Cyberpunk tickles my pickle.

depthjacks

Proton
Nebulae
I dont know what is it that i like so much about the idea of a "hard to live in sci-fi world", and its 10 billion other versions, created by fans of this theme. What do you guys think about cyberpunk?

Reactions: List

Tzula

Molecule
Nebulae
Cyberpunk, generally, becomes a massive mess of common tropes that make the setting boring

I've actually started to explore cyberpunk itself with my own setting in where a massive government is responsible for under developing countless world's to fuel a war effort that is this cold war.

I'd go into more detail about it though I don't wanna leave a massive wall of text here.

depthjacks

Proton
Nebulae
Cyberpunk, generally, becomes a massive mess of common tropes that make the setting boring

I've actually started to explore cyberpunk itself with my own setting in where a massive government is responsible for under developing countless world's to fuel a war effort that is this cold war.

I'd go into more detail about it though I don't wanna leave a massive wall of text here.
Dont worry, however, what i would recommend is to make a word file and then post it on dropbox/google drive/etc. with the file, of course, explaining said cyberpunk universe.

ddæ

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
i watched ghost in the shell
now i can't stop obsessing over cyberpunk
the redpill is watching blade runner and reading into the game that was made in the 90s as a point and click like grim fandango and building ur hype off that

GiTS is good but i thought it did get incredibly pretentious at some points
it is undisputed eastern kino though

mårten

Atom
Nebulae
the redpill is watching blade runner and reading into the game that was made in the 90s as a point and click like grim fandango and building ur hype off that

yea i gotta watch blade runner some time

ButtonLip

I really was wilbur whateley the whole time
Nebulae
I enjoyed Blade Runner and 2049 quite a bit. In terms of cyberpunk lit, I also read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and Neuromancer (though I found that although it's the 'grand-daddy' of cyberpunk, it departed from what we today would call a cyberpunk environment pretty early, when Case left Chiba city. After that it takes on a more conventional sci-fi aesthetic). I'm about half-way through Ergo Proxy, but I haven't seen Ghost in the Shell yet.

I guess what I'm saying is, I enjoy it, but I've so far mostly only invested energy in the popular, big name cyberpunk universes that everyone knows about.

I'm not a cool boi yet

Dr.Towers

Nucleus
Nebulae

GiTS is not pretentious, it's philosophical (and it was mostly post-cyberpunk for the time it came out) : (

ddæ

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
GiTS is not pretentious, it's philosophical (and it was mostly post-cyberpunk for the time it came out) : (
no mate it’s pretentious

pseudo philosophical exposition about how “le cyberpunk cop life gritty and evil I wish I knew how people define humanity.. : ~ (“ isn’t smart and it’s pretentious garb

just watch neon genesis, it’s close enough anyway : - )

mårten

Atom
Nebulae
no mate it’s pretentious

pseudo philosophical exposition about how “le cyberpunk cop life gritty and evil I wish I knew how people define humanity.. : ~ (“ isn’t smart and it’s pretentious garb

just watch neon genesis, it’s close enough anyway : - )
i dont think gits is pretentious, it brings up some good points of thought and doesn't overdo it
also idk where you got the "cyberpunk cop life gritty and evil" i dont really recognize that from GiTS lol

ddæ

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
i dont think gits is pretentious, it brings up some good points of thought and doesn't overdo it
also idk where you got the "cyberpunk cop life gritty and evil" i dont really recognize that from GiTS lol
yeah it’s been a bit since i’ve seen it but like the whole conflict of her being augment shit and the guy being completely human was a really gay little piece they shilled as “what defines someone to be human,,,, world so evil,,,,,”

it’s kino but it’s really hollow

Zak

Resident xenophile
Nebulae
yeah it’s been a bit since i’ve seen it but like the whole conflict of her being augment shit and the guy being completely human was a really gay little piece they shilled as “what defines someone to be human,,,, world so evil,,,,,”

it deserves some slack imo because it was one of the first of the genre to do it

like yeah the overall theme doesn't hold up amazingly compared to stuff that's come after it, but for its time it was amazing (also the animation quality and sound design are still top tier and hold up incredibly well)

Dr.Towers

Nucleus
Nebulae

You have to see it more of a disquisition on modern existentialism rather than a cyberpunk cop serie. If you want to see really hamfisted cyberpunk you need to watch the cyberpunk japanese underbelly of the 80'-90', stuff like AD Police, in which people with more than 70% of their body artificial are legally considered no longer human because...reasons? And in which a woman turns into a serial killer because of her cyber-ovaries.

ddæ

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
it deserves some slack imo because it was one of the first of the genre to do it

like yeah the overall theme doesn't hold up amazingly compared to stuff that's come after it, but for its time it was amazing (also the animation quality and sound design are still top tier and hold up incredibly well)
yeah GiTS is cool and in hindsight maybe i was a little rough on it seeing as it essentially revived a big following in anime at the time from stagnation

GiTS is definitely one of those ones that’s had definite attention to every frame and background which is admirable - whilst the story is a bit thin, it’s engaging and fun

plus gunfights are aesthetic

mårten

Atom
Nebulae
GiTS is definitely one of those ones that’s had definite attention to every frame and background which is admirable - whilst the story is a bit thin, it’s engaging and fun

plus gunfights are aesthetic
(also the animation quality and sound design are still top tier and hold up incredibly well)
the way it looked was the main reason i got into it from the beginning
i know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover but i am very picky with how an anime looks and GiTS really sits well with me for that

ddæ

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
the way it looked was the main reason i got into it from the beginning
i know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover but i am very picky with how an anime looks and GiTS really sits well with me for that
ive only watched like 3 anime because the ones from the 90s just look proper cool

Red Dress

Proton
Nebulae
Shadowrun is cool

Shadowrun is pretty cool. Besides the clunky system and obnoxious legions of d6s required the setting is fleshed out, easily homebrewed, and the gameplay is unique.

What I like about Shadowrun most is that the best plan for a conflict is to give a bloody nose then scram. Unlike D&D, Anima, or any other combat TTRPG system - Shadowrun teaches that prolonged fights and "to the death" is not the way to go. Victories are won through skirmish, espionage, political chess, and guerrilla warfare.

It is very "red light;green light" instead of "gogogo".

zoid

dispatch guy
Nebulae
If you didn’t play 2020 you’re not a true ponk, choobs.

ButtonLip

I really was wilbur whateley the whole time
Nebulae
Shadowrun is pretty cool. Besides the clunky system and obnoxious legions of d6s required the setting is fleshed out, easily homebrewed, and the gameplay is unique.

What I like about Shadowrun most is that the best plan for a conflict is to give a bloody nose then scram. Unlike D&D, Anima, or any other combat TTRPG system - Shadowrun teaches that prolonged fights and "to the death" is not the way to go. Victories are won through skirmish, espionage, political chess, and guerrilla warfare.

It is very "red light;green light" instead of "gogogo".

Honestly, all I ever played was the Shadowrun fps. Offline. Against NPCs... God I'm a fuckin loser