Serious A HL2RP² Critique: Why I no longer enjoy it as a rebel main

Anti-tankspy

Nucleus
Nebulae
Based off of P&M's critique of Civil Protection (albeit im nowhere near as great of a writer as they are), I have decided to let out how I feel about HL2RP in a thread like these.

I've decided to make this thread as small as I possibly can in order to structure it to a short, albeit fruitful read instead of a long one. I'm also going to be blunt and brutally honest about everything I'm going to say. Excuse me if I sound too blunt; I don't mean for this thread to come off as a rude jab.

I tried my best, so here it is:

the problem

After speaking with @TedHatty and a few other resistance leaders, we've all came to the conclusion that the problem is not with the rebels, not with the Combine; but with the formula of the server itself. Everything that is structured within the formula makes the server feel, like TedHatty put it simply, 'a milsim/playground for combine'. The server, in its current state, feels like it's been made only for Combine players to enjoy, with the resistance existing for the sole purpose of being an easy OpFor faction.

The Combine faction has a lot of OOC advantages over its adversary; to name a few, vendors with infinite basic supplies and weapons, Airwatch vehicles, whose pilots almost always exploited the 'silent' bug, an encrypted radio frequency; I could write a hundred page book of the OOC advantages the Combine faction has, but I will keep it short and simple as to not overextend the thread.

What demoralized me personally, and in accordance with this map, is that the Combine always get an hour warning beforehand before the rebels are about to raid Agora. On the other hand, when rebels lost Agora, they were given no warnings of any impeding Combine raids. Sure, there may have been a hefty number of rebels within Agora at that time, but most of rebels go to Agora to roleplay and not S2K. We had no defenses, and we were most certainly not ready for an attack, as again, most rebels go to Agora for the sole purpose of roleplaying and trading. The last two raids, combined with the massive flak and shit-flinging I took despite the fact that what happened was out of my control, have taken away all of my energy to play and contribute actively to the server.

There's also the problem of us getting massively exaggerated reports whenever Combine players get into an ill-witted encounter with the rebels. Such things being loudly and shitflinged about on the resistance discord, again, in an exaggerated manner has done nothing but internally enforce the 'COMBINE PSYOPP!!!!' mentality, further increasing OOC strain between rebels and Combine. Saying 'X AND Y AND Z HAPPENED THIS SUCKS!!!', instead of saying the truthful 'X happened. It kinda sucked.' makes it a lot more difficult and annoying to tackle the issue.

(This is something I was told about. I'm not sure how reliable this information is) There is also the issue of any suggestion coming from 'rebel leads' being instantly shut down in the private discord chats. Each side is at the other's throat for suggesting something that is different to the current formula, particularly cell leads who have access to the staff chat, nearly everything that is suggested, particularly by rebel mains, is instantly shutdown by whataboutism from everyone else, which further enforces the mindset of everyone having the second thought of Season 2 being made solely for the Combine to enjoy and no one else. The existence of tunnel-minded leadership, the same leadership that plays only one side and acts all-knowing when it comes to the issues of the other, does nothing but inflate drama and enforce the mindset I've spoken with. The leadership of the server itself has also contributed massively to this matter.

Combine players can pull the 'simply a difference in the skill gap' card, and, I have to wholeheartedly agree, as a rebel main, this is somewhat true. Not only do most rebels lack sportsmanship, but many are engrained with the ego of an insolent, angsty 12 year old when told to do something, whatever it may be. I can recall plenty of incidents when this was the case, but again, for the matter of not overextending this thread and keeping it as short and simple as possible, I'll not mention them. I have voiced my concern about the separate cell system from day one, and said that it would case problems in the long-term. Then again, only so much can be said nor done when you're just one of the many players. This is easy to say when your way to recover from a devastating loss is to press E on a vendor and not wait a couple of days to properly resupply yourself.

I also find it a bit weird how CivPro and OTA have and are able to access the many weapons of the resistance, yet the world goes up in flames when staff know that someone has an AR2/gene-locked weapon. What's going to happen if John Bucharest S2Ks an OTA with an AR2? It is quite literally a canon part of Half Life 2 that the AR2 is in widespread usage. It is understandable that the HL:A weapons are locked away, which is lore-accurate, but why is there talk to restrict the AR2s suddenly when some people in the resistance get access to them?

