WstStranger's Source Modeling Stuff

WstStranger

Proton
Nebulae
Hello there, West here.

So, after seeing very few actually want to model stuff for Source, I decided to take onto the challenge of learning this agony. It is indeed pain, but it's probably worth it if you plan way more than the Source engine.

Anyway, did a few things for neb already plus works in progress.
Soon I show more of my WIPs, but for now here is what I got done so far in HL2RP numbers edition (original work do not steal lol jk do crazy things). May have shown more but those are kinda confidential model works in other servers, so not yet.

This one was a challenge to learn, but I had done it.

It turns out stock soldier anims don't have head movement anims. After figuring out how anims work, and some big chunk of learning by doing... I got it working properly. I recompiled the anims model. For some reason, they could not allow me to do that, so I then did a workaround by implementing the anims to the models themselves.

This is the end result. Requested by Pyromaniac, who tried to figure out yet did not succeed. You can now feel more fluid interactions when Transuhmans move.

image.png
image.png

Susprising is that no one attempted this in any RP server I know.

Also requested by Pyromaniac, but worked with him for this.

The work is pretty straightforward, yet the model itself is a little quirky with how it manages to have good proportions. I learned more about anims and stuff thanks to this.

Pyro did the texturing, I did the recompiling with the Neb anims plus my head movement ones (See above), and added a few bodygroup options myself, like unlit eyes.

image.png
image.png

image.png

image.png

I really hope this thing is used for more than stroking numbers' ego.

also check out the short featuring that model it cool

Anyway, some other way more ambitious thing is on the works and not alone... Soon I post about the concept concretely, but I hint some incredibly customizable citizen models with less storage drag than the bloat the current content has. Its concept will consume RAM yet not frames per second.

Anyway, if you have very cool ideas I may make them reality. That if they don't take that much effort (AKA, making new meshes, having faceposes, new anims, AAA level of work). Don't waste it.

Reactions: List

ovxy

infamous instigator
Media Developer
Premium Member
Nebulae

Numbers

ok
Nebulae
I really hope this thing is used for more than stroking numbers' ego.
Probably not, because the model comes without much function as it makes you harder to conceal, makes everyone focus you in an open environment, and the gun the model is supposed to be using is utter dogshit

I literally only use it when I want to be targeted instead of someone else

WstStranger

Proton
Nebulae
Insane citizen pack [WIP 1: Demonstration of concept]

So, I have been reached by @deathwolf a while ago about citizen models...

After a bit of throwing ideas around on how this can be done, we are basically making the most ambitious citizen model pack so far. Focus in this is having your imagination as the limit by having that many possibilities. So many options I am getting scared of the amount of models gone into the pack. It feels like the entire workshop thrown into one single addon.

So far this future pack would depend on submaterials, and in last resort proper bonemerges would be used. Some of the submaterial stuff could be automated by lua scripting, especially in Helix.

Anyway, here are a few WIP shots as I keep modding the meshes to rule out duplicates or just bad meshes to include in (plus check the meshes for any weird thing done by the original addon creators. If I say so myself, I am not unskilled unlike many ambitious people before me. I have learned quite a lot of modelling, modding meshes and especially working with Source.

The big drawback I am predicting will be a significantly higher consumption of RAM (no shit, lots of triangles in memory), maybe slightly lower framerates, but server performance in Source was crap to begin with (single core go brr). Also a problem to solve will be needing to program scripts to unleash the full potential of it in Helix (will see when the model stuff is done).

image.png
image.png

image.png
image.png

image.png
image.png

Before you ask. Yes, it will also include your outdated 2012 blehsuit due to peer pressure.
image.png

As of now again, I am deleting duplicated meshes or very redundant ones. Also modding a few meshes myself to lower the polygon count as much as humanly possible, and make as many meshes fit like gloves to each other. It turns out a lot of option in these addons are basically retextured vanilla citizen meshes.

Any thoughts, comments or even insults to what I have so far are welcome. Maybe ideas we could take in account, too. After all, I'll take my sweet time on this since perfection is not enough for me.

Who knows if this will be finished before Neb stops with GmodRP (maybe it will, but gotta hurry if so).

