(for the millionth time) How I think FTRP could be done better.

steve maxwell

Proton
Nebulae
So for the millionth thread in a row, I would like to put forward suggestions on how to make FTRP into a better roleplaying experience. Now do note, I'm not that good at suggestions, and I don't know much about how FTRP was run, but I think these could help. Here's what I've put together:

FTRP: how I think it could be done better.

my knowledge on how FTRP was run in the past is not perfect, but I do hope what is presented here will create a better version of the schema if it is ever rebooted. (Spoiler: it won't be)

Here are a list of things I think should be added to add or improve upon the FTRP schema.

1. Have a dedicated admistration. One that is not only dedicated to the schema’s playerbase, but also won't abuse the powers given to them.

2. Make the mutants a bigger threat. Whilst mutants were no small thing in the first 2 attempts, I did notice both times that the main antagonists (for lack of a better term) were mostly, if not entirely normal people (the nrf, the purist guys who burned everything, and Frundtech themselves). The setting happened because of mutants, so they should have bigger presence in the backstory.

3. Improve on world building. To me, I did not know much of the world I was RPIng in other than we were in a quarantined North America. To remedy this the assigned lore writer should write about other parts of the quarantine, other than where the players are at that point (example: the game takes place in the east. The mutants living on the other side of the USA are said to be far more powerful than anything in the east. Their tier ones are our tier sixes.) And there can be far more than that. A swamp where the dead rise every night. Mutated animals that have gained enough intelligence to create their own civilisation, the list goes on. The potential here is quite endless. And not only will this world building make FTRP more interesting, but will give possible ideas for characters to be developed.

4. Possibly spread the mutation beyond the USA at one point. Not only will this provide a very interesting plot point, it will also allow for more maps to be used. Who wouldn’t like to roleplay the apocalypse in eastern europe, or China?

If you have any criticisms, or have any other suggestions, do tell me below.

Oxy[Morons]

ส็ส็็ส็็็็ส็็็็ส็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็ส็็็็ส็็็็ส็็ส็
Nebulae

RaphaelDeFusco

Electron
Nebulae
Frundtech was great for character development and passive roleplay. I personally enjoyed the PvE elements it had, like going off with a small group of people and risking your life in search of valueable items. It was always highstakes so you felt immersed when you knew you could get killed by anything or anyone in search of wealth.

Reactions: List

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
the reason ftrp is flawed fundementally, as a concept, is that there's no motivation to do anything besides simply "survive"

in hl2rp youre a citizen until you die, become a loyalist, cp, rebel
in ww3rp youre fighting a clear enemy

whereas in ftrp youre not even likely to die so your character just sorta exists

steve maxwell

Proton
Nebulae
the reason ftrp is flawed fundementally, as a concept, is that there's no motivation to do anything besides simply "survive"

whereas in ftrp youre not even likely to die so your character just sorta exists
So 5: Have some different reason to play the game other than collect scripts.

Goatson

Guardian
Nebulae

Which in turn made made FTRP a lot more focused on the characters and development themselves.
I find it interesting that towards the end, the only people still playing were those who didn't focus entirely on scripts, had well developed characters, groups and etc.
It seems more like a problem of the fact that the gamemodes concept doesn't fit the mentality of most players, where some sort of solid reward or goal is required outside of just RP and chardev.

FTRP works as a concept, but it will never work for our playerbase, you get me?

RaphaelDeFusco

Electron
Nebulae
Which in turn made made FTRP a lot more focused on the characters and development themselves.
I find it interesting that towards the end, the only people still playing were those who didn't focus entirely on scripts, had well developed characters, groups and etc.
It seems more like a problem of the fact that the gamemodes concept doesn't fit the mentality of most players, where some sort of solid reward or goal is required outside of just RP and chardev.

FTRP works as a concept, but it will never work for our playerbase, you get me?
Well I know that the roleplay works, plenty of space to work with when you ain't being smacked by a CP's stunstick. It leads to sub-groups taking form and agendas being made. I remember I was planning on assasinating the mayor as I was scammed out of being elected mayor due to bad communication from the arrangers. I was gathering support from the fellas in the crackhouse but the plot was ended due to staff not wanting us to fuck with their offical shit. (They even revived the Mayor after he died the first time instead of just letting it go with the flow and let players have influence over stuff like that.)

If we want a specific path for players to follow, we would need a highly dedicated event staff team that gives us a path of events to follow.
Something that inspires PvE where multiple people just work together to survive against whatever the event team throws at them.
[doublepost=1510150497][/doublepost]So like "expeditions" but server wide where a lot of people could die.