Yet, at the same time, some in the Combine are allowed free-access to the high-tier Earthly weapons (AKs, G3s etc)? I also find it very fishy how the SPAS-12 was nerfed as soon as it fell into rebel hands in a wider scale. Think about it. My complaint here is not only about the action; but the mindset behind it. It's almost as if server leadership is trying to be as restrictive as possible, while at the same time, making it easy game for the Combine faction, alongside the many advantages they have over the rebels. Like I've said before, we're no longer on CityRP. No one will treat you like Freeman's half-sibling if they know you have more than three guns. Nobody cares anymore about how many or what guns do you have; this is an iteration where conflict is everywhere, and you will inevitably lose the gun you have once you start using it in combat. It is part of the server.

Each side is meant to overcome the other's strength and improve. Not absolutely curbstomp one and write a song and sing and laugh about it. Everything I wrote so far is a good way to fuck up this balance.

---------------------------------------------------

All of the above, combined with the inaction, which frustrates me the most, contribute to my willingness to not spend any of my time on the server. It just seems like the server in its current state, in fact, is just a big playground for Combine players, and specifically OTA. This is the problem. What is the solution?

the solution

There needs to be some serious consideration in reforming the formula of how the rebels, in particular work. Like @OneClassyBanana said a long time ago, the Combine shouldn't be made weaker to be equal to their adversary, but rather the rebels should have an effective counter to everything the Combine has. The world won't fall to hell if, for example, the rebels get a vendor like the Combine. You might say that the current on-server solution for this is 'trade with agora/emergents bro!!!'. I'm sorry to say this, and I'll be brutally honest, but doing both is starting to become next-to-impossible. Because of the last few raids, I've been starting to run out of valuable things to trade, due to the sheer amount of people who died. Trading with the emergents is also no longer a viable option as the NPC tool got removed, making a raid on the antlion caves unfeasible at the current time. Nothing's going to happen if you start putting more powerful basic weaponry in the stock vendor. Just because we have a Skorpion with a 20 bullet magazine capacity in the vendor, doesn't mean it's a valid excuse for Combine to have batteries, USPs and MP5/7s in theirs. You might say we have the weekly supply system for that, but it's surely understandable how grueling it is to sit on 0/0 armor for a week until you're able to request more supplies. Like I've said previously, it's quite unfair how the Combine can easily and almost instantly recover through a vendor from a loss, while most rebels need to wait a day or two to recover from something such as this.

It's also getting massively annoying how we have to switch frequencies every 0.1 second because they can easily be hijacked. All you need is a handheld radio (available on a wide scale to both factions) and zipties to search a rebel, then you have free access. This is stupid, bothersome, and to put it bluntly, unfair. I am forced to play Tetris with the inventory system with the amount of radios I have in my storage, due to how easy it is to get onto the resistance frequency. So many things are made easy game for the Combine regarding this, as they can casually listen to everything we're saying, and this resulted in us sharing important information on Discord VC (which borderlines on metagame). Seriously. Just give us an encrypted TAC of our own already.

Something also needs to be done regarding the current 'cell system'. Many people might not see this, but this is contributing the ego problem I spoke about early on. The rebels, as out and unorganized as they currently are, need a proper structure in order to function the properly. In order to properly lead rebels in their current form, you have to micromanage everything. As simple as it looks, this is quite a stressful and unfruitful process most of the time. The main reason behind this, like I've said, is that rebels currently have no structure besides the cell system. Combine don't have this problem as they exist ICly and OOCly as one entity with a shared structure. I'm not saying rebels should have the same structure as the Combine, but at least something similar to it. Controlling everything the way it currently is is very grueling and not fun.

There needs to be far more activity and elaboration on the objectives of the resistance. Ever since we've map-switched from the Alps, I still don't understand what we're supposed to be doing, only that I understood our contract is to protect Agora when I asked @Appetite Ruining Kebab about it. There is no clear way that this is put, ingame or outside of it. Most rebel mains are clueless on why they're here, only that their contract with Lambda ended.

The gameplay needs to feel more symmetrical. Each side should have an advantage over the other, and have the means to counter said advantage. To put it bluntly in a way everyone can understand: Both sides should be fucking each other up on a daily basis. Not one side should be curbstomped by the other. This is the way to achieve the balance. You lose an engagement, recover, start a new one and win, and the cycle repeats, for both factions. This is the way you're going to achieve the balance. Keeping it on one side is going to destroy that balance. Everything needs its own advantage, and everything needs its own counter-advantage.

