Best Gmod year?

Hudson

Electron
Nebulae
bro my old man installed gmod for me during christmas 2004 after jbmod wouldn't work
i only played it for 1-2 weeks as there wasn't much to do before i went and tried wow
I'd happily archive any memories you have from that point in time. Sounds interesting.

Postal

Molecule
Nebulae
I'd happily archive any memories you have from that point in time. Sounds interesting.
can't remember much
think i was just fucking around in sandbox

i came back in 2006 when ppl were making gamemodes like the early version of zombie survival and one of the rp servers before tnb was formed
what was it, DRP?

Reactions: List

Northgate

:D
HL2 RP Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
2015 star wars rp

best of times

man I remember spending too much time playing star wars rp in 2015, I always played on Vision Roleplay

shit was cash, I was a massive retard squeaker back then but I loved it
still remember the planetaries, where admins just spawned in 100 droids, almost crashing the server and then doing nothing but it was still more fun than anything else

nar shaddaa memories

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
What was it like back then?
It was really really basic but GMod 9 was where it became similar to today; though the toolgun didn't exist, you had a crossbow that would have tools but not really.

In the first RP server I played, the admins would have to crossbow you and then the door for you to get keys. You'd pay the admin, same thing with cars which was a super easy way to get money every server restart if you were staff.

Postal

Molecule
Nebulae
It was really really basic but GMod 9 was where it became similar to today; though the toolgun didn't exist, you had a crossbow that would have tools but not really.

In the first RP server I played, the admins would have to crossbow you and then the door for you to get keys. You'd pay the admin, same thing with cars which was a super easy way to get money every server restart if you were staff.
yeah
you had to pay money to the admins every restart to get ur car back
f2 didn't exist so anyone could steal it

half the time ppl couldn't afford it so they spammed explosive barrels or cargo containers to lag/crash the server

Postal

Molecule
Nebulae
What was it like back then?
on most rp servers there was no ingame option in the gamemode to change your name
you had to do it in options on the multiplayer function
but eventually all that was removed when steampipe was introduced
broke a load of old mods but made it easier to install mods for gmod as it seperated all games from steam into it's own folder
the toolgun wasn't a thing until garry and valve started selling gmod on steam in late 2006 as it was just a hl2 crossbow

Last edited:

Hudson

Electron
Nebulae
Do you remember how many servers there were (roughly?) from around late 2004 - early 2006? And what gamemodes/communities existed? @alex @Postal

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
on most rp servers there was no ingame option in the gamemode to change your name
you had to do it in options on the multiplayer function
but eventually all that was removed when steampipe was introduced
Yeah, your RP name was your Steam name in GMod 9.

It wasn't until developers started using their own variables for names that it changed really.

Do you remember how many servers there were (roughly?) from around late 2004 - early 2006? And what gamemodes/communities existed? @alex @Postal
There was a good amount, maybe 100-200 servers but most of them were just Sandbox. Gamemodes weren't really anything people released, it was all private for that server. Probably only a handful of communities at the time, GMod Central was one of them.

Postal

Molecule
Nebulae
can't remember much
just aload of sandbox servers
noxious zombie survival in 2006
DRP for like 2 hours before it all shut down and some of the players formed tnb
some zombie survival rp server that used a silenthill map which i got banned from for stealing someone's pizza's(reskinned hl2 clock)

Osira

Neutrino
Nebulae
Facewan was and still is hosting GMod 9 servers, funnily enough. They had an RP server, here's a YT video of it. This is the earliest video I could find but they were hosting Sandbox/RP from at least 2006 onwards. I do remember it was one of the last communities on GMod 9 to remain on there along with some holdouts once GMod was being sold on steam.

Postal

Molecule
Nebulae
Facewan was and still is hosting GMod 9 servers, funnily enough. They had an RP server, here's a YT video of it. This is the earliest video I could find but they were hosting Sandbox/RP from at least 2006 onwards. I do remember it was one of the last communities on GMod 9 to remain on there along with some holdouts once GMod was being sold on steam.

there was some hl2dm servers that looked like this due to ppl playing it "not wanting to buy a mod"

think there is still 1 around

Osira

Neutrino
Nebulae
there was some hl2dm servers that looked like this due to ppl playing it "not wanting to buy a mod"

think there is still 1 around
Yup, Cold Community. It still rakes in about 20 players - sometimes even more, which is surprising considering HL2DM is pretty much dead in the water. It's actually a pretty nice server I frequent sometimes, most of the people on there usually AFK though and chill out.

Postal

Molecule
Nebulae
Yup, Cold Community. It still rakes in about 20 players - sometimes even more, which is surprising considering HL2DM is pretty much dead in the water. It's actually a pretty nice server I frequent sometimes, most of the people on there usually AFK though and chill out.
always been dead tho

Hudson

Electron
Nebulae
It's interesting looking back at the earlier days. Gamebanana has downloads going back to atleast 2005. I feel like there was a mad scientist era where everything had to be invented, before players commonly duplicated eachothers best creations. The popular advanced duplicated stuff was impressive like planes caked in wiremod features, but there's some soul to the nonsense that people came up with before then.
k60Xy5v.jpeg