Serious y or z as up?

In a 3d space, what would you consider to be height?

• y

Votes: 18 75.0%
  • z

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters

Trissy

Privacy Connoisseur
Nebulae
Some professional stuffs that use...

Y as up: Unity, ZBrush, Maya, DirectX, OpenGL

Z as up: Unreal Engine, 3ds Max, Source, CryEngine, Blender

The funny thing is, Maya and 3ds Max are both made by the same company. You'd think they would be the same but nope.

UPDATE: Looking at a Wikipedia page for the cartesian coordinate system, I found that their depiction of third dimensional space also has z as up.

tF62j4n.png

Last edited:

Trissy

Privacy Connoisseur
Nebulae
up is y, left and right is x, foward and back is z.

didn't everyone learn that in math?
My thoughts as well, but apparently some places they teach y as depth and z as height, once depth is introduced.

EDIT: Also look at the programs I listed where y is depth. Must be some people in this crazy world who believe y is more correct for depth.

jb

Atom
B A N N E D
Nebulae
My thoughts as well, but apparently some places they teach y as depth and z as height, once depth is introduced.

EDIT: Also look at the programs I listed where y is depth. Must be some people in this crazy world who believe y is more correct for depth.
some crazy 3rd world country

like french canada

Reactions: List

Trissy

Privacy Connoisseur
Nebulae
If you were taught that z should be up, I would really love it if you told me which country you went to school in, or if you're from the US, which state. Maybe there's a connection there, like the imperial system vs the metric system.

Todias

Electron
Nebulae
If you were taught that z should be up, I would really love it if you told me which country you went to school in, or if you're from the US, which state. Maybe there's a connection there, like the imperial system vs the metric system.
As far as I'm concerned, being from both Northern and Southern Education Systems, Y is always considered up/rise, whereas Z is depth. However, I can't speak for the WHOLE country. Some school systems have different teaching methods but relatively similar subjects.

jb

Atom
B A N N E D
Nebulae
As far as I'm concerned, being from both Northern and Southern Education Systems, Y is always considered up/rise, whereas Z is depth. However, I can't speak for the WHOLE country. Some school systems have different teaching methods but relatively similar subjects.
yeah the special schools

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Wait.

X and Y in a 2d space is X= Left/Right and Y=Up/Down

Why the fuck would Y change in a 3d space?

Todias

Electron
Nebulae
Wait.

X and Y in a 2d space is X= Left/Right and Y=Up/Down

Exactly our point. It's a bit off that someone would alter a dimension for their belief.

After thinking about this for a bit, it could just be perspective. I looked at what @Trissy linked for the wikipedia picture and it looks like they still consider X and Y to be run/rise. They may just alter the way the image is looked at for a preference. However, that's my theory.

Trissy

Privacy Connoisseur
Nebulae
This is exactly the question I hope to find an answer to. As far as I know, there is no logical sense to changing x/y when adding a dimension, yet a lot of professional programs use z as up/down.

There must be some kind of academical explanation to why z should be height instead of y.

They may just alter the way the image is looked at for a preference.
That would be a very strange thing to do. Also, working in 3ds Max I can tell you that it's not a matter of perspective.

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
Swear I've seen this discussion already.

Nebulae
The funny thing is, Maya and 3ds Max are both made by the same company. You'd think they would be the same but nope.
https://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/46225/why-is-y-up-in-many-games
googled it, had some info there^.

The distinction is pretty arbitrary, Maya and 3DS Max are different according to some poster in that thread because:

"You can see that kind of distinction between the two biggest 3D art tools: 3ds max and Maya. The Z axis is up in 3ds max because that grew out of architectural tools, while the Y axis is up in Maya because that grew out of movie-making tools"

Trissy

Privacy Connoisseur
Nebulae
https://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/46225/why-is-y-up-in-many-games
googled it, had some info there^.

The distinction is pretty arbitrary, Maya and 3DS Max are different according to some poster in that thread because:

"You can see that kind of distinction between the two biggest 3D art tools: 3ds max and Maya. The Z axis is up in 3ds max because that grew out of architectural tools, while the Y axis is up in Maya because that grew out of movie-making tools"
You're a hero, thanks!

EDIT: Probably should've just googled it my self, but at least I got some discussions out of it.