@Northgate can confirm this, but a couple of years back, a server known as Half-Life: Warzone existed. To keep things short, it kept gameplay and combat between Rebels and the Combine symmetrical to a T. Both had encrypted frequencies, both had a structure, both had vendors, both could access the same weapons (minus the genelocked HL:A shit), you name it. And, for a time, the gameplay there felt very nice and entertaining, despite very questionable roleplay quality (which was more of a staff and playerbase issue than a formula one). I'm not saying we should do the same and arm everyone and their grandmothers with AKs and M4s. Like I said; advantage, and counter-advantage. It is that simple.

-----------------------------------------

tl;dr:
make it more symmetrical and less combine milsim, conflict on combine is much more fun than conflict on rebels

that is all thank you very much and please don't be offended

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
I also find it a bit weird how CivPro and OTA have and are able to access the many weapons of the resistance, yet the world goes up in flames when staff know that someone has an AR2/gene-locked weapon. What's going to happen if John Bucharest S2Ks an OTA with an AR2?
Just going to to point out this was thought about earlier in the iteration and the whole combine-can't-use-foreign-weapons stuff & the genemodding restriction both feel like unnecessary direct intervention to stifle this for both sides.

Obviously, the insurgency is not going to get easy access to pulse rounds and the civil protectorate cannot manufacture large amounts of ammunition to keep their nonstandard relics in constant use. Dumping additional restrictions seems rather unnecessary considering a core (early) tenent of the server was that the combine forces were slowly unraveling to mindless paramilitaries free of protocol and the rebellion was gaining ground -- but losing far too many. Not exactly the case considering what's happening right now, but something to reflect on.

Reactions: List

Ron

Developer
Developer
HL2 RP Server Director
Nebulae
is that the Combine always get an hour warning beforehand before the rebels are about to raid Agora.
They're not supposed to.
There is also the issue of any suggestion coming from 'rebel leads' being instantly shut down in the private discord chats.
I'm not too sure where this is coming from considering my DMs are always open to discussion and I have discussed things with ARK before.
What's going to happen if John Bucharest S2Ks an OTA with an AR2?
Nothing? I S2K'd OTA on my Rebel with my AR2 a week ago during a villa raid and nothing came of it. No one cares about weapon drops anymore.
how the SPAS-12 was nerfed as soon as it fell into rebel hands in a wider scale.
Fun fact, it was actually hot-fix nerfed after Sky used it to shoot someone from one side of the C24's park to the other and 1 pellet hit someone. And further nerfed (unintentionally) by all guns having damage be based on ammo type. Sorry your conspiracy theory isn't real.
the rebels get a vendor like the Combine.
They do. I think it should include more things like armor scraps and bandages.

Nebulae
considering a core (early) tenent of the server was that the combine forces were slowly unraveling to mindless paramilitaries free of protocol and the rebellion was gaining ground -- but losing far too many. Not exactly the case considering what's happening right now, but something to reflect on.

the (unfortunate) trend seems to be centralization (spurred on by the devolution of the server into s2k maybe?) of the civipro/combine faction... new leads, new blood, we'll see how it goes. if, instead of aligning with the narrative of a crumbling empire, combine ooc leadership finds it more suitable to keep the faction in its status quo or, god forbid, centralize further, then people with RP and narrative in mind need to take it into their own hands and split. ive always wanted a three-way war arc.

Anti-tankspy

Nucleus
Nebulae
They're not supposed to.
They got alarms. On both raids.

Nothing? I S2K'd OTA on my Rebel with my AR2 a week ago during a villa raid and nothing came of it. No one cares about weapon drops anymore.
Why are both (new and old) getting gene restricted? New AR2 is understandable, but why are there talks of restricting the old one too?

Fun fact, it was actually hot-fix nerfed after Sky used it to shoot someone from one side of the C24's park to the other and 1 pellet hit someone. And further nerfed (unintentionally) by all guns having damage be based on ammo type. Sorry your conspiracy theory isn't real.
I'm not trying to shitfling nor start 'conspiracy theories'. There's no need for the attitude; I just believe it was made that way because it happened as soon as it fell to widespread usage within rebels.
They do. I think it should include more things like armor scraps and bandages.
Yeah. The Skorpion and the Makarov will even the odds against a Combine vendor filled with far other things.

