Serious Flanders' Philosphical thoughts and questions thread.

Flanders

Atom
Nebulae
Right so I wanted to make this because I like to do this kind of thinking and having a platform to discuss my ideas would be nice.

Here's my first one:

Is the intellectual ability to conceptualize the uncomprhensible the ultimate comprehension?

As in, We as intelligent lifeforms can logically deduce and understand the idea of intelligence and natural comprehension above a level of our own, and the concept of a greater uncomprehensible knowledge exists, and we are aware of it.

Could this reasonably be considered the ultimate intelligence/understanding of our universe? If so or not, why?

Reactions: List
D

Deleted member 2994

Is the intellectual ability to conceptualize the uncomprhensible the ultimate comprehension?

The ability to actually go on a level of thinking that's never previously been explored is responsible for many of our innovations and realisations that we learn about today. From the earliest mathematicians to recent minds like Stephen Hawking, they've all been invaluable for our progress in physics, math, and science, all by being able to think beyond their time's understanding of the subject matter.

So, in my opinion, yes. If you're able to accurately understand a subject to that high a level of thinking, you definitely do have the 'ultimate comprehension' that you're talking about.

Reactions: List

Flanders

Atom
Nebulae
The ability to actually go on a level of thinking that's never previously been explored is responsible for many of our innovations and realisations that we learn about today. From the earliest mathematicians to recent minds like Stephen Hawking, they've all been invaluable for our progress in physics, math, and science, all by being able to think beyond their time's understanding of the subject matter.

So, in my opinion, yes. If you're able to accurately understand a subject to that high a level of thinking, you definitely do have the 'ultimate comprehension' that you're talking about.
I probably phrased my idea badly, but that's not quite what I mean as far as the question though. From the looks of your post, you had thought I meant the ability to discover feats and knowledge previously uncomprehensible to be the ultimate comprehension. This is not what I mean. Take your thoughts out of an individual perspective, and rather view our species as a whole. We have the ability to understand and put together the idea that there is knowledge our brains are simply unable to understand, yet we as humans are self-aware to the degree to deduce this concept of higher understanding, even if we cannot understand ourselves what we know to be true. Is this considered ultimate intelligence and/or comprehension of our universe?