept wise

Kill formulaic garbage, nebulous is the Marvel of HL2RP right now - be the change you want to see, change the dynamic entirely or lose everything

constantdisplay

nokia talk 2002
Nebulae
i just think that even if this current iteration is dead, it was clearly a way more flexible format and a lot of fun came from that - even when there were biig playercount dips and gains

even a relaunch of the same format we have now would be better than going back to 1 map cityrp, because it is just going to nosedive like most of the "city" maps of this iteration have. and lets be honest, those ones had more going for them storywise

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
i just think that even if this current iteration is dead, it was clearly a way more flexible format and a lot of fun came from that - even when there were biig playercount dips and gains

even a relaunch of the same format we have now would be better than going back to 1 map cityrp, because it is just going to nosedive like most of the "city" maps of this iteration have. and lets be honest, those ones had more going for them storywise
Also very real, not to discredit the latest version

If you go back to city singular map you might as well just not launch the server

Northgate

HL2 RP Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Also very real, not to discredit the latest version

If you go back to city singular map you might as well just not launch the server

to be fair, at this point we've reached the project phase of HL2RP where people just do what they think might be fun. I'm pretty sure anyone with a good idea could launch their own projects in the community if they show enough motivation.

rob

Nebulae

I had a ton of fun, we were switching maps every few weeks at points and we were always trying something new, it was a blast- until it wasn't

we had some really talented people keeping things afloat and they're unfortunately no longer with us for reasons which I respect

now, I don't think we can match the quality of things back then but the format, like you said, was great, and I think we could still do good with it