Suggestion allow voice comms again

NiGHT

Quark
Premium Member
Nebulae
I'd object, forcing text RP means its higher quality RP than voice RP, it becomes a case of how well someone can voice act. Someone can jump into a convo and scream into their mic,

Text RP also slows it down, which can be seen as a bad thing, but it forces people to think what their char will do instead of spewing out what comes to mind.

Maybe for radios only or something... But I really like that the server doesn't have people screaming into their mics. If the server was whitelisted, sure, I'd be up for a open mic. But this server has quality RP, when I fuck off to another server that has better things, like Apartment ownership (or door ownership) they still suck due to minges screaming through the mic.

Reactions: List

ovxy

infamous instigator
Media Developer
Premium Member
Nebulae
I'd object, forcing text RP means its higher quality RP than voice RP, it becomes a case of how well someone can voice act. Someone can jump into a convo and scream into their mic,

Text RP also slows it down, which can be seen as a bad thing, but it forces people to think what their char will do instead of spewing out what comes to mind.

Maybe for radios only or something... But I really like that the server doesn't have people screaming into their mics. If the server was whitelisted, sure, I'd be up for an open mic. But this server has quality RP, when I fuck off to another server that has better things, like Apartment ownership (or door ownership) they still suck due to minges screaming through the mic.
It’s for shit like s2k and whatnot, it’s not a voicerp suggestion but to allow the usage of VoIP again

Andrew

Atom
Nebulae
Just as a note since this thread has been a little barren of reasoning -

Setup today was a straight ninety minutes. A lot of time of briefing, figuring teams, etc. can be easily figured out by sorting people into voice-chat and asking these questions, settling the rest in-character. I understand the other side of this argument - but it's a bit difficult to understand without people talking about it.
Does it gamify things? Yeah, of course - it happens. But it also pushes everyone together.
It's much easier to make a new friend and build bonds in your faction when you spend time in vc with people, answering questions and finding out more about the person behind the character. I've burned a lot of bridges this iteration, and it'd be a hell of a lot easier repairing them if I could just join vc and talk to someone when we're going on random patrols.

It's about socializing, it's about having fun, it's about encouraging each other, it's about a lot of things. A lot of this soul has been lost after the VC ban, and I'm sure many would prefer to go back to moments like C24 where we can celebrate a victory on both sides, cheering and jeering each other on.

NiGHT

Quark
Premium Member
Nebulae
The votes show the response. I don't want to hear kids screeching.
I say we take the leap and remove text rp

Voice only
Lets make neb generic like the other places and get loads of low quality RP, might even get Bub games on our server

boots

spooky skellys
HL2 RP Senior Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
The change itself was made not long ago after a long discussion with headstaff. We found that it just opens up for metagame and exclusion of the playerbase. I think it's pretty unlikely to be allowed back.

You would have a group of people who are clearly in VC running off and not engaging with stuff IC, which wasn't fair for those who weren't involved, because it was all being done in a VC.

NiGHT

Quark
Premium Member
Nebulae
The change itself was made not long ago after a long discussion with headstaff. We found that it just opens up for metagame and exclusion of the playerbase. I think it's pretty unlikely to be allowed back.

You would have a group of people who are clearly in VC running off and not engaging with stuff IC, which wasn't fair for those who weren't involved, because it was all being done in a VC.
Didn't even think of the metagaming element. but what about events? rebel raids or combine raids etc.

Also makes it harder to admin as there isn't logs unless someone records it

ovxy

infamous instigator
Media Developer
Premium Member
Nebulae

It was such a stupid and sudden change after 7 years of allowing and encouraging voice chat

People are still going to (and do) use voice chat while playing, staff just made it harder on themselves to control by getting rid of all the official vcs

I can recall a few incidents where I saw people blatantly in voice chat after the rule change.

boots

spooky skellys
HL2 RP Senior Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Gonna be that guy here and point out all the people that want it gone and are voting negative are people who didn't hang out in vc in the first place
Which shows that all the people who didn't hang out in vc in the first place felt excluded. Point being that it's a text-RP server.

ovxy

infamous instigator
Media Developer
Premium Member
Nebulae
Which shows that all the people who didn't hang out in vc in the first place felt excluded.
literally a them problem

I miss cp-team-1 20 man vc sesh

Simman102

the Scourge of Roleplay
Nebulae
The reality is that the people who this suggestion would affect do not care and use VC regardless, as evidenced by this map's CP dewhitelists, lol
Not that the rule can be enforced in any way bar some extreme self-incrimination

I don't really understand why people want this stuff gone in the first place though...?

ovxy

infamous instigator
Media Developer
Premium Member
Nebulae

rob

Nebulae
i don't disagree or agree with this suggestion so i'm just gonna give it a
smbl7qE.png
rating, as i'm neutral on the idea

i sparsely joined VCs, most of the time it was back in apoc/asheville on my cop but i remember joining the rebel discord VC back in c24 when there were like 10+ people in it just fooling around, it was fun

on the other hand, it's a bit jarring seeing a group of people running around, saying little to nothing IC cause they're clearly in a VC

either way I don't really care about whether it's enabled as it doesn't affect me much

Andrew

Atom
Nebulae
Trust me, I get what you guys are going for and how you might see that this might result in a shift off seriousness or gravity to people's decisions -

But to me this is kinda it. We're facing down a map people have lots of prior experience with, and both good and bad memories. I have my faith that the players that played WW3RP before can realize the mistakes made and correct them on this map, with the current community, and come out on top with something worth remembering. But I want it to be truly memorable. I want to have good times shared in VC so I'm not sitting in a call with my friends anymore talking about nothing as I type, the only person in the group that plays gmod rp like a doofus.

VC was something that dozens of the players that made up both sides had regularly engaged with, and then right when all of those people were done leaving - you removed voice-chat. Why not try to bring it back? Why not try to allow players to engage more casually with the server proper so that you can push general playercount up? The more you push it up, the more you'll get the trickle-in of proper roleplayers, here to stay and here to provide. Right now is an absolutely perfect time to try to nostalgia-bait people into trying things again - and asking about what rules are viable is a LOT easier in a voice-chat.

rob

Nebulae
Trust me, I get what you guys are going for and how you might see that this might result in a shift off seriousness or gravity to people's decisions -

But to me this is kinda it. We're facing down a map people have lots of prior experience with, and both good and bad memories. I have my faith that the players that played WW3RP before can realize the mistakes made and correct them on this map, with the current community, and come out on top with something worth remembering. But I want it to be truly memorable. I want to have good times shared in VC so I'm not sitting in a call with my friends anymore talking about nothing as I type, the only person in the group that plays gmod rp like a doofus.

VC was something that dozens of the players that made up both sides had regularly engaged with, and then right when all of those people were done leaving - you removed voice-chat. Why not try to bring it back? Why not try to allow players to engage more casually with the server proper so that you can push general playercount up? The more you push it up, the more you'll get the trickle-in of proper roleplayers, here to stay and here to provide. Right now is an absolutely perfect time to try to nostalgia-bait people into trying things again - and asking about what rules are viable is a LOT easier in a voice-chat.
yeah, I think we should be more lenient if we're wanting more players

I don't really care if the other side has an advantage over me because they're in a VC, I'm not here for the competition

Andrew

Atom
Nebulae
just want to also mention on a non-city map i don't think that a group of players walking past you without saying a word because they're all in vc wouldn't be a thing
in a close-quarters city map where you're funneled into civilian territory it'd happen, but on a map this big, eh...