The existence of tunnel-minded leadership, the same leadership that plays only one side and acts all-knowing when it comes to the issues of the other, does nothing but inflate drama and enforce the mindset I've spoken with.

I'm not too sure where this is coming from considering my DMs are always open to discussion and I have discussed things with ARK before.

I was referring to the staff chat which some rebel leads with staff permission have access too. Other staff who see the chat confirmed that suggestions from rebel players were being constantly shut down left and right.

Ron

Developer
Developer
HL2 RP Server Director
Nebulae
They got alarms. On both raids.
Again, they're not supposed to.
Why are both (new and old) getting gene restricted? New AR2 is understandable, but why are there talks of restricting the old one too?
That's not up to me and my understanding was legacy AR2s would remain unrestricted and I agree with that.
I'm not trying to shitfling nor start 'conspiracy theories'. There's no need for the attitude; I just believe it was made that way because it happened as soon as it fell to widespread usage within rebels.
You could always ask instead of making an accusation in the future.
I was referring to the staff chat which some rebel leads with staff permission have access too. Other staff who see the chat confirmed that suggestions from rebel players were being constantly shut down left and right.
I wouldn't say this considering that several of the ideas are agreed with and several people acknowledged an issue. That's all I'll say in regards to the private chat, though.

Even outside of that chat, though, me and ARK have been working together to make it more fair to the rebels on several fronts. There's a couple changes pending that require code-work, but we worked out together to make it more balanced. You may not see it, but there is work being done in the background to make things more balanced for rebels and Combine.

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
Yeah. The Skorpion and the Makarov will even the odds against a Combine vendor filled with far other things.
To be honest the VPO should be there too, it's got a measly 10 (+1) rounds in exchange for reasonable damage.

USP = Makarov
MP5 = Skorpion
MP7 = VPO

This is stupid, bothersome, and to put it bluntly, unfair. I am forced to play Tetris with the inventory system with the amount of radios I have in my storage, due to how easy it is to get onto the resistance frequency.
Also, you really should be adopting temporary frequencies for conducting operations and changing them immediately once the fighting's over. Not relaying important/damaging information over public frequencies. Avoiding mouthing off over the radio. Etc.

This is why Orsted never had the problems others seem to be experiencing.

Hunk

Extraction Point
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Staff has acknowledged this problem not too long ago before this thread was put up,

Works to fix this have already started. For exemple: the rebooting of the Combine plotline, which was decided to be given priority since the Combine did not see any actual roleplay and sat on the bunker 24/7 waiting deployment.

We have assigned some staff members to reboot rebel plotline too since thats what they were motivated for

In regards of rebel supplies, in case, anyone has doubts: you are free to request supplies from Bucharest via forum dm with @Hunk , @Erid and @Appetite Ruining Kebab . It's that simple. Cells that havent been receiving supplies its not our fault.

Additionally, and before someone pulls out the good old "s2k cult always wins" story: the people who effectivily did this have either been remove or are just not / never been part of Staff. There is no point in continuing to point that out when there is no one in staff chat that has any sort of cringe bias for the Combine faction

Ron

Developer
Developer
HL2 RP Server Director
Nebulae
There is no point in continuing to point that out when there is no one in staff chat that has any sort of cringe bias for the Combine faction
This 100 times over. Almost every staff member with a combine char plays both sides (myself included) and there is no division in the staff team about rebel and combine staff/bias. Not every suggestion brought fourth is agreed on, but there is no overarching Combine/Rebel bias in the staff/dev team.

Trains

ms paint artist extraordinaire
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
This 100 times over. Almost every staff member with a combine char plays both sides (myself included) and there is no division in the staff team about rebel and combine staff/bias. Not every suggestion brought fourth is agreed on, but there is no overarching Combine/Rebel bias in the staff/dev team.
this is the main thing

we need a bit of time to sort our shit out because it’s been like 2 days but things will change

ShockyC

Neutrino
Nebulae
To be honest the VPO should be there too, it's got a measly 10 (+1) rounds in exchange for reasonable damage.

