What's Next? - HL2RP: Early Days

Northgate

:D
HL2 RP Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
ok hollon let me not be a dumbass for a sec

what i genuinely advise is that u guys downgrade the operation to the size of the playerbase ur actually working with. idk how much that is, but let's say it's 20-30; 20-30 aint enough for a full-scale city rp setting, not in my opinion. so find a way to downscale it.

smaller city maybe? smaller map in general? smaller story? i dont know what 'downsizing' actually looks like, but still

if u guys got a dedicated few, then cater to the dedicated few and do what's fun. just dont run the damn thing like ur workin w 100 people

let's go to city_19, Venice here we comeeeeee

on a real note though, I do think we shouldn't downscale right out the gate before we even know what players we can expect. downscaling can be done in response. we shouldn't superscale and expect 200000 players, because if we get any less the structure will collapse but i think as long as we stay somewhat realistic we can achieve something cool.

on another real note, I'd KILL to see venice used it's unironically my fav map

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
ok hollon let me not be a dumbass for a sec

what i genuinely advise is that u guys downgrade the operation to the size of the playerbase ur actually working with. idk how much that is, but let's say it's 20-30; 20-30 aint enough for a full-scale city rp setting, not in my opinion. so find a way to downscale it.

smaller city maybe? smaller map in general? smaller story? i dont know what 'downsizing' actually looks like, but still

if u guys got a dedicated few, then cater to the dedicated few and do what's fun. just dont run the damn thing like ur workin w 100 people

actual map size doesnt matter

playable map size does

i've said this time and time again; that staff should use props to cordon off parts of the map depending on the amount of players are around
whether its combine doors that only open during "workshifts" (high player count) or rubble that only gets removed "when enough hands can pull it aside"

that way, when the playercount is lower, the density is higher to make up for it

Reactions: List

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
fiGbMXp.png

Sorry I'm a little late to the party, busy weekend.

Anyway, wish you luck and everything, sincerely hope it goes well, but I think we've now officially fallen into the WW3RP trap. As others have said here, CityRP requires a high pop to feel remotely 'lived in' unless you go for one of those extremely small but high detail maps, kinda like the original city 8 or something custom fit for it, however I'm going to pass either way.

Generic Citizen RP was never really all that much for me as a well known vortigaunt player and something that's just citizens and a few scant robo-cops (and I don't say that lightly, you've set them up to be just antagonists from the blurb, I don't expect the old 'glimmer of humanity' based on what I've read, which just means they're just going to be insufferable to interact with, which imo was the worst part about citizenrp) just strikes me as 'generic dystopia' than the sci-fi HL universe, but either way imo HL2RP without the alien aspect just isn't interesting to me personally.

Still, good luck.

Last edited:

Northgate

:D
HL2 RP Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

playable map size does

i've said this time and time again; that staff should use props to cordon off parts of the map depending on the amount of players are around
whether its combine doors that only open during "workshifts" (high player count) or rubble that only gets removed "when enough hands can pull it aside"

that way, when the playercount is lower, the density is higher to make up for it

We did this too late on Stasiland I remember. The other problem was, we blocked off part of the city rather than the outside, which was 5x bigger lol

in any case, as long as we pay attention as staff we can hopefully catch it before it becomes a problem

Provingmedusa

Scourge of Antlions
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
I've always bashed on any new attempts at HL2RP by Neb so I'm not going to say anything but I just wanna know what drives you guys to keep on trying to revive this genre? For the people who have stuck around to playing it after all these years, what is it that keeps you at it?
I've not been here for years, but I've played this iteration almost every day I could for the whole year.

It's because I can't get this exact experience anywhere else, and if it exists, I don't know about it.

It's the server that's got me by the balls and I want to keep playing on it for as long as I possibly can. The last time I was this dedicated to a server must've been years ago.

I'll keep playing this shit for as long as it exists on the internet. Gmod, and by extension, Nebulous is THE place I want to experience it on because I've been with it for a year now and I'll be damned if I just abandon it like others have. I'm here until the end.

