City 9 - Map in progress

Roby

Proton
Nebulae
hi you tought i was done with this map,

well think again

i just re-did the layout of the map again and im fully satisfied with it's circular street layout for maximum looping CCA patrols

DA30DD01050FFFE66B8FB1C2E73420BEDB32B185

DED0AF265E6071EE32BCE7D61F303BBD94857575

84140603A9F030EFCF211D4A090D1AC1B4292AAB

4B28BC8B2821AA40B4FCED4FF8B1369484BD1A07

D199731B7838A88B7B283215345AD8B66304039B

Reactions: List

Roby

Proton
Nebulae
Only complaint is that the Combine logo looks a little stubby, vertex editing the top two points to extrude farther would make it look a lot better

Other than that, stellar work
Thanks for the tip, I'll fix it and probably add some lighthing effects too.

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
Could I ask about what the second picture represents?

It seems to be some kind of store, but I'm unsure of what it is.

Shadow Flex

Nucleus
Nebulae
I definitely like what you're doing here, but I'd say you still have work left for you in two key areas.

The lighting is a bit basic. It works for the atmosphere you're trying to build and it gives off a classic beta vibe, but unfortunately it's beta in quality too. Work on the brightness -- some areas are a bit too dark, others need to be darker. Create a contrast with brightness alone so that the player constantly switches between them as he travels. It makes him weary and cautious. The color palette needs some refinement, as well as the positioning. In the first picture with the banners, each of them has a different color, which overloads the viewer's sensory input (a fancy way to say eyes). While such a theme works for a cyberpunk setting for example, it doesn't fit what you're going for.

Also, use clever saturation and desaturation of colors to better adapt the lighting -- desaturate your overall lighting and only saturate the highlights -- such as posters and so forth. If there's too much saturation going on, the viewer will be overstimulated and will grow tired. If there's no saturation and everything's grey and dull, they'll get bored. There's a fine balance between both.

As for the second point, the brushwork looks interesting, but it needs some detailing. It's rough and edgy. Smooth it out a little bit and introduce some props and models. It's too empty and it lacks a personality -- use graffiti and posters on walls to achieve that.

I can talk in specifics if I could take a look at your compiled work. This is just a general overview. I understand if you do not want to do such a thing.

Roby

Proton
Nebulae
I definitely like what you're doing here, but I'd say you still have work left for you in two key areas.

The lighting is a bit basic. It works for the atmosphere you're trying to build and it gives off a classic beta vibe, but unfortunately it's beta in quality too. Work on the brightness -- some areas are a bit too dark, others need to be darker. Create a contrast with brightness alone so that the player constantly switches between them as he travels. It makes him weary and cautious. The color palette needs some refinement, as well as the positioning. In the first picture with the banners, each of them has a different color, which overloads the viewer's sensory input (a fancy way to say eyes). While such a theme works for a cyberpunk setting for example, it doesn't fit what you're going for.

Also, use clever saturation and desaturation of colors to better adapt the lighting -- desaturate your overall lighting and only saturate the highlights -- such as posters and so forth. If there's too much saturation going on, the viewer will be overstimulated and will grow tired. If there's no saturation and everything's grey and dull, they'll get bored. There's a fine balance between both.

As for the second point, the brushwork looks interesting, but it needs some detailing. It's rough and edgy. Smooth it out a little bit and introduce some props and models. It's too empty and it lacks a personality -- use graffiti and posters on walls to achieve that.

I can talk in specifics if I could take a look at your compiled work. This is just a general overview. I understand if you do not want to do such a thing.

Actually most of the brushwork is still heavy WIP, the buildings will have good forms but im making the basic crude layout so i won't have to plan it again and again, the photos are just a tease

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
Dunno man, I lost interest in that map because it became too simpler and vanilla-ish

Just out of curiosity, would you mind releasing the .vmf for people to play around with?

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
Nebulae
This would be a nice map to switch to once City 24 plays it's part. Very efficiently contrasts from the pompous dramatics that City 24 makes use of and is a great return to the gritty, industrial-esque roots we all remember.

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
This would be a nice map to switch to once City 24 plays it's part. Very efficiently contrasts from the pompous dramatics that City 24 makes use of and is a great return to the gritty, industrial-esque roots we all remember.

1. It's been cancelled.

2. In it's current state, it's nowhere near ready even if it was.

Nebulae
1. It's been cancelled.

2. In it's current state, it's nowhere near ready even if it was.
Well, damn. It was shaping up to be something really worth while. That's disappointing.

Well, hopefully, down the line someone can pick up where he left off and finish the map. We've got plenty of people in the community with creative potential who could make this dream come true.

Dicknose

Whatever happens, happens.
Nebulae
This reminds me of a Jedi Academy/Jedi Outcast map