Last edited:

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
please tell me there are masks other than the gp5/s10

the css s10 is so dogshit it looks like a canadian c3

WstStranger

Proton
Nebulae
please tell me there are masks other than the gp5/s10

the css s10 is so dogshit it looks like a canadian c3

As a gasmask geek, I say kinda.

image.png

Well, I have a good S10 mesh at last, and I ain't afraid of using it.

image.png

I got this M40 mask from somewhere in the neb addons, but I'm sure I got a more accurate looking one in my downloaded addons. Other than this one, the S10 and something GP5 looking are the only proper gasmasks at my disposal. I just have respirator/facemasks otherwise.

It could be helpful however if I got addons that have done and if possible slightly low poly gas masks to add onto this (I have a M17 gasmask model but I dunno if I really want to put it in, and I think I have a MW2 FM50 mask but it may be too modern for HL2). It gets difficult to me to spend time looking for them already.

also i am held at gunpoint and i will have to include css totally not c3 gasmask but i will do it without awful chopping down horribly like the blehsuit using all black to hide how awfully it was done i guess

WstStranger

Proton
Nebulae
OUTLAND METROCOPS: A SHOWCASE

image.png

With my birthday (unfortunately) fast approaching and as a demonstration of me being able to mod things until they work, I present this as a gift for myself (I finally finished it!!!).

So, numbers iteration leaves the metrocops as outlands auxiliary forces to the proper Overwatch (in terms of auxiliary, they look more like the primary force instead). And since many stick out like sore thumbs, what if the remnants of the Combine gave them more terrain/combat oriented gear? Stray away from their city, somewhat intimidating look with traces of their gear in exchange for survivability. After all, we should grab all that works and to the very least if they still want to stick with the Benefactors.

Police pant stripes reflect light, or are more like cat-eyes. Well, I found a way to imitate that effect, yet not be self illuminating in the absolute dark.
Simply, the parts you mask on some $detail parameters stacked on $detailblendmode 1 will darken later than other parts of the material. This is applied to the pant stripe.

image.png
image.png
In a similar manner to the cateye, I used $detail and stacking to make the glowing parts glow more at the cost of zero Mb. Plus, a small tint alteration to have that effect.

image.png
It turns out NPCs have somewhat old anims. In simple terms, they don't animate all five fingers. Nemez used an approach where he weightpainted the three last fingers to the middle finger bone.

What I did was instead alter the parent of the finger bones (also rename them to avoid broken fingers), went through the $definebone story and got... A similar effect. However, my effect is completely reversible if someone dared decompile from it. So no good original weightpainting is lost as long as there is a small bit of effort from the modder.

Before:
image.png
image.png

After:

image.png
image.png

Take note it is still not a perfect solution, and this is my compromise for NPCs/models that will use Cop anims. Best solution is to make five fingered anims. But, this will do.
Just put a bunch of bones that get affected by physics. Almost everything you see that can jiggle, can jiggle. That's pretty much it, just that never knew I could put so many jigglebones in a single model.

Oh and I made the model's c_hands from scratch since the Model I took this from had hands that were not the worldmodel ones. Was interesting.

image.png

Pretty much got off all the weight of your equipment. Either you are relaxing or got stripped of the privilege of better survival.
image.png

Soft Armor and mostly your city gear. Better than nothing as you get recruited to the hostile lands.
image.png

You got a plate carrier, plus an ability to carry basic rigs. You are way more than dead weight. Keep up.
image.png

Preparing to become a transhuman, or otherwise an important Auxiliary Force, you are given a level of what is like to have full gear and upgrades to your own mask. Lights will not be really for show, though.

In Discord I tend to keep my WIPs, but this thing was huge development for me in learning how to manipulate materials. I also learned baking textures and other Professional modeling stuff. And most importantly: Jigglebones! They are a mess in Source if you aren't careful (and probably expensive), but damn do they look good.

I think at first I approached this sort of thing to fix some mesh flaws in the Nemez models, which gave me agony to look deeply into them. Then, I strayed far enough to makes this my own mini project. I may or may not upload it as a proper addon, depends if people will actually demand it so I go through permissions and stuff (these are basically workshop uploaded HLA, EFT and MWII assets lol). I started this about as early as March of this year, iterating many times.

So far, there are no big plans with this. No one commissioned this unlike most of what I am doing.

Until then, this will be my main model for only myself. There may be many, but this one is mine.

outlandcop2.png

outlandcop.png

Last edited:

deathwolf

I AM SPIDERMAN, GRIST LIES! I AM HIM REALLY! ﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
OUTLAND METROCOPS: A SHOWCASE

image.png

With my birthday (unfortunately) fast approaching and as a demonstration of me being able to mod things until they work, I present this as a gift for myself (I finally finished it!!!).