RedMan

Electron
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
I've always bashed on any new attempts at HL2RP by Neb so I'm not going to say anything but I just wanna know what drives you guys to keep on trying to revive this genre? For the people who have stuck around to playing it after all these years, what is it that keeps you at it?
What makes me wonder is what causes grown adults that have seemingly moved past HL2RP suddenly find the time to log back onto the forums after several months, if not years, and provide the most defeatist or depressing response towards an ambitious group of individuals trying to kickstart something they are passionate about.

This is not me taking a jab at you in particular, but it is a trend that I have noticed just sitting and reading this forum.

Let them cook. Participate in their ideas. Provide feedback and suggestions. See where it goes.
Iterations may be short, but they provide the experience and memories people seek.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
What makes me wonder is what causes grown adults that have seemingly moved past HL2RP suddenly find the time to log back onto the forums after several months, if not years, and provide the most defeatist or depressing response towards an ambitious group of individuals trying to kickstart something they are passionate about.

Honestly? Its because, more often than not, those people actually haven't moved on and want to play here again but what is being offered doesn't interest them personally - hence why folks will try and change the concept to something that would let them come back and enjoy it.

It often isn't helpful at all, but that's what it stems from in most cases.

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Honestly? Its because, more often than not, those people actually haven't moved on and want to play here again but what is being offered doesn't interest them personally - hence why folks will try and change the concept to something that would let them come back and enjoy it.

It often isn't helpful at all, but that's what it stems from in most cases.
Its a mega cope if anyone here thinks you have the playerbase for whatever you want to do with this concept

Locked server event sign-ups or open server weekend only small-window time sessions are your only hope unless you’re willing to make drastic changes to preserve what you want to do

Subeh

john rebelrp
Nebulae
on a real note though, I do think we shouldn't downscale right out the gate before we even know what players we can expect.
downscale and then upscale depending on whether or not the population rises

starting high and reducing is infinitely more annoying

playable map size does

this

do this u wankers

ok bye

john

barbecue chips aint shit
Nebulae
i like hl2rp i just only have the patience for episodic content now, something a lot of people on neb could get quite good at running if they put their minds to it. i think it would bring in 30 odd players over short bursts with undivided attention on their narrative and the story you're putting forward

if you're running a long-term experience though, all the more power to you. u dont need a hundred players to have fun if you've got 5-10 people you enjoy being around and engaging with. some of my favorite memories were from a cold dead iteration's last wails when i was rping with @Appetite Ruining Kebab a lot. i would not personally play a long-term city rp though, its more investment than im ready for, so thats my anecdotal feedback.

if u do end up running it this way anyway, do a small map with a loose ruleset, emphasized by interaction foremost, and without CPOG's or any OOC restrictions, let people run loose in tight-knit stories.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
how will the server stay up if we don't have premium members maxenzie???

there are many people in nebulous who dont even play who still continue to be premium members just because they want to support it

anyone who makes an argument that is centered solely around the premium players is goofy

constantdisplay

nokia talk 2002
Nebulae
there are still lots of good people around, and theres still interest in it. last year especially i had more fun on hl2rp than i ever did on strictly cityrp - or even any hl2rp servers honestly. obviously a 24/7 server is never going to be 100% all the time, especially when playercount drops off - but there was still a bunch of memorable shit happening. i dont think its rly that complex or confusing lol

Mic15000

The Underdog
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I just like the community even if I don't play a lot and while it is sad to see the activity on the forum dwindle so I hope it picks up a bit mostly cause the forums were pretty entertaining. While I'm likely 100% done with Gmod because I discovered the joy of pen-and-paper RPGs (D&D & the likes) I hope it goes well none-the-less since I have a lot of nice memories here and if people still enjoy it then it is not dead and sometimes small groups make things more memorable, just build from what you have and adapt to what you can!

Merlinsclaw

Risen From Ruins
Nebulae
there are many people in nebulous who dont even play who still continue to be premium members just because they want to support it

anyone who makes an argument that is centered solely around the premium players is goofy
Let me legitimately respond to you in your own words.
3c44e02196d2a31fbe667292990284cd.png

A non 24/7 server is never happening. And given that this is "supposed" to be Nebulous' last adventure in GMOD, it may be over...

