Chernobyl 2019

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Everybody boolin' until you open the spicy meatball room and the meatballs are gone

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Quick review: Absolutely fantastic and horrific first episode.

Best scene for me was everyone watching the fire from the bridge with the "Its beautiful" comment and then you see the wind and the "fallout" and you know these people are probably going to be terminally ill if not dead in a few months time as it drifts between everyone as it lands on them and kids are trying to touch it/playing in it.

Genuinely haunting.

Everyone is either downplaying it or totally unaware of how bad things really are and it keeps getting worse.

Reactions: List

TinPan

Needs to blow his nose
Nebulae
O0H7E40_d.jpg

If only you knew how bad things really are

afric

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
they can't keep getting away with it

stunning once again, some of the lines gave me goose bumps

also couldnt stop laughing when Shcherbyna picks up the phone and shouts "SHCHERBYNA" into it

afric

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Torn between:

"We're asking for your permission to kill three men" and "It will burn and spread its poison until the entire continent is dead".
"have one of your men get as close to the fire as he can, give him all the protection you've got- but, understand, even with lead shielding, it many not be enough."

"then i'll do it myself."

5903D5019CAC19FAE9E754CE89854C1198368C85

chernobyl og

afric

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
its amusing how they go from "the reactor didn't explode, it was the control tank" to "if we don't do this now there will be 2-4 megaton explosion"

FieldersNL

heck
Nebulae
The ending of Episode 2 was truly horrifying.
You're in a dark room, under the reactor that is filled with radiation, equipment malfunctioning, the dectector going off crazy and you know you will be affected matter no what clothing you wear. I have respect for the three men risking their lives for the millions of people.

Last edited:

Black Rain (1989)

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Chardust
Nebulae
The ending of Episode 2 was truly horrifying.
You're in a dark room, under the reactor that is filled with radiation, equipment malfunctioning, the dectector going off crazy and you know you will be affected matter no what clothing you wear. I have respect for the three men risking their lives for the millions of people.

Wasn't even that they were risking their lives they were dead as soon as they stepped into the water, from that they were told.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Wasn't even that they were risking their lives they were dead as soon as they stepped into the water, from that they were told.
It turned out none of them actually did die that soon after - they all died later in their lives for unrelated reasons (I think the last died about ten years ago).

Still, they did it knowing if they didn't then millions would die.

Dr Heckyll

Molecule
Nebulae
you know there's people that went inside after the sarcophagus was built

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
isn't there something inside chernobyl called the elephants foot or something which is like solid radiation or smfn
"The so called Elephant’s Foot is a solid mass made of melted nuclear fuel mixed with lots and lots of concrete, sand, and core sealing material that the fuel had melted through. It is located in a basement area under the original location of the core. In 1986 the radiation level on the ”Elephant’s Foot” was measured at 10,000 roentgens per hour, and anyone who approached would have received a fatal dose in under a minute. After just 30 seconds of exposure, dizziness and fatigue will find you a week later. Two minutes of exposure and the body cells will soon begin to hemorrhage; four minutes: vomiting, diarrhea, and fever. At 300 seconds you have two days to live."

Its since become a lot safer to be near but you still can't get too close to it and unlike what fears suggested it only melted a little bit into the floor and as of now its only slightly warmer than the ambient temperature of the room itself.
you know there's people that went inside after the sarcophagus was built

Its kinda wild when you realise that (apparently) all of the fire fighters and people who worked in building the sarcophagus died around a year or so after the event.

I wonder if they knew it when they were building it.