So, numbers iteration leaves the metrocops as outlands auxiliary forces to the proper Overwatch (in terms of auxiliary, they look more like the primary force instead). And since many stick out like sore thumbs, what if the remnants of the Combine gave them more terrain/combat oriented gear? Stray away from their city, somewhat intimidating look with traces of their gear in exchange for survivability. After all, we should grab all that works and to the very least if they still want to stick with the Benefactors.

Police pant stripes reflect light, or are more like cat-eyes. Well, I found a way to imitate that effect, yet not be self illuminating in the absolute dark.
Simply, the parts you mask on some $detail parameters stacked on $detailblendmode 1 will darken later than other parts of the material. This is applied to the pant stripe.

image.png
image.png
In a similar manner to the cateye, I used $detail and stacking to make the glowing parts glow more at the cost of zero Mb. Plus, a small tint alteration to have that effect.

image.png
It turns out NPCs have somewhat old anims. In simple terms, they don't animate all five fingers. Nemez used an approach where he weightpainted the three last fingers to the middle finger bone.

What I did was instead alter the parent of the finger bones (also rename them to avoid broken fingers), went through the $definebone story and got... A similar effect. However, my effect is completely reversible if someone dared decompile from it. So no good original weightpainting is lost as long as there is a small bit of effort from the modder.

Before:
image.png
image.png

After:

image.png
image.png

Take note it is still not a perfect solution, and this is my compromise for NPCs/models that will use Cop anims. Best solution is to make five fingered anims. But, this will do.
Just put a bunch of bones that get affected by physics. Almost everything you see that can jiggle, can jiggle. That's pretty much it, just that never knew I could put so many jigglebones in a single model.

Oh and I made the model's c_hands from scratch since the Model I took this from had hands that were not the worldmodel ones. Was interesting.

image.png

Pretty much got off all the weight of your equipment. Either you are relaxing or got stripped of the privilege of better survival.
image.png

Soft Armor and mostly your city gear. Better than nothing as you get recruited to the hostile lands.
image.png

You got a plate carrier, plus an ability to carry basic rigs. You are way more than dead weight. Keep up.
image.png

Preparing to become a transhuman, or otherwise an important Auxiliary Force, you are given a level of what is like to have full gear and upgrades to your own mask. Lights will not be really for show, though.

In Discord I tend to keep my WIPs, but this thing was huge development for me in learning how to manipulate materials. I also learned baking textures and other Professional modeling stuff. And most importantly: Jigglebones! They are a mess in Source if you aren't careful (and probably expensive), but damn do they look good.

I think at first I approached this sort of thing to fix some mesh flaws in the Nemez models, which gave me agony to look deeply into them. Then, I strayed far enough to makes this my own mini project. I may or may not upload it as a proper addon, depends if people will actually demand it so I go through permissions and stuff (these are basically workshop uploaded HLA, EFT and MWII assets lol). I started this about as early as March of this year, iterating many times.

So far, there are no big plans with this. No one commissioned this unlike most of what I am doing.

Until then, this will be my main model for only myself. There may be many, but this one is mine.
@Numbers this shits insane

WstStranger

Proton
Nebulae
NEMEZ METROCOPS: WHY AM I REMAKING THIS
also nemez approved

copshowcase0.png

blender is good for renders, cool lights

An addon name that needs no introduction to those in the Numbers HL2RP server. But to keep it simple: This is a remake of the cop models used in this iteration, made originally by nemez. So, I personally liked the addon and such is my desire for improvement on anything that I observed a few flaws in its execution.

Now, I made this one project not much after I did the outland cops, as the lessons learned from my previous project made me absolutely able to take onto the challenge of redoing popular work.

I will keep this briefer, as the addon itself has the walls of infodump. So I made this because I could, especially to start out my Source modding presence.

Added new bodygroups (with more on the way)

New hand rig using helper bones. Should you really want to do it, you will find yourself with a very precisely moving hand rig for any ancient 2004 human anims.

And in essence, a reexecuted model architecture, adapting more to the natural human shape for everything added into it using the lessons learned from this year of experience in modeling.

If I get reached out, I may or may not adapt this thing to HL2RP. I just need the call and some motivation/gain from it. I can't make free stuff forever you know.

Addon here (Gmod)

Hope you like this usable work and find something out of it, as I even made my own compiling assets open (more people should do that). I will keep improving on it until I think I have done everything to go beyond perfection.