Serious A HL2RP² Critique: Why I no longer enjoy it as a rebel main

Nebulae
not necessarily, on ashville and apocalypse i found myself often either getting ignored or wandering around without being able to find anyone who was willing to sit down and rp with someone who wasn't wearing combat gear

that was asheville and apocalypse

not to be dismissive of the issues of your time, but the server genuinely goes through a minor transformation every other month at the current pace with how often we change maps and how quickly the storyline moves forward. this isn't cityRP where things are made to stagnate on purpose in the name of 'sustainability', we genuinely throw shit at the wall on a consistent basis and i can guarantee that what you found missing in those maps is very much present in the current one, since we actually planned the content for ineu ahead of time instead of dropping players into an empty sandbox from the get-go

Numbers

ok
Nebulae
i think its more so the aimlessness that inevitably comes with an open ended server by default

a lot of "downtime" where "nothing" (no big things with impact) happens and you just kinda wander around with no-one to be found
ngl, this boils down into how much writing you can put into a character, what motivation you want to give them

i can't say thats a problem of the formula, though, I think the depth/shallowness of characters shows more when you arent plummeted in a setting that writes your character for you (city rp, you need food, go grind, need tokens to survive/be cop to survive/follow faction rules)

theres been a healthy amount of downtime conflict between groups, stuff that didnt have to erupt into a bloodbath that sends u back to character creation menu

Reactions: List

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
that was asheville and apocalypse

not to be dismissive of the issues of your time, but the server genuinely goes through a minor transformation every other month at the current pace with how often we change maps and how quickly the storyline moves forward. this isn't cityRP where things are made to stagnate on purpose in the name of 'sustainability', we genuinely throw shit at the wall on a consistent basis and i can guarantee that what you found missing in those maps is very much present in the current one, since we actually planned the content ahead of time instead of dropping players into an empty sandbox from the get-go
yeah i haven't played since because of literally being unable to put time into it entirely - i'll definitely try it again to see the new stuff

ngl, this boils down into how much writing you can put into a character, what motivation you want to give them

i can't say thats a problem of the formula, though, I think the depth/shallowness of characters shows more when you arent plummeted in a setting that writes your character for you (city rp, you need food, go grind, need tokens to survive/be cop to survive/follow faction rules)

theres been a healthy amount of downtime conflict between groups, stuff that didnt have to erupt into a bloodbath that sends u back to character creation menu
the character in question is ironically probably the one i've put the most effort into since we swapped to helix originally, and i found a lot of other characters around me to just be unwilling to engage in meaningful conversation/rp

slick

give this guy his adm*n back
Nebulae
not necessarily, on ashville and apocalypse i found myself often either getting ignored or wandering around without being able to find anyone who was willing to sit down and rp with someone who wasn't wearing combat gear

Combine side was way better, in that regard - a lot of creativity and effort was put into it by the players at all times which was very visible and easy to partake in
i experienced something similar, which is why i’ve been solely playing combine since depot. i’m not sure what you can really do about it, can’t force players to interact with eachother.
i don’t think this is it though, i’ve got a geared out rebel, full backstory but i’m not in a group nor do i really want to be. it quite legitimately boils down to people not wanting to interact with you unless you derive some sort of benefit to them (joining their group, trading, etc.), tale as old as time.

Nebulae
the character in question is ironically probably the one i've put the most effort into since we swapped to helix originally, and i found a lot of other characters around me to just be unwilling to engage in meaningful conversation/rp
this really depends on what state of being you come into the game with.
the same formula goes IRL, and life's interactions and events, when you always live from the end of having the best experience, and the finest of interactions, you wear a certain MOOD, that mood gives way to ASSUMPTIONS,
then your good fine assumptions, result in automatic good experiences.

define what you want,
you want quality fun event rp? or deep talk interaction rp, or adventure rp
assume that you had it, wear the mood as if it were true, and see it unfold

this is the forumla, legit. try it, costs you nothing.
never failed me once in life.
all is dynamic, from your state.

clockwork had way less fluid character interaction opportunities compared to what we have now,
now is peak hl2rp era, with characters being independent, free, and interactive, compared to clockwork where nothing happened, so u ran of things to do or discuss
nor had a lavish staff as exists now, to forge rp to amazingness.
back then it was way too stagnent.

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
this really depends on what state of being you come into the game with.
the same formula goes IRL, and life's interactions and events, when you always live from the end of having the best experience, and the finest of interactions, you wear a certain MOOD, that mood gives way to ASSUMPTIONS,
then your good fine assumptions, result in automatic good experiences.

define what you want,
you want quality fun event rp? or deep talk interaction rp, or adventure rp
assume that you had it, wear the mood as if it were true, and see it unfold

this is the forumla, legit. try it, costs you nothing.
never failed me once in life.
all is dynamic, from your state.

clockwork had way less fluid character interaction opportunities compared to what we have now,
now is peak hl2rp era, with characters being independent, free, and interactive, compared to clockwork where nothing happened, so u ran of things to do or discuss
nor had a lavish staff as exists now, to forge rp to amazingness.
back then it was way too stagnent.
I can appreciate you trying to convey some sort of message here, but this is just one big schizo post structurally and content wise - sorry

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Tbh I think RebelRP suffers because the average rebel has been conditioned for years to say or do whatever they need to do to stay alive or get more of x/y, even if they break what little character they have to do it. It was an ongoing joke that you could take the absolute worst rebel characters on the main server and put them in an event and they'd suddenly do a 180 in quality, effort and motivation just to be heroes then go right back to killing bluesuits an hour after they return.

By contrast, the Combine factions usually weren't given events to develop them. They got drip-fed shit at best and that meant they had to put more effort on the main server if they actually wanted to, well, develop themselves.

Doesn't shock me that when put in a vaccum outside of CityRp that the trends would (mostly) hold up.

Last edited: