Serious /book-club/

Discussion in 'General' started by Dallas, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Dallas

Dallas event guy

Nebulae:
    [​IMG]

book club general thread

post books you are reading and tell us about it and tell us about it: the thread

fiction, non-fiction, whatever
    to kick things off i will talk about a i play i read a couple of plays this week and im going to talk about the best of the lot
    [​IMG]

Blasted (1995)
    Sarah Kane

A hotel room in Leeds is the centre of a hellish spectacle as the quiet misery of an abusive relationship gives way to a war that is being waged outside.

ok now ur turn

• nebulous nebulous x 13
  2. Shrike

Shrike corn lord
    WW3 RP Senior Administrator

Nebulae:
    [​IMG]

reading Tokarczuk's Flights (2007) in swedish

sporadic stories but tokarczuk's a massively talented author. Finding myself needing to re-read or having to catch up if I read while overly tired or similar due to the way she paints pictures with her words. Honestly well worth the read, going to finish it and probably sink my teeth into one of her longer pieces (Books of Jacob maybe).

• nebulous nebulous x 6
  3. Gabe

Gabe Went to greece a jew came as a homophobic racist

Nebulae:
    [​IMG]
    Stations, Who's left? Over

This is a book I read for saturday, basicly tells the heroic tales of Reconnaissance Battalion 87 in the Yom Kipur war of '73. I find it rather interesting due to the fact how it tells the story from the complete begining of the Reconnaissance Battalion which is its formation to the start training and to the war itself

• nebulous nebulous x 5
  4. Snowl

Snowl Molecule
    HL2 RP Administrator Premium Member

Nebulae:
    Currently reading the rise and fall of the third reich its self explanatory and a bit of a chore to read due to its length but I'm gonna read it anyway

5. Dallas

Dallas event guy

Nebulae:
    read something by antony beevor, that's where i got started with ww2 history, his book on stalingrad is pure dynamite, such a pageturner, kino book

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  6. jamEs

jamEs fqjdlkmsbvqfgkhpoiuaeazer

Nebulae:
    [​IMG]
    The Mother - Maxim Gorky

Pre-revolution, 1906. A widow mother sees her son fall into the same attitude as her deceased husband - a true buffoon and a drunkard. She struggles daily in her work at the factory and seems to lose all her purpose in life.

Until one day her son brings some friends over. He changes and starts thinking more peacefully yet radically. The group bring books, literature, and start reading to one another vehemently, discussing different philosophies and ways of thinking. The mother appears intrigued and held back - as she is uneducated and thus almost illiterate - but does her best to support her son eventually, powering through her non-existent political beliefs.

The group begins having some revolutionary thoughts and decides to spread their philosophy through pamphlets at the factory.

something like that, that's where I left it for now. it reads very propaganda-esque, especially given the timeframe, but it remains a wonderful classic

• nebulous nebulous x 8
  7. Dallas

Dallas event guy

Nebulae:
    mmm yes gorky is *chef's kiss*

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  8. jamEs

jamEs fqjdlkmsbvqfgkhpoiuaeazer

Nebulae:
    ngl ngl i'm an insane sucker for any classic russian author

brothers karamazov is still giving me afterthoughts and 2+ years have passed. definitely a book i should re-read soon - feel like I'll have a lot of different perspectives this time around

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  9. Snowl

Snowl Molecule
    HL2 RP Administrator Premium Member

Nebulae:
    I actually have the stalingrad book by Beever, my shelf is pretty full but im tryna do an in order reading of ww2 and other literature, I only finished reading about ww1 and Hitler's rise to power in 2018 now I'm on the third Reich stage then its gonna go Hitler's soldiers, the Pacific war, the forgotten war (about the korean war) a book on the history of the vietnam war and then the cold war by some dude

10. Snook

Snook Moderator

Nebulae:
    [​IMG]
    Just finished reading The Book of Joy: Lasting Happiness in a Changing World by the Dalai Lama and Desmond Tutu. It is a discussion of the challenges and obstacles we face trying to live a joyful life with personal experiences thrown in. The book is supposed to be motivational and self-helping in a sense due to the fact that both of these men have suffered oppression and exile throughout their life but are still forgiving and joyful people.

