What's Next? - HL2RP: Early Days

Lewis!

フローラルの専門店
Nebulae
I said this multiple times, and I will say it again. The sole reason for my removal was my shit attitude, not incompetence. As Simman said; an unfounded claim.

I've decided to take a more hands-off approach in order to avoid any drama, that's why I have been silent throughout this thread, reading all the demoralizing and discouraging replies in silence (Really, if your objective is to make me give up on this last stand, you're succeeding). However, I can't stand idle when your innate hatred towards me and my friends clouds your judgment about this iteration.

The way the server is designed innately prevents devolving into an S2K shitfest. The conscripts have only one gun per squad (and its one of the two worst guns on the server), are prohibited from firing upon civilians and don't posses any authority. Cops are purely reactionary from what I know, and the "OTA" will be used in the same way Helix 1 OTA were. Once a blue moon.

My factions' authority is purely In-Character, and my limited OOC control over the server is restricted to managing said factions.

Each and every reply from the mob has only ensured me that most nebuloids are incapable of reading comprehension, or are simply too lazy if the thread has more than two paragraphs.

NG shotcopping started through IC developments, anyone from the Armbands can attest. I was still a member of the Combine faction (EOW, OTA, CP) when we were actively hunting NG.
I have you ignored on forums otherwise I would have read this sooner.

You can call it what you want, being a faction leader who alienated members of his own faction, as well as other elements of the playerbase and staff team, then being unable to control the ensuing fires is incompetence as a faction lead, and you shouldn't have been in that position to begin with.

Like I said, I don't arbitrarily want this iteration to fail, and I hope what you're saying about the new faction is true and good luck with it, just don't make the same mistakes that have landed you on the brink of wanting to give up.

Thood74

Molecule
Premium Member
Nebulae
i could design something you have never seen before or will see again
ok do it then right fucking now and make it happen on the server too rather than being lost to some design thread like a ton of good ideas before it

I dont even care if you are or were kidding because you are definitely capable of it

Dallas

event guy
Nebulae
ok do it then right fucking now and make it happen too

I dont even care if you are or were kidding because you are definitely capable of it
'Half Life Year Zero' (earth is an alien afghanistan)

both are serious concepts that could work with a small to middling amount of players

Last edited:
Reactions: List

Northgate

:D
HL2 RP Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I have two server concepts for HL2RP

one that is designed after AuraWatch that is entirely built around the citizen

the other is 'Half Life Year Zero' (earth is an alien afghanistan)

both are serious concepts that could work with a small to middling amount of players

I'm still fascinated to date about your Year Zero concept honestly. Is the thread still out there?

Dallas

event guy
Nebulae
I'm still fascinated to date about your Year Zero concept honestly. Is the thread still out there?
I have a pdf of it still but i'll post the summary here:

TL;DR: our interpretation of HL2, the Combine, and resistance, is wrong. It could be much more interesting. Earth is an alien Afghanistan.

conclusion

I wanted to write this because I’ve wasted a lot of my time playing this game, and I’ve been frustrated at the same mistakes, the same problems, the same lack of imagination that dominates so many versions of the gamemode. I have helped perpetuate these issues, I have been a force for shite ideas, and I have been complicit in the preservation of systems of HL2RP orthodoxy that ultimately stop the game from growing.

But, I am also of the belief that HL2 is not a dead concept. It is only rendered dead when we limit ourselves to one very narrow reading of the text. We must investigate and celebrate the base games we all love, and understand that the parallels with our own world are not there by accident.

Hudson

Electron
Nebulae
@Hudson mind making a neb timeline? Include golden age events etc
37CvP6S.png

It would have been difficult adding individual events. Some can be found here: https://steamcommunity.com/groups/gca1/discussions/0/3040480429138730019/

More timeline graphs:
dWN7OsM.png
Z10Gn9S.jpeg

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
watching HL2RP^2 last the entirety of 2023 makes me think

capping each iteration to lasting a year would force the staff to come up with a concrete ending and have a narrative

ah but what am i talking about
Now hold on a minute

You're onto something

If we do end up going forward past this iteration, why have it be a perpetual story, when in reality it could be a year-long (or less) package?

When one big idea/story is done, a fresh start is born. It's not like this is something we haven't tried before, after all we did have WW3RP: Generations.

Why not have HL2RP: Generations?

NiGHT

Quark
Premium Member
Nebulae
'Half Life Year Zero' (earth is an alien afghanistan)

Its a great concept, needs to explore the adaptability of Humanity, think more headcrab pets(someone would definitely farm them and it would be chaos if they broke out before deteething) and such.

We get to deal with the vortigaunts being hostile as the start and slowly warming up to us.
We could also give certain chars Rebel NPC squad members since they will be plenty of Human that can easily be disposed of, and allows us to have huge casuaulities that we can see ( Maybe have the Combine a mow down couple dozen civilian NPCS in front of a group that is hidden away or something)