What's Next? - HL2RP: Early Days

Northgate

:D
HL2 RP Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
no but for real i am very happy with how cops and progenitors act

progenitors are a great concept because they serve the thugs with sticks concept perfectly. especially since they have no anonymity and regularly have to mingle with the civilian populace they have to both be enforcers as well as limit their display to avoid retaliation. i especially love that these guys can go off duty, it solves the age old problem of combine characters wanting to main them, but this isolating them from a usually already small city population. this fixes that.

cops too are very unique and fun, since cops are hired as characters first, which makes them all act in their own ways and as such, be very, very interesting

Reactions: List

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
no but for real i am very happy with how cops and progenitors act

progenitors are a great concept because they serve the thugs with sticks concept perfectly. especially since they have no anonymity and regularly have to mingle with the civilian populace they have to both be enforcers as well as limit their display to avoid retaliation. i especially love that these guys can go off duty, it solves the age old problem of combine characters wanting to main them, but this isolating them from a usually already small city population. this fixes that.

cops too are very unique and fun, since cops are hired as characters first, which makes them all act in their own ways and as such, be very, very interesting
Progenitors are C24 Proselytes

This is a good thing

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
62cdf2b4814d72e4318819bfe7dacdfd.png

The Red Devil

Proton
Nebulae
I still think we should block off certain areas of the map to concentrate the playerbase more but I’m having plenty of fun so far

Ricsow

professional retard
HL2 RP Administrator
Media Developer
Nebulae
I still think we should block off certain areas of the map to concentrate the playerbase more but I’m having plenty of fun so far
Plenty is blocked off already, and some areas are accessible but heavily discouraged to stay in (Q.Z)

surra

Molecule
Nebulae
Perhaps you could write a little bit about what you think is the reason it hasn't caught your interest?
i feel like the focus of events being work-related is kind of slow, I kept my eye on most of them and I wasn't too interested in doing them because...they're workshifts really, the danger is the progenitor's concern so citizens just break rocks, i found most of my enjoyment going my own way and some staff members doing mini events away from the main group, i enjoyed that a LOT more

the only workshift I did was the clinic one? And then the rubble got cleared out for about an hour before it collapsed again, I'm assuming you don't want players to access these areas so early but I think without giving players a clear direction these things will probably happen

I find the main blob of events and faction-relations not very interesting, it isnt bad, but it isnt too good right now. granted it's the first two days but I expected more tug of war for power among the groups right now, but that's player choice afterall, completely out of your hands

rob

Nebulae
Perhaps you could write a little bit about what you think is the reason it hasn't caught your interest?
While I cannot speak for Postal, I agree with his post. The CityRP theme has been overplayed, and I've gotten bored of it. It's either that or I lack motivation, or both. It's not a server issue to explore a setting I have no interest in.

It's clear it's interested the majority, though; over 30 people are loving it, which is great for them ☺️

I would be genuinely interested if elements from the Outlands 2023 iteration were introduced, or even if we revisited the Outlands in its entirety, or something else. However, until then, and I hate to say this - especially knowing the efforts my friends are putting into the server - my interest is virtually zero :steamsad:

Last edited:

fofa

Atom
Nebulae
tbh my only complaint is that most of the events for citizens in the city - as surra said - are workshifts, which have just always been tedious and destroying rocks for a ration isn't really innovative.

i understand that the city is being slowly rebuilt and some parts of it are blocked off - i like that, it's quite fresh - but it'd also be nice to expand the initial area of roleplay to just beyond the city centre, or at least let players clear the rubble under an admin's supervision, as long as it's doable so people can do this on their own - it gives them agency and freedom. right now they're forced to depend on workshifts and the CWU to set up a workshift that'll happen in x time because clearing out the rubble in another roleplay hub is prioritised

Last edited:

