zak unreleased map thread

Zak

Resident xenophile
Nebulae
Inspired by @Bastion's thread of a similar style, check it out here. Lord knows I've got plenty of half-finished projects that I'm never gonna get around to finishing for one reason or the other, might as well prevent them from going COMPLETELY to waste.

I'll just post videos, and then try to explain what's going on to the best of my knowledge. Each video name will be the name of the map file being displayed. Haven't touched some of these maps in literal years, so a lot of the time I'll probably just be guessing what I was trying to do.

One of the conceptual HL2RP campaign maps. Pretty simple, the idea was gonna be players fighting between two concurrently-running trains. Some kind of story about having to hijack the trains and killing everyone aboard, which would put the rebels in a really bad light for once instead of just "reble are saver of humans" which happens in most events. Likely abandoned the idea because, as cool as it sounds, having players fight between moving trains would be a logistical nightmare of "!help wtf i fell off" and "this event sucks there's not enough cover we're just getting wallbanged constantly".

Some sort of event where a small squad of rebels were fighting across rooftops to eventually reach a big Overwatch Nexus and potentially turn the tide of the open rebellion happening in some other city. One of the more completed ones, maybe I'll come back to it some day. Occasionally you'll see me noclip through walls to push buttons, this was so admins could set the pace more easily. Spawn more or less enemies, only activate scripted sequences once everyone was ready, etc etc.

My own little attempt at a HL2-style menu background. Didn't get very far, since there's no lighting, the textures are pretty poor, and there isn't nearly as many scripted sequences as actual HL2 backgrounds.

In truth, I have no fucking clue why I made this. It's pretty funny though.

An old conceptual Frundtech base. Some parts of it were pretty cool, I guess. Might re-use some areas for Willard Industries, especially the airlock. That took a lot of scripting, but I quite like scripting and all sorts of other I/O stuff. Might've noticed that as a running theme, my maps have better I/O scripting than the visuals and brushwork.

Oh look I can't embed any more videos. Oh well, time for the alternative.

i17_intro_1.vmf
I don't remember what I was doing here. Lots of NPCs and scripting on a small portion of Industrial17 V2. No clue what I was trying to accomplish, but if I remember what I was doing, I'll update the thread.

halo3.vmf
Seems to be a fullbright, greyboxed, unfinished mockup of the exterior of the first barrier tower from the level The Covenant from, as the name implies, Halo 3. Really didn't get very far with this one, might eventually do something in Unreal Engine like this. Is it bad that I immediately recognized the location despite not having opened the map in months? Wouldn't be the first time, though, I've also got a WIP of the control room from Halo CE.

streetwar_intro.vmf
By far the most aesthetically pleasing of the bunch, at least in my opinion. It's the intro to what was going to be Part 2 of rooftops1.vmf and before you say it, yes I started developing the sequel before I finished the original. I like the rain and the mist, adds an almost otherworldly vibe to the whole thing. Bonus points if you can recognize what this whole map was based off of. Might be a somewhat obscure reference, but as soon as you see it, you won't be able to unsee it.

rp_city45_destroyed.vmf
I'm sure @Lemon Cuntcake will recognize this one immediately. This was going to be the map for City of the Roleplay, but I never finished it in time. Now it lays here, consigned to the "Hammer - Unfinished Projects" folder of my second hard drive, patiently waiting for the event it was supposed to service. Maybe one day I'll turn this into something. Maybe. I've always liked the damaged Citadel ambience, after all...

lp_breakingpoint.vmf
This one is probably among the most heavily scripted event idea I've started and then abandoned. The event concept was a rebel group attacked a razor train in an attempt to save a VIP from being taken to a conversion camp, but along the way said VIP ended up destroying the building he was in to prevent his own capture. The players were then taken to a conversion camp, and due to miscommunication, the rebel group launched an assault on the camp to try and secure the VIP, not knowing he was dead. After finding out that he was actually killed, they cut their losses and everyone evacuates. Maybe I'll get around to finishing this one day.

Has some pretty cool scripted bits. The sniper on the ridge will occasionally scan the area, but if you poke out of the bushes while trying to sneak past he'll start firing randomly into them in an attempt to kill you, unless he directly sees a player in which case he'll prefer them as a target.

outlands1.vmf
Don't remember too much about this map, but it has a cool bit of forced perspective at the start to trick you into thinking the forest is far bigger than it actually is. Seems like it was the start of a singleplayer campaign, no clue though.

Reactions: List

LykosNychi

Nucleus
Nebulae
This one is probably among the most heavily scripted event idea I've started and then abandoned. The event concept was a rebel group attacked a razor train in an attempt to save a VIP from being taken to a conversion camp, but along the way said VIP ended up destroying the building he was in to prevent his own capture. The players were then taken to a conversion camp, and due to miscommunication, the rebel group launched an assault on the camp to try and secure the VIP, not knowing he was dead. After finding out that he was actually killed, they cut their losses and everyone evacuates. Maybe I'll get around to finishing this one day.

Has some pretty cool scripted bits. The sniper on the ridge will occasionally scan the area, but if you poke out of the bushes while trying to sneak past he'll start firing randomly into them in an attempt to kill you, unless he directly sees a player in which case he'll prefer them as a target.
I remember this one. Was some cool shit, had you more excited than a 5 year old in a candy store.

lemon

Sells cheap beer
Nebulae
I'm sure @Lemon Cuntcake will recognize this one immediately. This was going to be the map for City of the Roleplay, but I never finished it in time. Now it lays here, consigned to the "Hammer - Unfinished Projects" folder of my second hard drive, patiently waiting for the event it was supposed to service. Maybe one day I'll turn this into something. Maybe. I've always liked the damaged Citadel ambience, after all...
I'd honestly love to get it just at it is right now, if it has HDR lighting. Could use it in SFM, as it's gorgeous

Zak

Resident xenophile
Nebulae
I'd honestly love to get it just at it is right now, if it has HDR lighting. Could use it in SFM, as it's gorgeous
Visibility is broken, there's massive flaws with some of the brushwork, and there's a few gaps that expose the skybox.