I'm also currently reading When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi - A real-life story of a doctor who spent more than a decade as a neurosurgeon but got diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer. The memoir is his opinions on why life is worth living, from a man with a terminal illness.

• nebulous nebulous x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Nov

Nov Atom
    HL2 RP Administrator

Nebulae:
    [​IMG]

classic, horrifying, brilliant​

• nebulous nebulous x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. scrubmcnoob

scrubmcnoob Human Resource

Nebulae:
    [​IMG]
    A planet enjoys the warmth of many suns. Darkness is so foreign that being in an enclosed room with power failing can be catastrophic for one's psyche.
    A religious cult claims to have scripture of the ends times nearing while a science branch feverishly works to investigate a new discovery.

Very good book, would recommend for a classic sci-fi read.

• nebulous nebulous x 5
  13. LowArtDecay

LowArtDecay Neutrino

Nebulae:
    [​IMG]

I'm just about finishing up The House of the Dead but it's really good so I'd recommend that and nearly any Dostoevsky novel.

• nebulous nebulous x 6
  14. afran_

afran_ Proton

Nebulae:
    [​IMG]
    Never been one for reading but after I finished the games I decided to try the books out and I've managed to get pretty stuck into it. It's hard to explain but the storytelling gives me that deeper sense of the world that he's trying to portray and I find it more dark and eerie than the games in some ways. I never really understood why people are so crazy about books until I started getting into this, big thumbs up.

• nebulous nebulous x 4
  15. aperson

aperson Molecule

Nebulae:
    [​IMG]

You know what it is
    Just give me the nebs
    reading 1984 rn and I'm enjoying it

• nebulous nebulous x 7
  16. 951mark

951mark A Proud Moravian

Nebulae:
    Hundred year old man that climbed out of a window and disappeared

I guess the title says enough to know what is the book about.

• nebulous nebulous x 3
  17. nexus

nexus barbecue chips aint shit

Nebulae:
    [​IMG]

One of my all-time favorites for sure, read 1984 recently which fits in a similar category but I prefer this one by a long shot. Very bizzare ideas, basically a Dystopia where everyone(-ish) is happy. Don't really want to lay out anything specific since it could ruin the experience given it's less about the story and more about some of the concepts. If you haven't already give it a read.

• nebulous nebulous x 7
  18. '77 East

'77 East `impulse-approved
    WW3 RP Operator

Nebulae:
    Not really a /lit/ thing but hasn’t anyone here read Spycatcher, the book the Thatcher administration tried to ban?

Got some decent insights if you’re thinking of getting in-depth for stasiland.

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  19. archer

archer Neutrino

Nebulae:
    prefer 1984 to the brave new world, everything's been said about both so i won't bother to repeat it. just watch the movie immediately after you read it, it's a great experience.

[​IMG]

been re-reading that one for fun, it's basically a story about a con man some 30000 years into the future, where almost no crime exists, cops are complacent and bored and are thus easily outsmarted by the guy's well thought out schemes. interesting to follow the shenanigans, but, again, it's just a read for fun, so don't expect anything very serious especially if you decide to read the next books of the cycle.

• nebulous nebulous x 3
  20. Toasty

Toasty Roleplay Psychologist

Nebulae:
    [​IMG]

Go Down, Moses by William Faulkner.

Great collection of short stories that spans over several generations from the antebellum south and through the Jim Crow era. The short stories are connected to the McCaslin family, and focuses mostly on Issac (Ike), and how he struggles of coming to terms with his heritage of interracial relationships, incest, and slavery. In addition it's also dealing with the diminishing of nature, and over hunting as human society progresses. It's a hard read in terms of Faulkner's narrating style, run-on sentences (longest is 2-3 pages in this one I think), and Mississippi 'jargon'. However, a great depiction of the human consciousness, and coming to terms with one self.

[​IMG]

Also went back to re-read Catch-22 by Joseph Heller after the limited TV-series was created. A fun, and enjoyable read.

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice