Why the FTRP servers ended

Hudson

Electron
Nebulae
I wrote this for the archive and thought I'd copy it here too. Please note that this thread is not intended to be a place to discuss FTRP:

The FTRP gamemode is set in a post-apocalyptic America where people struggle to survive, and some of the survivors have mutations which give them atleast one of a range of different powers. Players that wrote a mutant application and had it accepted by the server staff could have a highly unique character.

To my knowledge there had been 3 FTRP servers run under 3 communities, and one of those runs saw the gamemode renamed to Quarantine Zone Roleplay. The nebulous community had run one of the servers several months prior to the time of writing, and on their forum I made a thread asking why FTRP had failed.

I was blown away by the reponse to the thread. In only 2 days there were 197 replies, and no doubt there were more to come if the thread hadn't been locked. There was obviously a huge collective passion for the concept of the gamemode.

The responses in the thread spoke of a wide range of reasons given for the ending of these servers, with some being common problems in Garry's Mod, and others being unique to the particular gamemode. The thread felt like a lot of pressure was being vented.

I worry that diving into the individual issues from those ~200 posts would likely take a lot of time only to reignite arguments or spark new ones that I'm sure could go on for well more than 2 days.

The point of this post is not to warn future attempts at FTRP about what might go wrong, it's only to respectfully acknowledge the ending of something that a lot of people have invested their efforts into. Potentially the gamemode offered a unique experience, but clearly it wasn't an easy thing to bring to life.

Reactions: List

Postal

Molecule
Nebulae
I wrote this for the archive and thought I'd copy it here too. Please note that this thread is not intended to be a place to discuss FTRP:

The FTRP gamemode is set in a post-apocalyptic America where people struggle to survive, and some of the survivors have mutations which give them atleast one of a range of different powers. Players that wrote a mutant application and had it accepted by the server staff could have a highly unique character.

To my knowledge there had been 3 FTRP servers run under 3 communities, and one of those runs saw the gamemode renamed to Quarantine Zone Roleplay. The nebulous community had run one of the servers several months prior to the time of writing, and on their forum I made a thread asking why FTRP had failed.

I was blown away by the reponse to the thread. In only 2 days there were 197 replies, and no doubt there were more to come if the thread hadn't been locked. There was obviously a huge collective passion for the concept of the gamemode.

The responses in the thread spoke of a wide range of reasons given for the ending of these servers, with some being common problems in Garry's Mod, and others being unique to the particular gamemode. The thread felt like a lot of pressure was being vented.

I worry that diving into the individual issues from those ~200 posts would likely take a lot of time only to reignite arguments or spark new ones that I'm sure could go on for well more than 2 days.

The point of this post is not to warn future attempts at FTRP about what might go wrong, it's only to respectfully acknowledge the ending of something that a lot of people have invested their efforts into. Potentially the gamemode offered a unique experience, but clearly it wasn't an easy thing to bring to life.

it ended because u have to pay to use stream radio via a toolgun