In Progress Art of the Week: Halloween Special! Prizes!

Danny

Visual Powerhouse
Nebulae
Ok submissions are officially closed, I got a busy day so won’t be writing this up till around 8PM, will contact winners over forum convo to discuss their prizes

have a good day gamers

Danny

Visual Powerhouse
Nebulae
A.O.T.W S2, W26 (28.10.2019)
THE SPOOKY ONE

3PNvMlK.jpg
All artists come from humble beginnings, some are raised from slums, some with the silver plated halls of historic france. And here we are seeing the birth of an artistic individual from the slums of the internet and gaming communities. All the best my friend, but not this time.

This is a great and complex drawing, looks very W40K inspired imo but I haven't really laid eyes on that for the past few years. Has a great depth perception from the angle it is drawn in and with the scaled man on the right you can get a good feel for how big this monster tank/infantry carrier is. Love it my guy. Hope you have some aspirations towards3 concept art or something!

Great post all around on here, not too dark but still has room for some lighting improvements and minor details. This is an important competition this time so I'm being a bit picky about it. Muzzle flashes can bright up a larger area than you think, and even some back lighting on the Joel model would have been perfect! And the shading on the cartridge that has been ejected from the pistol is totally backwards, light should be on the right side towards the muzzle! Aside from that, the posing of each model looks very well thought out and position. Love it.

GK6Q8p8.jpg

There's a certain eeriness to the darkness. A certain paranoia accompanies the unknown. We find comfort in the small things during tough times, just something to call our own. We've done it since kids, an Olympic sprint up the stairs as soon as the light turns off. We fully acknowledge that there's no such thing as ghosts or monsters. But somehow, the unknown still strikes fear in us like a stake to a vampire's heart.

Fear is a unique but strangely wonderful thing. It's different for everyone, what someone may take joy in will cause another man to quake to his core. We aren't born fearing things, we develop them as we grow into the flesh we walk around in. Experiences, trauma, and stories. We get told what to fear and what to avoid. The things to like and the things to hate. It's all subjective. If you raised a child, teaching him to love everything around him. Would the child have any fear? Or is fear just a natural instinct nowadays people feel joy in playing with, watching movies that keep them on the edge.

Fear, what a strangely wonderful and unique thing.​
The writing and the picture are really good seperately but together they don't seem to do much for each other. This is mainly because there isn't much reference between the two; I.e. if there was something or someone in the picture that's clearly behind the kidnapping. Or even if the pose was edited in a way to look more like a photograph. Black and white filtering could of even done a solid amount of work for you here too. So, in summary; both things are good but they just don't necessarily go hand in hand together.

What a lovely thing to read on my train ride. A lot to swallow in that and I wonder how philosophical that walk was for you but it really did put some things in perspective for me as well. Very well written as well, like a mix of personal and professional at the same time with what I think to be pretty relate-able details and such. Wonderful work.

Edgy german rap vibes here. Love these droid commando models though. And the glow from the blade matches up well with most of the view-able models. Personally I would've had the red from the eyes and joints glow a bit more but the subtlety of it keeps it dark and fresh. And I go on about it all the time at the normal AoTW thread but like; resolutions my guy. This would've been a great picture without the two other models in the background as well. Like they're cool but don't add much. Think of the resolutions. Love it tho.

Blimey this is a good bloody drawing. And the close ups really do it justice as well to see all the intricacies of detail. Cannot bare to imagine the amount of thought that considered the details that went into all of this. Nothing bad to say, I've watched the move, seems legit. Love it.

Damn you Dudu you could've been on the ball here but you know what let you down? It's so god damn dark. I can see enough I suppose with the faintly lit smile and the balloon so I understand it's an adaptation of Pennywise but come on man I wanna see MORE of the scene.

-

First place: @Neythi
sjKDxE0f_o.jpg

I critiscied this one quite heavily, but I really do think it's great and with just a couple tweaks could be even better.

Second place: @Baker 's girlfriend
image0.jpg

This makes me want to be a better drawer.

Third Place: @Nyanpasu
Some people might say "hey daniel why'd you give money to this guy over the internet for creatively critiquing a roleplay forum on the internet?" and I'll say "because it made me think about the friends I don't talk to very much anymore, and that I hope they're ok".

u5forjm2o6u31.jpg

Sorry this took so long I'm on the train and I'm hotspotting off my phone LOL.