Goatson

Guardian
Nebulae
Well I know that the roleplay works, plenty of space to work with when you ain't being smacked by a CP's stunstick. It leads to sub-groups taking form and agendas being made. I remember I was planning on assasinating the mayor as I was scammed out of being elected mayor due to bad communication from the arrangers. I was gathering support from the fellas in the crackhouse but the plot was ended due to staff not wanting us to fuck with their offical shit. (They even revived the Mayor after he died the first time instead of just letting it go with the flow and let players have influence over stuff like that.)

If we want a specific path for players to follow, we would need a highly dedicated event staff team that gives us a path of events to follow.
Something that inspires PvE where multiple people just work together to survive against whatever the event team throws at them.
[doublepost=1510150497][/doublepost]So like "expeditions" but server wide where a lot of people could die.
This was a concept I believe me and @MaXenzie put forward in a much older discussion

Concept being of having it somewhat reminicent to TV shows like TWD where instead of just surviving there is a goal that people need to work towards, there being multiple ways in which they could do that. Based on approach to reaching that goal or solving problems, groups would naturally form.

An example could be for example:
Survivors are trapped in a canyon, and the path they got in there is now blocked off by a bunch of rubble. As each day goes, more mutants seem to arrive than the day before, falling down into the canyon city with the survivors. A horde is eventually expected to approach, and as such with no chance of withstanding such force, the survivors need to escape the canyon somehow.

This creates a scenario with a goal (escaping the canyon), a time limit for achieving the goal which forces players to achieve the goal eventually (escaping before the situation gets too bad/the horde arrives) and proposes multiple solutions that players get to think about themselves and pursue (examples being creating a way to climb out of the canyon town, removing the rubble blocking the only path, digging under) which will in turn naturally create groups and still allow the general freedom of expression, character and other such things that FTRP is known for.

I made a lot of ideas similar to that one back in the day when me and a few others actually worked on that concept proper.

Last edited:

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
This was a concept I believe me and @MaXenzie and I put forward in a much older discussion

Concept being of having it somewhat reminicent to TV shows like TWD where instead of just surviving there is a goal that people need to work towards, there being multiple ways in which they could do that. Based on approach to reaching that goal or solving problems, groups would naturally form.

An example could be for example:
Survivors are trapped in a canyon, and the path they got in there is now blocked off by a bunch of rubble. As each day goes, more mutants seem to arrive than the day before, falling down into the canyon city with the survivors. A horde is eventually expected to approach, and as such with no chance of withstanding such force, the survivors need to escape the canyon somehow.

This creates a scenario with a goal (escaping the canyon), a time limit for achieving the goal which forces players to achieve the goal eventually (escaping before the situation gets too bad/the horde arrives) and proposes multiple solutions that players get to think about themselves and pursue (examples being creating a way to climb out of the canyon town, removing the rubble blocking the only path, digging under) which will in turn naturally create groups and still allow the general freedom of expression, character and other such things that FTRP is known for.

I made a lot of ideas similar to that one back in the day when me and a few others actually worked on that concept proper.

i think i said

ftrp should be set either 1 week or 1 year after the first infections with 1 week being action-oriented and 1 year being more passive

the survivors need goals, primarily something along the lines of "an evac is in (other side of the country) and we need to get there" being the first goal, and then something goes wrong, and then something else goes wrong, etc

instead of "we stay here now"

Goopy

Molecule
Nebulae

I disagree
There's a certain roleplay server that shant be named that has the same "goal" as Frundtech, though, despite this, it's kept it's player base (until the owner changed the map to gm_construct).

FTRP can be done right, but it needs good administration. One of the reasons the other server had a constant player base is because the rules weren't too tight (no it's not begotten) and there was an active threat with monsters/enemies played by players and a whole range of diversity and thicc plot and lore.

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I disagree
There's a certain roleplay server that shant be named that has the same "goal" as Frundtech, though, despite this, it's kept it's player base (until the owner changed the map to gm_construct).

FTRP can be done right, but it needs good administration. One of the reasons the other server had a constant player base is because the rules weren't too tight (no it's not begotten) and there was an active threat with monsters/enemies played by players and a whole range of diversity and thicc plot and lore.

are u talking about respite

Goopy

Molecule
Nebulae
are u talking about respite

I am talking about a server with plastic men yes.
I ain't saying it had high pop, I'm saying it had consistent population at roughly 20-30
I think if for whatever reason if FTRP came back it should take influence from the server with the men of plastic.

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I am talking about a server with plastic men yes.
I ain't saying it had high pop, I'm saying it had consistent population at roughly 20-30
I think if for whatever reason if FTRP came back it should take influence from the server with the men of plastic.

just say respite lmao

its an okay server

the only reason its alive is because i think the owner makes up the lore as he goes along and basically allows anything as long as he likes it