USP = Makarov
MP5 = Skorpion
MP7 = VPO
I think it'd be better if it was MP7 = MP40/M3 Grease Gun

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
that would be a counterpart to the MP5, neither of those are adequate to the MP7 except in ammunition count and both fall short by 15 rounds anyway

Trains

HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
add mp5 or something why we using all these goofy ww2 guns

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
heckler and koch are gonna sue the insurgency then

lambda ain't got the money for that, they had to go with bootleg weapons

Hunk

Extraction Point
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
heckler and koch are gonna sue the insurgency then

lambda ain't got the money for that, they had to go with bootleg weapons

Lambda is significantly poorer in weapons than the Bucharest State because Lambda relies on black market supply routes that are often sabotaged

Bucharest State has its own factories + has one of the largest old soviet weapons depot (in Romania)

we brought those factors to the gameplay and that's why you probably received shit weapons by lambda and now are given AKs on demand by the Romanians. (Western guns will not be handed / harder to hand out because we are in Eastern Europe)

RedMan

Electron
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
I think I am about done with HL2RP. The mere thought of joining the server is repulsive to me at this moment. There are the people that are trying different initiatives in order to try to make the experience a tad better on the server and then you have the moaners that keep cycling to the same boring and exhausting drama. Making accusatory remarks and other crap.

I have been making an emphasis on focusing on the roleplay aspect of the server this season, and as much as people would likely to believe this map has been about roleplay, the majority of it has been about Shoot to kill. Actually, I think that is what the past couple maps have been about now that I think of it. Raid that. Kill them. Buff us. Infinite that. That is not to discredit those that have made an effort to setup something up on the server, such as the Fisherman fishing the fish, Rogue Cop Tavern and the Merchant Stalls.

At this rate just rename the gamemode to HL2FPS. It has been made evident on the forum, private messages, and various discords that people are here to shoot other players and hold little interest in roleplay in its self.

Trains

HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
I think I am about done with HL2RP. The mere thought of joining the server is repulsive to me at this moment. There are the people that are trying different initiatives in order to try to make the experience a tad better on the server and then you have the moaners that keep cycling to the same boring and exhausting drama. Making accusatory remarks and other crap.

I have been making an emphasis on focusing on the roleplay aspect of the server this season, and as much as people would likely to believe this map has been about roleplay, the majority of it has been about Shoot to kill. Actually, I think that is what the past couple maps have been about now that I think of it. Raid that. Kill them. Buff us. Infinite that. That is not to discredit those that have made an effort to setup something up on the server, such as the Fisherman fishing the fish, Rogue Cop Tavern and the Merchant Stalls.

At this rate just rename the gamemode to HL2FPS. It has been made evident on the forum, private messages, and various discords that people are here to shoot other players and hold little interest in roleplay in its self.
what

Blitz0012

Proton
Nebulae
not saying rebels should have the same structure as the Combine, but at least something similar to it. Controlling everything the way it currently is is very grueling and not fun.
I personally believe we should just have Lambda show up again. Instead of 'contracted' cells, we just each become part of Lambda. It's inevitable that Lambda would have to absorb a lot of rebel cells anyway, so why not just RP that? If people are worried about losing out on their cool cell RP/story, just have Lambda absorb all the cells officially but let them keep their logos and such as unit markers. Lambda chars can come in as the main command, then set a basic rank structure throughout the rebels - nothing intense like the Combine, just something basic. Overall commander role, his 2ic (probably both admin or applied for chars at the start), then assign the rebel cell leaders a flat unit commander rank, then either have another rank below them or just end there. Sure, things can get more complicated if they want - that all depends on how they want the rank stuff to play out in RP. Baseline, everyone being under a single, present command would reduce conflict between rebels (though never entirely), benefit organisation for raids and create a new avenue for RP. It'd also be easier to make a secured tactical channel ICly.

Lambda is significantly poorer in weapons than the Bucharest State because Lambda relies on black market supply routes that are often sabotaged
I feel like this take on Lambda sort of undervalues them. They did pretty damn well for themselves in HL2 and given how they now own City 24, surely they'd be getting on a lot better than relying solely on the black market. Hell, they might as well own the black market given how much they've been doing for us. Though all in all, not really much to it. I don't think anyone's really too worried about Lambda lore.

deathwolf

I AM SPIDERMAN, GRIST LIES! I AM HIM REALLY! ﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I personally believe we should just have Lambda show up again. Instead of 'contracted' cells, we just each become part of Lambda. It's inevitable that Lambda would have to absorb a lot of rebel cells anyway, so why not just RP that? If people are worried about losing out on their cool cell RP/story, just have Lambda absorb all the cells officially but let them keep their logos and such as unit markers.
yeah if Lambda tries to absorb me I'm going to bomb them I fucking hate l*mbda