Hope you guys enjoyed the little special.
You don't agree with my winners? Too bad it's my money. I decide where it goes.
Feel free to write your own criticisms/tips too, or hit me up personally on forums/steam for any feedback on things you're working on.

But daniel! I hear you ask, who will take fourth place for your undying love?
That goes to myself, someones gotta, right?

This thread will die here and all posts for AoTW should go to the actual AoTW thread from here.

Happy halloween!

cns - he/him/his

The Winner
Nebulae
A.O.T.W S2, W26 (28.10.2019)
THE SPOOKY ONE

All artists come from humble beginnings, some are raised from slums, some with the silver plated halls of historic france. And here we are seeing the birth of an artistic individual from the slums of the internet and gaming communities. All the best my friend, but not this time.

This is a great and complex drawing, looks very W40K inspired imo but I haven't really laid eyes on that for the past few years. Has a great depth perception from the angle it is drawn in and with the scaled man on the right you can get a good feel for how big this monster tank/infantry carrier is. Love it my guy. Hope you have some aspirations towards3 concept art or something!

Great post all around on here, not too dark but still has room for some lighting improvements and minor details. This is an important competition this time so I'm being a bit picky about it. Muzzle flashes can bright up a larger area than you think, and even some back lighting on the Joel model would have been perfect! And the shading on the cartridge that has been ejected from the pistol is totally backwards, light should be on the right side towards the muzzle! Aside from that, the posing of each model looks very well thought out and position. Love it.

The writing and the picture are really good seperately but together they don't seem to do much for each other. This is mainly because there isn't much reference between the two; I.e. if there was something or someone in the picture that's clearly behind the kidnapping. Or even if the pose was edited in a way to look more like a photograph. Black and white filtering could of even done a solid amount of work for you here too. So, in summary; both things are good but they just don't necessarily go hand in hand together.

What a lovely thing to read on my train ride. A lot to swallow in that and I wonder how philosophical that walk was for you but it really did put some things in perspective for me as well. Very well written as well, like a mix of personal and professional at the same time with what I think to be pretty relate-able details and such. Wonderful work.

Edgy german rap vibes here. Love these droid commando models though. And the glow from the blade matches up well with most of the view-able models. Personally I would've had the red from the eyes and joints glow a bit more but the subtlety of it keeps it dark and fresh. And I go on about it all the time at the normal AoTW thread but like; resolutions my guy. This would've been a great picture without the two other models in the background as well. Like they're cool but don't add much. Think of the resolutions. Love it tho.

Blimey this is a good bloody drawing. And the close ups really do it justice as well to see all the intricacies of detail. Cannot bare to imagine the amount of thought that considered the details that went into all of this. Nothing bad to say, I've watched the move, seems legit. Love it.

Damn you Dudu you could've been on the ball here but you know what let you down? It's so god damn dark. I can see enough I suppose with the faintly lit smile and the balloon so I understand it's an adaptation of Pennywise but come on man I wanna see MORE of the scene.

-

First place: @Neythi
sjKDxE0f_o.jpg

I critiscied this one quite heavily, but I really do think it's great and with just a couple tweaks could be even better.

Second place: @Baker 's girlfriend
image0.jpg

This makes me want to be a better drawer.

Third Place: @Nyanpasu
Some people might say "hey daniel why'd you give money to this guy over the internet for creatively critiquing a roleplay forum on the internet?" and I'll say "because it made me think about the friends I don't talk to very much anymore, and that I hope they're ok".

u5forjm2o6u31.jpg

Sorry this took so long I'm on the train and I'm hotspotting off my phone LOL.

Hope you guys enjoyed the little special.
You don't agree with my winners? Too bad it's my money. I decide where it goes.
Feel free to write your own criticisms/tips too, or hit me up personally on forums/steam for any feedback on things you're working on.

But daniel! I hear you ask, who will take fourth place for your undying love?
That goes to myself, someones gotta, right?

This thread will die here and all posts for AoTW should go to the actual AoTW thread from here.

Happy halloween!

That last photo is sick

Reactions: List