What's the plan for GTA 6?

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
So in two days they're gonna drop the trailer for GTA 6, and it's well known that Rockstar absorbed the FiveM team, which likely means the possibility of custom FiveM style servers on whatever GTA6: Online they put out (because ofc they're gonna put one out), along with the basic 'official' online.

If this is the case, what's the plan for us?
- If it's possible to migrate, will we?
- If it's possible to migrate and we don't, what's the plan if we're essentially left behind by the playerbase?
- If it's not possible to just simply migrate what we already have over to GTA6 but it is possible to start over fresh with new custom servers on there, what will we do? Will we take that step and just start over from scratch for GTA6 or would we just stay here?

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
I imagine it'll take quite a long time for anything to get established for big communities and small alike.

The framework won't be there at first so you'll likely have to rebuild it, you have to count on enough players having the game to make the switch worth it and I think even when the majority move on there'll always be a niche for GTA V over 6.

There are still pretty massive communities running on San Andreas after all.

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I imagine it'll take quite a long time for anything to get established for big communities and small alike.

The framework won't be there at first so you'll likely have to rebuild it, you have to count on enough players having the game to make the switch worth it and I think even when the majority move on there'll always be a niche for GTA V over 6.

There are still pretty massive communities running on San Andreas after all.
If the FiveM team have set it up in a way where a lot of systems can be migrated, I'd be very surprised if major communities didn't find some way to move over.

It's entirely possible the framework will be there from the get-go given that the FiveM team are a part of the development, I would be extremely surprised if Rockstar brought them in for them to do nothing with the multiplayer.

On the player part, GTA 5 sold 16 million copies within the first 5 days, if you don't think GTA 6 will pull that, if not by magnitudes more given how long it's been since GTA 5 and the hype it will have, especially if custom servers are built into the game like GTA5:O was, I have no idea what to tell you.

I'm not saying there won't be communities that stay on GTA5, but that's kinda the point of my question: do we intend to be one of them, or will we be one of the first to break ground on GTA6.

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
Well first order of business is - I don't think we know if the game will be on PC at launch. If Rockstar sticks to their pattern - they will likely release a PC version about a year or two after the initial launch. GTA 5 launched in 2013 and the PC version launched in 2015. I think they do this to minimize piracy during the initial launch window of their game and they know GTA is such a big deal that most PC players will bite the bullet and buy a console version so they don't miss out

So if you ask me this isn't really worth considering at the moment purely for this alone.

boots

spooky skellys
HL2 RP Senior Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Well first order of business is - I don't think we know if the game will be on PC at launch. If Rockstar sticks to their pattern - they will likely release a PC version about a year or two after the initial launch. GTA 5 launched in 2013 and the PC version launched in 2015. I think they do this to minimize piracy during the initial launch window of their game and they know GTA is such a big deal that most PC players will bite the bullet and buy a console version so they don't miss out

So if you ask me this isn't really worth considering at the moment purely for this alone.
While I do think you are right on this, I'm hoping that GTA 6 will launch on PC the same time as the console versions.

When RDR2 came to PC a few years ago, I remember it didn't get cracked for over a year after release. They upgraded their anti-piracy thing (I have no idea on the technicality of it, just that it was very hard to crack).

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

I suppose we'll find out with the trailer I guess, but that doesn't really answer my questions as much as delays them.

warlord

String
Nebulae
Rockstar absorbing FiveM got me thinking too. If there's a chance to migrate, I'm all for it. Starting fresh on new custom servers for GTA 6 sounds tempting. But, let's be real, if we stay put and miss the wave, that player base gap could sting.

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
RedM is still extremely underdeveloped in comparison to FiveM due to the engine changes from GTA V to Red Dead Redemption 2.

It’ll likely be a very long time before a proper modding platform is stable for GTA VI.

We’ll see where we’re at by the time it becomes a viable option. I don’t think FiveM being acquired by Rockstar is going to accelerate it, considering FiveM receives less updates now and it’s still being reverse engineered even though Rockstar could just give the FiveM team source code access.