Postal

Molecule
Nebulae
how many times has this community opened up a hl2rp server, with hardly anyone playing weeks down the line cus it's the same old shit

about time u ditch that shit and try something else

fofa

Atom
Nebulae
how many times has this community opened up a hl2rp server, with hardly anyone playing weeks down the line cus it's the same old shit

you are like the japanese soldier stuck on an island fighting the war that ended years ago
as much as i'd like to see the server move in a different direction, i don't think it'll happen. though i presume they'll be forced to do this as the server ages due to the fact that city rp isn't a sustainable medium anymore

Ricsow

professional retard
HL2 RP Administrator
Media Developer
Nebulae
i feel like the focus of events being work-related is kind of slow, I kept my eye on most of them and I wasn't too interested in doing them because...they're workshifts really, the danger is the progenitor's concern so citizens just break rocks, i found most of my enjoyment going my own way and some staff members doing mini events away from the main group, i enjoyed that a LOT more

the only workshift I did was the clinic one? And then the rubble got cleared out for about an hour before it collapsed again, I'm assuming you don't want players to access these areas so early but I think without giving players a clear direction these things will probably happen

I find the main blob of events and faction-relations not very interesting, it isnt bad, but it isnt too good right now. granted it's the first two days but I expected more tug of war for power among the groups right now, but that's player choice afterall, completely out of your hands
I'm glad people have joined my mini events surrounding the Q.Z and the underground system of the city (there's still more to come!), but I do think it'd be best if we had more things players can enjoy without relying on events or workshifts, that’s the pit the first Helix iteration fell into. I'm still gonna do events when I can of course but my creativity and time has its limits too at the end of the day (basically everything I have done for you and Luke, and any other player I GMed for has been almost completely improv).

We'll think of something

constantdisplay

nokia talk 2002
Nebulae
yea overall the ambience, propbuilds, overall stuff like that has been good. the portal storms, changing weather, the strider crossing back and forth and skybox stuff

faction interactions have been hit or miss. some of the few cops who are playing, are being interesting anatagonists and generating rp, some are not. some (most, actually) of the PA have been fun to interact with, and some are standing guard with aks in epic conscript suits waiting for things to shoot at (waow what a throwback)

i did kind of think there'd be more tension between the two factions, with PA being outgunned but having more men? will see how it turns out

the rubble workshifts have been abt as fun as pulling nails (sorry) so thanks to the staff whove been helping groups of ppl to facilitate their own rp in qz and elsewhere. i do like the general idea of rebuilding the city though, leaning on cwu, etc

Coldflame

Proton
Nebulae
the rubble clearing and arrival stuff is a vibe for a couple days and ive been enjoying it but its not something that works as an ongoing loop. best to be moving on from it imo

Northgate

:D
HL2 RP Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
tbh my only complaint is that most of the events for citizens in the city - as surra said - are workshifts, which have just always been tedious and destroying rocks for a ration isn't really innovative.

i understand that the city is being slowly rebuilt and some parts of it are blocked off - i like that, it's quite fresh - but it'd also be nice to expand the initial area of roleplay to just beyond the city centre, or at least let players clear the rubble under an admin's supervision, as long as it's doable so people can do this on their own - it gives them agency and freedom. right now they're forced to depend on workshifts and the CWU to set up a workshift that'll happen in x time because clearing out the rubble in another roleplay hub is prioritised

Civil Services have had a slow rollout because it's Easter. But when I'm back home (today) I'll put greater focus on the goals for this iteration that are gonna add to some of the more interesting elements of this iteration. Especially with companies, you may see some interesting developments after the first week, which we really want to purely focus on letting characters interact and the city to slowly develop.

we tried and it was fun, we just wanna try out some of the stuff a lot of us really missed. outlands RP is so event intensive it leads to massive burnouts in very short time but I get u nonetheless

rob

Nebulae
we tried and it was fun, we just wanna try out some of the stuff a lot of us really missed. outlands RP is so event intensive it leads to massive burnouts in very short time but I get u nonetheless
that's fair enough

i don't miss any of this though, i was happy putting it behind me when i played numbers' iteration

if you guys ever do something that might appeal to the folk who enjoyed outlands RP, let me know