would you like nebolous to become clockwork again?

would you like nebolous to become clockwork

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I kind off enjoy more playing old clockwork than Helix so idk just give me your oppinions pls
what makes you enjoy clockwork more? the ui and inventory system shouldnt change how peoples characters act and behave, so I dont really understand the drive to go back. its basically the same thing as those people that think we need to regress back to neanderthals with no real explanation why

my best memories in rp are from clockwork but helix is obviously the better choice, I wouldn't want to go back at all since the only difference would be 60 less frames
I will always remember that time my PC crashed while I was loading into nebulous while it still used clockwork

I prefer helix
loading into clockwork used to randomly crash my graphics drivers. it was only when I was loading into clockwork and my motherboard+gpu ended up dying at the hands of roleplay

Reactions: List

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
I still remember the 1 FPS (if lucky) we got during big events

People seem to forget how bad it really was, but Nebulous has a video recorded and uploaded of CW's end if you want to check it out

Simman102

the Scourge of Roleplay
Nebulae
I don’t really understand why people would prefer a less stable, poorly optimized variant for reasons other than nostalgia.
They associate more with the framework than just optimization
The setting, (today) missing features, gameplay mechanics, weaponbase etc.
Surely stuff like the inventory etc can be reconfigured in helix as well
Well, yeah, but it won't, for one reason or another

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
missing features, gameplay mechanics, weaponbase etc.

Weaponbase was jackshit, there were no gameplay mechanics as everything was extremely restricted (and those features that define clockwork, like the white flashes for pain, were hated), and well, we have now double the features we had then, if anything.

So yeah, it's most definitely nostalgia. I also prefer the times of CW more, but if I could go through them with Helix I would.

But we can't turn back time.

ddæ

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
grasping if you think white pain flashes on your screen was a “feature that defined clockwork” tbf

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
Oh yeah maybe I should speak about the sudden errorless crashes on the constant script warnings or the fact the thing could not support more than 10 players or a tickrate that sucked ass or the fact running faster than usual would give you rubber banding or the animations looked scuffed as fuck even for Source standards as they glitched out or running jumping and gunning and bullets not registering at all or the few options you had for equipment or how grenades used to get glitched too or many other things that I can't even remember from the top of my head.

To be fair, maybe the white flashes weren't that bad at all.

Simman102

the Scourge of Roleplay
Nebulae
Weaponbase was jackshit, (and those features that define clockwork, like the white flashes for pain, were hated)
Both of these are subjective
there were no gameplay mechanics as everything was extremely restricted
By gameplay mechanics I meant means of scripts acquisition and PK rules, perhaps I should've made the distinction from code-wise features more clear
and well, we have now double the features we had then, if anything.
From a cop's perspective:
waypoints
pings
scan
grappling
detonating locks through a command
/listcameras
breaking down doors with a fireaxe
shooting a lock to get it open
more reliable attributes
weight-based inventory system
free premium lockers with limited capacity

There is probably much more I don't remember at this point.
Nobody here's saying CW was without a flaw or anything like that, you don't need to jump to scathing it as much as possible. Roosebud asked a question, I was giving him an answer.

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
Both of these are subjective

By gameplay mechanics I meant means of scripts acquisition and PK rules, perhaps I should've made the distinction from code-wise features more clear

waypoints
pings
scan
grappling
/listcameras
more reliable attributes

There is probably much more I don't remember at this point.
Nobody here's saying CW was without a flaw or anything like that, you don't need to jump to scathing it as much as possible. Roosebud asked a question, I was giving him an answer.

Putting aside half of the post doesn't make any point (there are things that still exist in Helix that were disabled, and PK rules are not gameplay mechanics, among other things). I'm not "jumping" or anything, just stating facts, don't get so hissy because someone points out that everyone's looking at CW with incredibly rose tinted glasses and if you were to return you'd like it gone in two days just like everyone did back then cause it was literally unplayable.

Roosebud asked a question, you gave an answer, and I pointed out your answer is based on people's nostalgia lenses.

Like don't get me wrong I wish things were as cool and fresh as back then but just like you pointed out it has nothing to do with the framework, meaning it was the time, the setting, the events and the people rather than being able to break doors down with a fireaxe or seeing your pals' skeletons through walls.

Simman102

the Scourge of Roleplay
Nebulae
Like don't get me wrong I wish things were as cool and fresh as back then but just like you pointed out it has nothing to do with the framework, meaning it was the time, the setting, the events and the people rather than being able to break doors down with a fireaxe or seeing your pals' skeletons through walls.
It's a mix of both, actually. People associate one with the other because that's how memories work.

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
It's a mix of both, actually. People associate one with the other because that's how memories work.

People associating things wrongly does not make it a mix of both but rather the use of something unrelated to justify why someone is feeling bad because nothing will ever be the same.

Also known as coping.

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
waypoints
pings
scan
grappling
/listcameras
more reliable attributes
All things that we intentionally changed or removed, not missing features.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
waypoints
pings
scan
grappling
/listcameras
Even the guy who coded all of these admitted that in hindsight they were horribly imbalanced and he never should have done them tbf.

CW was a fucking janky mess that people only really tolerated because it was all they knew. That isn't to knock anyone's nostalgia, I miss a lot of things, but part of what made it so bearable was people had 5+ years of learning how to exploit it.

Angel

she/her/they nonbinary transfem
Nebulae
Half the cop abilities (pings, waypoints, etc) weren't as OP at the time, considering everyone and their Nan had a SPAS12, a terminator trenchcoat and 1 trillion endurance. When that went away, keeping those would have been ridiculous.

Postal

Molecule
Nebulae
tfw you lost all your stamina so you had to slowly walk and you were unable to use your hands (to punch) for minutes on end oh god the pain of doing fight club events

yes
and now you can't do damage to any npc or break a plant pot but instead can throw a prop 2 feet infront of you

Mute

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
remember having to drop ration packets to climb onto to jump over a fucking sandbag prop blocking a corridor

to add onto that making a new character and then spending the first 2 hours jumping and running around just so you can actually function anywhere in the rebel areas

Mic15000

The Underdog
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
remember having to drop ration packets to climb onto to jump over a fucking sandbag prop blocking a corridor

to add onto that making a new character and then spending the first 2 hours jumping and running around just so you can actually function anywhere in the rebel areas

The benchmark for your jump stat was if you could jump over the shell beach vault in one hop. If you could you had achieved it...

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Like CW was fun due to the characters and shit but as a schema a lot of it was levels of jank that I don't think would be tolerated today and that was with Alex hosting his own private version of it which was leagues better than the commercial version.

If you got more than 12 people together at once it'd start screaming and the server would just regularly crash because it existed in a constant state of torment. LP crashed 2-3 times a day most days as a benchmark lol