Goopy

Molecule
Nebulae
What makes me wonder is what causes grown adults that have seemingly moved past HL2RP suddenly find the time to log back onto the forums after several months

I've had Lemonpunch and Nebulous as part of my life for 10 years now (doom). Even if I don't post for weeks, I always just open the forum, it's natural to do it when I open chrome.

And I open it because I like the community, I've had this community for 10 years. I have made many friends here. I started off hating Dallas and Powley back when I was an annoying pre-teen, but now I'm glad to call them friends. I like seeing Subeh post about his journey, I like seeing Maxenzie post about his DND, I like seeing Houstans museum posts. I like seeing John post and remembering playing Tarkov with him, or WW3RP taxi drivers. I like seeing Oxy or Scrub and thinking about LP WW3RP. I like seeing people post how they've changed on the LGBT thread. Seeing isuckatgaming or Goatson post reminds me of our little discord we used to share. I like seeing Rabid defend HL2RP to this day, bless that man. When I see Kafe I'm reminded of the WW3RP maps we were promised. Sometimes someone I haven't seen in a while will post, and it's nice, because I've known them and have memories of them. I also hope to see some people who haven't posted in years post again, like catastrophe maker.

Even with relatively newer friends, like Northgate, I like seeing his posts and remembering the fun we had on Stasiland together.

This place has burried its worms far too deep for me to leave it be, even if I don't play anymore, I'm holding out hope that eventually Nebulous will do something that catches my attention. To be a bit more sentimental, I've grown up with this place, and it's neat to also have seen other people grow up here too. I remember begrudgingly helping numbers when he was new, and had numbers as his name. And I remember having fun with him as West betrays Primorsky for the Russians, offering Innocenti immunity and then escaping with Africs NATO character from the Soviet bunker, being chased across the map and retiring my Russian character on a British helicopter to America.

Also I just miss forums man, this is like the only forum that's still kicking from when I was younger. We've entered a new age of internet, and forums have not survived the transition.

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
I've had Lemonpunch and Nebulous as part of my life for 10 years now (doom). Even if I don't post for weeks, I always just open the forum, it's natural to do it when I open chrome.

And I open it because I like the community, I've had this community for 10 years. I have made many friends here. I started off hating Dallas and Powley back when I was an annoying pre-teen, but now I'm glad to call them friends. I like seeing Subeh post about his journey, I like seeing Maxenzie post about his DND, I like seeing Houstans museum posts. I like seeing John post and remembering playing Tarkov with him, or WW3RP taxi drivers. I like seeing Oxy or Scrub and thinking about LP WW3RP. I like seeing people post how they've changed on the LGBT thread. Seeing isuckatgaming or Goatson post reminds me of our little discord we used to share. I like seeing Rabid defend HL2RP to this day, bless that man. When I see Kafe I'm reminded of the WW3RP maps we were promised. Sometimes someone I haven't seen in a while will post, and it's nice, because I've known them and have memories of them. I also hope to see some people who haven't posted in years post again, like catastrophe maker.

Even with relatively newer friends, like Northgate, I like seeing his posts and remembering the fun we had on Stasiland together.

This place has burried its worms far too deep for me to leave it be, even if I don't play anymore, I'm holding out hope that eventually Nebulous will do something that catches my attention. To be a bit more sentimental, I've grown up with this place, and it's neat to also have seen other people grow up here too. I remember begrudgingly helping numbers when he was new, and had numbers as his name. And I remember having fun with him as West betrays Primorsky for the Russians, offering Innocenti immunity and then escaping with Africs NATO character from the Soviet bunker, being chased across the map and retiring my Russian character on a British helicopter to America.

Also I just miss forums man, this is like the only forum that's still kicking from when I was younger. We've entered a new age of internet, and forums have not survived the transition.
The very key difference is you actually focus on your positive memories instead of harbouring grudges and holding onto negativity like some do. You see the community for what it actually is instead of using it as some kind of dumping ground for your own personal negativity or frustration

It's quite easy to lose sight of it for some, especially when they are neck-deep in some personal drama or whatever.