What's Next? - HL2RP: Early Days

rob

Nebulae
what do you mean by "fatigue"? if you're implying that older communities are at some sort of inherent and inescapable disadvantage this is false.

if they aren't doing anything interesting or different, then why are they consistently drawing in a large amount of players? players will naturally play on whatever server offers the most interesting and compelling experience. if you think player count is not reflective of this whatsoever and continuously make excuses for poor performance (i.e fatigue?) instead of recognizing ways to actually create a competitive experience it's no question the server won't be successful - especially now that headstaff have clearly said they have no interest in the setting and have decided to pursue other projects.
the thing about Willard is that it attracts a different audience, at least that's what I think - I've given it a few tries and it never was my cup of tea, many here feel the same way, that's why they're still here

Reactions: List

Subeh

john rebelrp
Nebulae
liam-neeson-i-wish-that-were-so.gif

Nebulae
I hope that if this is gonna happen there’s more work put into the citizen faction, since that is what most people will be playin.

I felt like people always put 90% of the effort into the cool edgy exclusive factions such as ota, cab, intelligence etc etc even though they barely involved a handful of people and were never seen by random players
i agree with u man

If anyone can make a nice functional city rp server, with a deep and functional system for citizens, it'll legit be the big next thing.
that's what willard and that weird new hl2rp server, do right.

they invest in the whole citizen rp functionality and all that stuff,
so players focus on being citizens, grind their citizen rp, store rp functionality with place item feature, citizens focus also on getting apartments, get misc decor items, get all this meaningless but tiny citizen achievements, and that gets u rp, and desire to come back.

anyone makes actually sustainable, fun, modern framework of citizenrp with good plugins of interaction and detail?
you sell me hl2rp forever

Mike65536

The Motha' Fuckin' Newports.
Nebulae
Mfw planning to make Tarkov: Arena in HL2RP. (I am going to watch people I arm with baseball bats beat each other to death)

john

barbecue chips aint shit
Nebulae
only run weekends and give it your undivided attention in the time the server is up, with a base plot in mind and pumped out events. self-sustaining hl2rp as a medium doesnt exist in the way neb has done it before.

constantdisplay

nokia talk 2002
Premium Member
Nebulae
I personally detested the format. For me it was the hyperaggressive TDM gameplay; the Us vs Them mentality that killed it. Death lost complete meaning as people recklessly sent their characters into slaughter without consequences or reprecautions. So much so that people always took the opportunity to shoot without thinking; slaughtering pockets of roleplayers on several occasions.

As a matter of fact, City 24 demonstrated through the playercount people were far more interested in S2K than roleplay as the server peaked during planned incursions.
i feel like this is ignoring that c24 devolved into tdm at the end because of the frequent s2k continually interrupting rp until ppl gave up trying to passive. it wasnt rly indicative of people preferring s2k, it was just the *only* thing to do towards the end, especially with vendor attracting new players

thst being said, i think its sad that staff decided to appease s2kheads in season 1 and 2. this iteration would of been sooo much better if it set out clear alternatives from the beginning, the us vs them s2k shit has jutted against basically everything good and memorable abt this iteration and its the source of like 75% of the bitching that only deepened the divide between cops and rebels. its depressing that change wasnt made when there *was* an opportunity, even if people want to start doomerposting abt why nothing should change ever

same thing with the 24/7 format persisting when player numbers dropped, when it made total sense to trial different hours and when multiple people were asking for it

Last edited:

Merlinsclaw

Risen From Ruins
Nebulae
only run weekends and give it your undivided attention in the time the server is up, with a base plot in mind and pumped out events. self-sustaining hl2rp as a medium doesnt exist in the way neb has done it before.
everyone who is saying 'run it on weekends' or 'do campaigns' is huffing insane copium. think about the premium numbers man. how is the server supposed to stay up?

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
itt: people asking for something completely different than what is being offered so the server can cater to their niche tastes

i want a post-post-occupation server
i am not going to get one
i am okay with that

Andrew

Atom
Nebulae
Can the server cater my birthday
Prefer Mexican food

Osira

Neutrino
Nebulae
what do you mean by "fatigue"? if you're implying that older communities are at some sort of inherent and inescapable disadvantage this is false.

if they aren't doing anything interesting or different, then why are they consistently drawing in a large amount of players? players will naturally play on whatever server offers the most interesting and compelling experience. if you think player count is not reflective of this whatsoever and continuously make excuses for poor performance (i.e fatigue?) instead of recognizing ways to actually create a competitive experience it's no question the server won't be successful - especially now that headstaff have clearly said they have no interest in the setting and have decided to pursue other projects.

older communities simply have and will get tired of the same thing after 7-8 years, it's like how you get sick after eating chocolate for awhile
you have to consider that most of the people here or are still here have played for a long time, as far back as lemonpunch which started in 2013 - me being one of them.

the headstaff, mainly alex i think has said multiple times and even in the helix discord that he's just ready to move on from gmod as a whole, it's not really a setting thing. i don't blame him, there's not a lot of crap to play anymore depending on ur timezone and it's kind of on the downtrend anyway. i've seen a lot of servers have good actual devwork put into them only for them to flop in a day or a month, but i'm imagining i think it's just alex has played this for so long it's one of those things where it's time to move on, no hard feelings, etc.

Northgate

:D
HL2 RP Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

doesn't really work for us and our audience outside of more niche communities

i think most of us at this point are getting busy enough where we want to do different things on weekends. I do have more time on Saturday & Sunday, but even then I only play in the evenings if I'm not going out, nothing changes for me. and I've taken the weekends to actually be productive and be with my people versus the middle of the week

i feel like it also raises expectations? like if we're only open on weekends, it's natural to assume there's gonna be something big when the server is open then

I actually prefer the flexibility of being active during the week. It's more fun returning home and relaxing in the evenings with something fun to do for a few hours to kill time

the headstaff, mainly alex i think has said multiple times and even in the helix discord that he's just ready to move on from gmod as a whole, it's not really a setting thing. i don't blame him, there's not a lot of crap to play anymore depending on ur timezone and it's kind of on the downtrend anyway. i've seen a lot of servers have good actual devwork put into them only for them to flop in a day or a month, but i'm imagining i think it's just alex has played this for so long it's one of those things where it's time to move on, no hard feelings, etc.

i think we've done so much on gmod it'd be absolutely fair just to call it a day and enjoy what we've done. i still think it's important to do something while work on GTA is being done and we've just entered a phase where the community themselves lead the projects now

Hunk

Extraction Point
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
everyone: we are tired of this!!

also everyone: nothing else will work...

Last edited:

Hunk

Extraction Point
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
doesn't really work for us and our audience outside of more niche communities
For us or for you?
because i know a lot of neb players that also play on other communities that opted for a different Gameplay scheme and afaik I dont hear them complaining

You guys live in a nonexisting bubble. Nothing has changed because the people havent change

Even the community's management has moved on

Northgate

:D
HL2 RP Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
For us or for you?
because i know a lot of neb players that also play on other communities that opted for a different Gameplay scheme and afaik I dont hear them complaining

You guys live in a nonexisting bubble. Nothing has changed because the people havent change

Even the community's management has moved on

For us lol it's just not something that'll work for this iteration

If you want to make it work, you're welcome to propose a project. We've entered the community project era of nebulous, which is fine by all means

Subeh

john rebelrp
Nebulae
snip aint worth it

Last edited: