Serious A HL2RP² Critique: Why I no longer enjoy it as a rebel main

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
It's inevitable that Lambda would have to absorb a lot of rebel cells anyway, so why not just RP that?
if you want to watch the armbands show up only to gun down all the representatives and cry foul when they get killed for it, sure.

Lambda chars can come in as the main command, then set a basic rank structure throughout the rebels - nothing intense like the Combine, just something basic. Overall commander role, his 2ic (probably both admin or applied for chars at the start), then assign the rebel cell leaders a flat unit commander rank, then either have another rank below them or just end there.
cells should always be free to determine their own rank structure, if they need to obey orders, sure, but staff shouldn't be dictating how the players want to organize their internal hierarchy.

surely they'd be getting on a lot better than relying solely on the black market
c24 is pretty much a ruin with most of the fabricators destroyed, priority would be to focus on rebuilding than supplying random mercenaries in a different country

yeah if Lambda tries to absorb me I'm going to bomb them I fucking hate l*mbda
gonna be honest whoever they would have assigned to lead us would likely have more sense than some of your finer moments.

Hunk

Extraction Point
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
They did pretty damn well for themselves in HL2
yes but we dont follow games accurately

how they now own City 24
Geneva is in a Berlin after ww2 state right now

My interpretation of Lambda is the one of a group that is primarily a major potency in terms of human-made research and scientific output. That's why they managed to cause so much damage to the Combine. They sacrificed military power and strength for technological superiority in comparison to other rebel major factions like Bucharest which is essentially a militarized democracy.

Reactions: List

deathwolf

I AM SPIDERMAN, GRIST LIES! I AM HIM REALLY! ﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
gonna be honest whoever they would have assigned to lead us would likely have more sense than some of your finer moments.
its our lack of finer moments that got us to where we are today.

a

Hunk

Extraction Point
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
its our lack of finer moments that got us to where we are today.

bro what if you responded to the group chat i posted my ideas for rebels there instead of talking in forums and ignoring my messages!!!!!!!!!!???????? fzq12dhjrohs2uhpsr72qynrduhzr3nuogfiadhmsgjdhnsimjchnglsdfcv

Hunk

Extraction Point
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I personally believe we should just have Lambda show up again. Instead of 'contracted' cells, we just each become part of Lambda. It's inevitable that Lambda would have to absorb a lot of rebel cells anyway, so why not just RP that? If people are worried about losing out on their cool cell RP/story, just have Lambda absorb all the cells officially but let them keep their logos and such as unit markers. Lambda chars can come in as the main command, then set a basic rank structure throughout the rebels - nothing intense like the Combine, just something basic. Overall commander role, his 2ic (probably both admin or applied for chars at the start), then assign the rebel cell leaders a flat unit commander rank, then either have another rank below them or just end there. Sure, things can get more complicated if they want - that all depends on how they want the rank stuff to play out in RP. Baseline, everyone being under a single, present command would reduce conflict between rebels (though never entirely), benefit organisation for raids and create a new avenue for RP. It'd also be easier to make a secured tactical channel ICly.
bro we trying to make something different from the standard hl2 story :(

Blitz0012

Proton
Nebulae
if you want to watch the armbands show up only to gun down all the representatives and cry foul when they get killed for it, sure.
Would be funny.
cells should always be free to determine their own rank structure, if they need to obey orders, sure, but staff shouldn't be dictating how the players want to organize their internal hierarchy.
I feel if there has to be a central command, there just has to be an obviously set structure at least to identify cell leaders. All that only matters if we tried making a central command though.
Geneva is in a Berlin after ww2 state right now
They dan gon blew up the genever.
My interpretation of Lambda is the one of a group that is primarily a major potency in terms of human-made research and scientific output. That's why they managed to cause so much damage to the Combine. They sacrificed military power and strength for technological superiority in comparison to other rebel major factions like Bucharest which is essentially a militarized democracy.
That's a fair thought, makes sense as to why they had so many AR2s but everything else was MP7s and stolen CP kit.

Nathant18

Blue Ball
HL2 RP Server Director
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
idk where all your dislike towards our group comes from but saying this just doesn't make any sense. When have we ever done anything at all similar to this lmao

The world won't fall to hell if, for example, the rebels get a vendor like the Combine. You might say that the current on-server solution for this is 'trade with agora/emergents bro!!!'. I'm sorry to say this, and I'll be brutally honest, but doing both is starting to become next-to-impossible. Because of the last few raids, I've been starting to run out of valuable things to trade, due to the sheer amount of people who died. Trading with the emergents is also no longer a viable option as the NPC tool got removed, making a raid on the antlion caves unfeasible at the current time.
Speaking from someone who pushed to have armour scraps removed from the vendor in place of having them sold cheap from merchants/traders, the idea was that they were going to be so cheap that you'd always be able to buy them, usually with low tier ammo like .45 ACP and 9mm, which were supposed to be easily acquirable, though I don't know how this actually played out on the server, the overall intention was to keep rebels and rp flowing within Agora given that was what was wanted from the start for this map (from what I could tell). Obviously, it doesn't seem like this has happened given the problems you've raised and if it is getting to the point where you have no armour for extended periods then yeah maybe re-adding them to the vendor is the right play.

I do want to note that originally we had planned to make armour scraps stackable to ease the inventory space they'd take given how many armour scraps would be wanted by rebels and obv merchants/traders are going to need to store them somehow, unfortunately tho this wasn't easily doable dev-side so we just scrapped it (irrelevant to the point anyways, just wanted to add a bit more context behind my thought process on wanting them initially removed from the vendor)

deathwolf

GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
idk where all your dislike towards our group comes from but saying this just doesn't make any sense. When have we ever done anything at all similar to this lmao

Speaking from someone who pushed to have armour scraps removed from the vendor in place of having them sold cheap from merchants/traders, the idea was that they were going to be so cheap that you'd always be able to buy them, usually with low tier ammo like .45 ACP and 9mm, which were supposed to be easily acquirable, though I don't know how this actually played out on the server, the overall intention was to keep rebels and rp flowing within Agora given that was what was wanted from the start for this map (from what I could tell). Obviously, it doesn't seem like this has happened given the problems you've raised and if it is getting to the point where you have no armour for extended periods then yeah maybe re-adding them to the vendor is the right play.

I do want to note that originally we had planned to make armour scraps stackable to ease the inventory space they'd take given how many armour scraps would be wanted by rebels and obv merchants/traders are going to need to store them somehow, unfortunately tho this wasn't easily doable dev-side so we just scrapped it (irrelevant to the point anyways, just wanted to add a bit more context behind my thought process on wanting them initially removed from the vendor)
I ordered 50 armour scraps 4 or 5 days ago now and still haven't been able to get em;. Them being cheap is rly nice but it doesn't matter when it takes this long to receive it

Reggie

fresh prince of baghdad
Nebulae
tbh i'm not a fan of the merchant system, it brings back all of the worst aspects of the rebel scene from two years ago

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
you guys got really ticked about lambda docking a few percentages to the point of cutting yourselves off from lambda & the cell system, and remain the most vocal towards them, dwarfing even orsted.

it really isn't far fetched to imagine that in the case of some bizarre lambda-led attempt at seizing control of all cells you would respond with force.

deathwolf

GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
tbh i'm not a fan of the merchant system, it brings back all of the worst aspects of the rebel scene from two years ago
I like it I just think it needs 2 b more efficient, don't use it if u don't like it

Reggie

fresh prince of baghdad
Nebulae
I like it I just think it needs 2 b more efficient, don't use it if u don't like it
it's the main way to get things, especially higher end stuff that usually isn't in cell supply drops

Nathant18

Blue Ball
HL2 RP Server Director
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
you guys got really ticked about lambda docking a few percentages to the point of cutting yourselves off from lambda & the cell system, and remain the most vocal towards them, dwarfing even orsted.

it really isn't far fetched to imagine that in the case of some bizarre lambda-led attempt at seizing control of all cells you would respond with force.
Yeah, probably, but I was mainly referring to this part of your post
and cry foul when they get killed for it

Nathant18

Blue Ball
HL2 RP Server Director
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
solely on ovxy's past performances for that, you can ascribe the rest of your members whichever way
Weird but whatever man
It was made in response to the lack of cell acquisitions really, we needed something that was more frequent so that people didn't have to go days without literally anything, and it's also a lot more friendly towards people who don't align themselves with any established group.

I'm not saying it has no problems whatsoever, and admittedly I've been quite inactive as of the past week due to taking a break but from what I can tell it seems to be fulfilling its purpose. I'm open to hear specifically what you dislike about it and whether you reckon it can be improved upon, or whether it's the actual system as a whole you have an issue with, in which case I'm also open to hearing ideas that could replace it (not that it's my call, but talking about alternatives isn't exactly an issue). I don't think it can be entirely abolished given it plays a substantial role in allowing players to get equipment.

Blitz0012

Proton
Nebulae
so cheap that you'd always be able to buy them, usually with low tier ammo like .45 ACP and 9mm
Wouldn't it always be easier to ask for scraps from cell resupplies rather than ask for ammo and trade it? It also depends on if traders have order it, if so they'd have to wait an extra day anyway.

I'm not actually sure where you'd be finding assorted ammo types to trade without trading, I suppose scavengers could find it. Traders could also accept the 9x18 from the vendor to trade for scraps - which is just infinite scraps with an extra step if they did.

Nathant18

Blue Ball
HL2 RP Server Director
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I ordered 50 armour scraps 4 or 5 days ago now and still haven't been able to get em;. Them being cheap is rly nice but it doesn't matter when it takes this long to receive it
Sorry I missed this post, I think this may be miscommunication between myself and the merchants tbh, so items will usually increase in price when a lot of an item is purchased, this was specifically not intended to apply to armour scraps given their importance but I'm fairly certain this wasn't properly communicated, so people have only been buying them in smaller chunks each day as opposed to simply fulfilling the entire order (I've put a message in the discord now so this shouldn't be an issue anymore)

Unless it's a case of those running the system not responding to the order (Like I said I'm taking a break so I've not kept up to date on orders but I know RedMan has been doing them as well as getting others on board with fulfilling them)
Wouldn't it always be easier to ask for scraps from cell resupplies rather than ask for ammo and trade it? It also depends on if traders have order it, if so they'd have to wait an extra day anyway.

I'm not actually sure where you'd be finding assorted ammo types to trade without trading, I suppose scavengers could find it. Traders could also accept the 9x18 from the vendor to trade for scraps - which is just infinite scraps with an extra step if they did.
It'd be easier sure, but cell resupplies are not as consistent and frequent as what we intend the merchant system to be, the only caveat being that the merchant system isn't free. They're supposed to work alongside each other.

As for the low-tier ammo types, like I said I'm not really sure how it's playing out on the server, but if it's a case of these ammo types basically not existing outside of scavengers being able to find them, then I think that's something that we need to address too.